Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Shohei Otani, Japanese Teenager With 100 MPH Fastball Coming To America; Declares FA

This article is about how the Yankees are interested in him, but it really provides a good Scouting Report on the "Japanese" Aroldis Chapman.

Stiff penalties are now inflicted now for exceeding $2.9M To Sign Any International Free Agent. How badly do Teams want him? Is He worth giving up Future Draft Picks for, and Paying expensive Tax Penalties for exceeding the $2.9M Cap?

To be honest I kind of miss the old days where Team's tried to outbid each other for Int Fa's, because you never know who might win. (ex- Reds with Chapman)

But Anyways, Who do you think signs him?

Still soured by the Kei Igawa disaster, the Yankees passed on Yu Darvish last winter. Will they jump back into the Japanese pitching market this offseason?

High school sensation Shohei Otani has declared that he will make the jump directly to the majors this winter, bypassing the Japanese leagues for the United States.

Otani, a 6-foot-4 righthander has a blazing fastball that clocks in at 99-100 mph, making him one of the more intriguing names to watch for this offseason. Several big-league teams have reportedly scouted him, as Reuters cited Japanese media in saying the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Rangers are among eight teams “leading the chase” to sign Otani.

Unlike Darvish, Igawa and Daisuke Matsuzaka, signing Otani would not require paying a posting fee. That could make him one of the hottest commodities on this year’s free-agent market.

Otani was expected to go in the first round of Thursday’s amateur draft, but he announced that he would make the move to the majors instead.

“I agonized over the decision,” Otani said, according to Reuters. “But I have decided to play in America. It’s been my dream to play in the majors since I started school.

“I want to play over there as early as possible. I will learn the hard way. I understand the risks. It’s not about the money. It’s about following my dream.”

The Yankees currently have CC Sabathia, Phil Hughes, Ivan Nova, David Phelps and a rehabbing Michael Pineda under contract for next season. They are hoping to bring back veterans Andy Pettitte and Hiroki Kuroda in 2013. Given Otani’s age and lack of professional experience, it’s likely he would begin his pro career in the minors next season no matter which team signs him.
    Source- http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1189826
    Last edited by xabial; 10-23-2012 at 07:51 PM.

vCash
    I do want to inform people of one thing I noticed on him.

Those 100 MPH pitches are with the smaller balls they use in Japan.

For example, Darvish lost about 5 MPH from coming over here.

But yes, he throws hard.

I randomly guess the M's or O's take a shot at him.

He sounds like he would be a mid 3rd rounder from what I hear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I do want to inform people of one thing I noticed on him.

Those 100 MPH pitches are with the smaller balls they use in Japan.

For example, Darvish lost about 5 MPH from coming over here.

But yes, he throws hard.

I randomly guess the M's or O's take a shot at him.

He sounds like he would be a mid 3rd rounder from what I hear.
    Huh? I'm pretty sure Darvish didn't throw consistent 98-99 in Japan... 5mph might be an hyperbole on your part, lol.

vCash
    Does he have other pitches other than a fastball? And nice observation Jeffy.

vCash
    He's done talking to teams already.

The teams who are in the running: Rangers, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Orioles.

According to Buster Olney the Rangers and Red Sox have been the most active in his recruitment, but I don't much stock in that.

Jeffy is right. He probably would max out around 96 here, but thats pretty impressive for an 18 year old. I've heard he has a 1st round draf pick quality arm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VenezuelanMet View Post
    Huh? I'm pretty sure Darvish didn't throw consistent 98-99 in Japan... 5mph might be an hyperbole on your part, lol.
    I can't find average FB speed from his Japan days but scouting reports said he was consistently at mid to upper nineties, and his average FB velocity this year was 92.8 MPH.

vCash
    Shohei Otani, the Japanese pitching prospect who intends to pursue a career in MLB, appears to be an elite talent comparable to those selected in the top half of the first round of baseball’s amateur draft. The right-hander had been a potential first overall pick in Japan before he announced his intention to play for an MLB organization. And, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America, Dodgers assistant GM Logan White told Japanese reporters that Otani could go first overall if he were eligible for the MLB draft.

However, the 18-year-old free agent won’t be draft eligible. Otani will be subject to spending restrictions as an international amateur, which means teams will face consequences if they exceed the $2.9MM international bonus threshold to sign him. Teams will be taxed at a rate of 100% for exceeding the 2.9MM threshold by more than 15%. These clubs would also forfeit the right to spend more than $250K on an international player during the following year’s signing period.

Callis suggests these restrictions won’t be too much of a deterrent for interested MLB teams. Boston GM Ben Cherington confirmed today that the Red Sox met with Otani, Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports (on Twitter). The Red Sox and Rangers “have done the most work in this arena,” ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported today. Meanwhile, the Angels aren’t expected to be heavily involved, Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports (on Twitter).
    . Intresting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    He's done talking to teams already.

The teams who are in the running: Rangers, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Orioles.

According to Buster Olney the Rangers and Red Sox have been the most active in his recruitment, but I don't much stock in that.

Jeffy is right. He probably would max out around 96 here, but thats pretty impressive for an 18 year old. I've heard he has a 1st round draf pick quality arm.
    100 at 18 is really impressive. His body's still growing too.

And, Not to sound racist, but am I the only one who feels relieved that a Japanese International FA is declaring he's "18", rather than a International Free Agent from a Hispanic Country. Just feels like there's more credit to his age if he's Japanese.
    Last edited by xabial; 10-23-2012 at 08:16 PM.

vCash
    I know what you mean xabial, lots of DR players lie about their age.

Really hoping the Sox can land this guy

vCash
    If you actually expect an 18 year old who is said to hit 99-100 to sit at that velocity then you have gone mad with expectation.

The fact that he hits those velocities is more important in that it shows he has supreme arm strength to go with his ideal pitchers frame, not what you should expect to see all the time.

If he comes to the states and can sit in the low-mid 90s during his starts then thats pretty much meeting expectations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    If you actually expect an 18 year old who is said to hit 99-100 to sit at that velocity then you have gone mad with expectation.

The fact that he hits those velocities is more important in that it shows he has supreme arm strength to go with his ideal pitchers frame, not what you should expect to see all the time.

If he comes to the states and can sit in the low-mid 90s during his starts then thats pretty much meeting expectations.
    x2

Just so everyone knows the article never said he sits at 99, even in Japan. Given him frame he probably could eventually sit around 95 if he progresses well in whatever team's farm system.

vCash
    Wow, an impressive kid!

vCash
    There's also the idea that he is still maturing physically and could add velocity as he adds mass and strength.

Whatever the difference in translation to velocity is, a kid that can throw that hard that young has potential as long as he continually develops his secondary pitches and his control.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-23-2012 at 08:30 PM.

vCash
    keep him away from the AL West please. I want no part of him. Even though the A's handled Darvish well this season, haha
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LakersA's49ers View Post
    keep him away from the AL West please. I want no part of him. Even though the A's handled Darvish well this season, haha
    the dodgers have been super in on him too, we could use him to beat up on the giants for you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast