Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How interested are you in playing a game of forum 5-on-5?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very interested! I would definitely come.

5 26.32%
  • Interested. It depends upon the details.

9 47.37%
  • Not interested. Too much work/not my thing.

0 0%
  • Stupid idea. Close this thread.

1 5.26%
  • Minnesota is too far away. Don't leave me out of the poll!

4 21.05%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by silverson View Post
    It's going to cost me about 1000-1500 euros to get there for the game. So...
    But PLEASE somebody record it for me!
    No, if you cant make a concerted effort, then our pitiful display of basketball or whatnot is unavailable to you! Just put you on skype and you could watch ti live.

vCash
    cool idea! it'll be fun if it can happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    The idea has been floated out there at various times with warm reception but no concrete action about getting together in person to play a game of basketball. I wanted to start this thread to see what the interest level really was and to perhaps actually organize an event a few months down the line (so people can take off from work or family if they need to).

A couple things we need to figure out are:

Who actually is interested?

When?

Where?

Do we get special commemorative t-shirts?

Okay, maybe I went too far with the last one...
    i will come ball with you guys. when and where. it is gonna be pretty cold out now so obviously we'd have to hit a gym somewhere. ima very good passer- thats my best ability. i played PG from 8th grade & HS, good mid range shooter, decent long ranger shooter. although i admit half the time i lack effort on defense(Bealsey-ish) lol

ima Jason Kidd type player. LOVE to pass, so if your on my team your deff gonna get the ball. i averaged 8 assists my final season in HS. that was a league best. lol. although grades kept me from playing after 11th grade.
    Last edited by RyBayBay; 10-26-2012 at 04:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RyBayBay View Post
    i will come ball with you guys. when and where. it is gonna be pretty cold out now so obviously we'd have to hit a gym somewhere. ima very good passer- thats my best ability. i played PG from 8th grade & HS, good mid range shooter, decent long ranger shooter. although i admit half the time i lack effort on defense(Bealsey-ish) lol

ima Jason Kidd type player. LOVE to pass, so if your on my team your deff gonna get the ball. i averaged 8 assists my final season in HS. that was a league best. lol. although grades kept me from playing after 11th grade.
    Then I will love you. I like to shoot.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I hate to shoot...

vCash
    Geesh, we're picking teams already?! I don't want anyone on my team that compares themselves in any way to Beasley.

Also, pretty girls are welcome as cheerleaders. But remember guys - 7s or better

vCash
    Geesh, we're picking teams already?! I don't want anyone on my team that compares themselves in any way to Beasley.

Also, pretty girls are welcome as cheerleaders. But remember guys - 7s or better
    Funny you said that. My 9th grade coach pulled me in 2 straight games for taking a jumper 1 foot inside the three point line. Both times, he says, "that is a low percentage shot, so if you are going to take it, back up another foot and shoot a 3. I don't want to see you shooting those right in front of the line again."

I learned at a very early age to not take long 2's, they are useless. And no, I never go hero ball, I always take them in stride. But I do love to shoot, always have, always will. Its literally the only thing I am naturally good at. haven't played much for years, but anytime I do, I knock em' down. The problem? My ball handling, timing, and everything else has slipped considerably.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash

its fine, i will surprise the people whoever is not on my team

vCash
    Funny you said that. My 9th grade coach pulled me in 2 straight games for taking a jumper 1 foot inside the three point line. Both times, he says, "that is a low percentage shot, so if you are going to take it, back up another foot and shoot a 3. I don't want to see you shooting those right in front of the line again."

I learned at a very early age to not take long 2's, they are useless. And no, I never go hero ball, I always take them in stride. But I do love to shoot, always have, always will. Its literally the only thing I am naturally good at. haven't played much for years, but anytime I do, I knock em' down. The problem? My ball handling, timing, and everything else has slipped considerably.
    I don't know that 9th grade is really a "very early age" but I was wondering where this Hawkeye sagacity came from.

Conversely, I learned at a young age that if you can't shoot you better rebound and play defense. My 9th grade coach (my second year of organized basketball) taught me proper shooting form and also how to run...

its fine, i will surprise the people whoever is not on my team
    I'm only kidding of course, but Beasley was the bain of my Timberwolves existence for the last 2 years.

vCash
    I don't know that 9th grade is really a "very early age" but I was wondering where this Hawkeye sagacity came from.

Conversely, I learned at a young age that if you can't shoot you better rebound and play defense. My 9th grade coach (my second year of organized basketball) taught me proper shooting form and also how to run...

I'm only kidding of course, but Beasley was the bain of my Timberwolves existence for the last 2 years.
    are you my brother? He can't shoot a lick, so he became a great defender and rebounder at the PG position haha.

vCash
    I've never played organized ball, played a few adult leagues and people always ask me if I played College or High School. I have enough athleticism to rip through you're average guy, but lack the athleticism the be a factor against actual good players.

One thing you can't do is teach size or athleticism, so when that comes into play my effectiveness will go down, although I've handle some big *** dudes before that were really surprised.

How many people even live close enough to get a game going?

vCash
    are you my brother? He can't shoot a lick, so he became a great defender and rebounder at the PG position haha.
    Ha ha those must have been some interesting 1-on-1 games. When I played on a team I was 5'10" and at the small school I went to for junior high and on my freshman team in high school that made me one of the taller players so I was a defensive 4/5 that didn't block a lot of shots, but held ground, attacked the dribble/passing lanes and found the right position for rebounds.

Nowadays, I just either work on my shot/moves and play pick-up games with whoever comes by the park. I'm more of a slashing guard now, but still a pretty good rebounder and defender (when I'm not simply crushed by ridiculous athleticism). I like to pass, but usually I'm playing 21.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NokomisLiving View Post
    I've never played organized ball, played a few adult leagues and people always ask me if I played College or High School. I have enough athleticism to rip through you're average guy, but lack the athleticism the be a factor against actual good players.

One thing you can't do is teach size or athleticism, so when that comes into play my effectiveness will go down, although I've handle some big *** dudes before that were really surprised.

How many people even live close enough to get a game going?
    I like playing taller more athletic guys to see how I can stack up. That being said, if they also have a decent jumper, it's hard to beat them with respecting a good first step.

I live in Robbinsdale just outside of North Minneapolis.

vCash

Steve, is that you? J/K, I have a friend who I have been trying to recruit to come to PSD who is a pretty decent passing PG.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

vCash
    Like I've said, I would love to get together and play but here are my downfalls:
    1) I can't shoot
    2) I can't dribble
    3) I can't rebound or post up
    4) I can't defend(and that's probably the best facet of my game)
    5) I have never played organized basketball at any level besides some pickup lifetime games when I was a teen and lately at my work. I can't handle guys who are 10-20 years older than me and my stamina in that sense is crap. I am in decent shape overall(I work out 4-5 days a week) but I have back issues... But what the heck, if we can get something organized, I'll show up.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast