Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt den Dekker

vCash

Matt den Dekker

Will this be the year he gets the call up? He has a history of starting out slow in the transition stage from one level to the other, so I believe that if he doesn't make the team out of Spring (which is unlikely), he'll start out very strong in AAA and get brought up in around May. He has shown he can certainly hit the ball and he is a fantastic guy to have out the in center. I believe he can be a very good player for the Mets in the future. More so in the field, but still very valuable.

I really like this guy, and I just want to get your takes on him.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 10-20-2012 at 11:59 PM.

vCash
    He is another guy that will strike out a ton like Kirk, though his defense at center field will be better. Him and KN are very similar players.

vCash
    I think he is a little faster with a little more homer power and better defense than Nieuwenhuis, but with much worse plate discipline. He has shown better platoon splits though.

But they are the same age, and Kirk is obviously ahead of him development-wise.

Mets should roll with Kirk in CF next year, and if he falters, hopefully den Dekker is ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think he is a little faster with a little more homer power and better defense than Nieuwenhuis, but with much worse plate discipline. He has shown better platoon splits though.

Mets should roll with Kirk in CF next year, and if he falters, hopefully den Dekker is ready.
    I would rather have him play the outfield as often as possible, no matter the pitcher, just because of how dynamic he is out there. I guess since the Mets will be player more games with the DH, it makes it a little easier.

It would be even easier if one of those two were just a righty... No such luck in Mets Land though. lol

vCash
    If den Dekker was a righty, he would have been in the majors already. He would have skipped AA and went right to the majors imo.

vCash
    I mean, just plays like these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZf6o7rM58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_-xrRHTMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XorbDHmX0Fg

get me so excited for when he comes up. There's nothing I love more than a fantastic fieldeing centerfielder. As long as he can do that, he will be great for the Mets in the spacious Citi outfield.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 10-21-2012 at 12:23 AM.

vCash
    Yeah I like him a lot too, but hitting is more important. As of right now I'd say that Kirk is a much better hitter who is almost a solid defender, but not on den Dekker's level.

vCash
    Agreed. I see den Dekker as a player who could be a good 7 hitter for the Mets, a place where he wouldn't feel the immediate need to produce, but can still be productive when he can. He did extremely well in AA last year, struggled in AAA but slowly got back on track.

Also, he's a guy who can steal bases, going 48-19 while stealing 21 all together last year.

He, and Kirk, both need to work on making more contact, that's for sure.

vCash
    At least Kirk has shown some patience and a good eye at the plate. den Dekker's plate discipline just completely fell apart in AAA. That will not play in the majors as a starting OF if he doesn't improve drastically.

I'm expecting an .900 OPS season out of den Dekker in Vagas. That will tell me if he's a real prospect or not.

vCash
    Honestly i think Ceciliani has an impact on this team before Den Dekker does.

The PCL should definitely help Den Dekker's statistics (and we know how good a defensive CF he is) but i think next year is the make or break year for this guy.

Next year he'll be 26, eventually he has to show he has the ability to be a major league hitter.

Just what we need btw, another LH hitter in the OF up here next year (Ceciliani being lefty too but at least he is a couple years away when maybe the Mets wont be so LH)

vCash
    Ceciliani really needs to stay healthy. If everything goes right, he could make an impact in possibly the middle of 2014 but more likely 2015.

vCash

I Think This Is His Year

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I mean, just plays like these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZf6o7rM58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_-xrRHTMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XorbDHmX0Fg

get me so excited for when he comes up. There's nothing I love more than a fantastic fieldeing centerfielder. As long as he can do that, he will be great for the Mets in the spacious Citi outfield.
    Has to be better than either Torres or Hairston in CF. Let's see what the kid has.

vCash
    Better defensively than Hairston in CF, but nowhere close with the bat.

If you think Torres is bad, den Dekker would be worse most likely, his plate discipline needs vast improvement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post

The few glimpses i caught of den Dekker tells me this guy is no where near ready for the majors. He swings wildly at everything. NL pitchers will eat him for breakfast.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    He's gonna be 30 before he reaches the majors and bench help at that. Great defense and xtra base power, but he could easily crack the 200 strikeout club and less then 100 hits for the season if he was a regular. But thats my opinion.
    " You seek Yoda!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast