Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Mariano Rivera Thinking Retirement

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said closer Mariano Rivera informed him earlier this week that he is unsure if he will play again or retire.

Cashman told ESPN New York that on Tuesday he and Rivera had a conversation in which Rivera said he was unsure if he will return for a 19th season.

"He wasn't certain on what he is going to do," Cashman said.

After he crumbled to the turf and tore his ACL in Kansas City in early May, Rivera vowed he would return in 2013.

"I'm coming back," an emotional Rivera said in Kansas City a day after the injury. "Put it down. Write it down in big letters. I ain't going down like this."

Now, with his 43rd birthday next month and as he's worked very hard during his rehab to return, Rivera has the familiar tug that he has carried for many years of possibly wanting to stay home with his family and call it a career.

In the past, Rivera also has emphasized that he expects to leave the game as an elite player. If he has doubts that he will retain his skill level, that also could tilt him to call it a career with the most saves (608) in MLB history and five World Series rings.

The negotiations for a new contract also could be a bit complicated. Rivera made $15 million last season, but even with the front office's utmost respect for him, it is unclear what it will offer him considering he would be returning after a season in which he pitched in only nine games.

This offseason, the Yankees are beginning to tighten their budget in anticipation of trying to lower payroll by 10 percent to $189 million for 2014. Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner has mandated the plan to take advantage of the new luxury tax breaks.

During his end-of-season news conference on Wednesday, Yankees manager Joe Girardi hinted that Rivera may not return.

"From watching how he rehabbed and everything that he was going through, picked up a baseball sooner than he was supposed to and got his hand smacked a little bit, that would tell me that Mo probably wants to play," Girardi said. "But in saying that, it's a decision that I think he'll sit down with his family, evaluate where he is maybe a little bit later in this process and how he feels and how his arm feels, to feel like you think you can compete at the same level he's always competed at. But I don't think that you push a rehab like he pushed it unless you think that you possibly have some interest in coming back."

Since Rivera had already vowed to come back in May, Girardi's words were taken as managerial-speak, the feeling being Girardi did not want to commit to a player who wasn't signed yet.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ording-sources

vCash
    I just saw it on sports center and twitter.

We may have to extend Soriano.

I have no faith in Robertson or joba in the 9th inning role, as of now.

vCash
    Soriano!!!!

Oh wait....

vCash
    Soriano!!!!

Oh wait....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    I just saw it on sports center and twitter.

We may have to extend Soriano.

I have no faith in Robertson or joba in the 9th inning role, as of now.
    Unless they know for sure that Mo isn't coming back, I don't think they can extend Soriano and have it make financial sense.

vCash
    i saw this around 4:00 but couldn't post the link from my phone. this sucks. i really wanted him to come back for at least another season so he doesn't go out on injury.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinsEvansDUO View Post
    Not going to read your posts or respond to them because judging by your sig you are a clueless nutjob. That girl is a 7/10 and you probably think shes a 10. Which means IRL you must be a 5/10 and sorry no offense bro but I don't talk to 5/10s or below, and by bro I mean never my bro.
    CousinsEvansDUO doesn't think i'm hot..

vCash
    Let's see how this plays out
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Serenity now!

vCash
    nooooooooooo one more season mo
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Unless they know for sure that Mo isn't coming back, I don't think they can extend Soriano and have it make financial sense.
    Thats why I said we may.

vCash
    Where are all the people who were laughing about losing Tyler Clippard?
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Mo is the exception to the rule but closers are generally overrated. If Mo retires and Soriano opts out, use the in-house options (Joba, Logan, D-Rob, Phelps) or sign Ryan Madson. Chances are if you give enough guys a shot at closing, one of them will figure it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Mo is the exception to the rule but closers are generally overrated. If Mo retires and Soriano opts out, use the in-house options (Joba, Logan, D-Rob, Phelps) or sign Ryan Madson. Chances are if you give enough guys a shot at closing, one of them will figure it out.
    yes. if i'm a gm in general, but especially if i'm brian cashman and I'm trying to not only improve my team but significantly reduce payroll at the same time, i prioritize my money by:

starting pitching
    middle of the field
    corner infield
    corner outfield
    bullpen

no reason to give anybody 12+ million to close

vCash
    Im fine with this. Mo has done his fair share as a Yankee.

Many available closing options on the cheap Joakim Soria, Ryan Madson, Francisco Rodriguez, etc.

We also have Aardsma who has done it before and Robertson is one year more mature as a reliever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Where are all the people who were laughing about losing Tyler Clippard?
    Hasn't DRob been as good of a reliever over the past 3 or so years?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast