Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Sherman: Ichiro "Strongly Wants to Stay" with Yankees

Via Joel Sherman: Ichiro Suzuki greatly enjoyed his time with the Yankees this season and “strongly wants to stay” with the club next year. Sherman suggests a one-year contract in the $5-8M range would get it done.

“We haven’t had our pro scouting meetings yet (but) when we do we will rank the available players and we will see where [Ichiro] ranks and how it fits once everyone starts engaging the market,” said Brian Cashman. The Yankees are likely to let Nick Swisher walk as a free agent this winter and Ichiro could theoretically step right into right field, but it would be a massive downgrade offensively and not a big enough of an upgrade defensively to compensate. My guess is the team will scour the trade market before circling back to Ichiro later in the offseason if nothing better pops up.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2012/10/she...yankees-78225/

| .372 AVG | 0 HR | 2 RBI | 6 SB | .438 OBP | .442 SLG | .394 wOBA |

vCash
    I'd love to have Ichiro back, and would love it even more if it's on a year to year basis. Though I strongly believe they'll be a team willing to offer 3 years. Which may cause complications.

vCash
    Massive downgrade in offense? Minimal upgrade on defense?

Is this clown blind?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

The Ace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Massive downgrade in offense? Minimal upgrade on defense?

Is this clown blind?
    The defense part I would agree with for the most part, but it can be seen as a downgrade on offense. In that case, you would have to hope that his speed will make up for it.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    The defense part I would agree with for the most part, but it can be seen as a downgrade on offense. In that case, you would have to hope that his speed will make up for it.
    I just randomly scanned for top fantasy OF rankings (which doesn't include fielding) and Ichiro ranked 34 and Swisher 35 in this chart.

http://www.faketeams.com/2012/10/23/...om-2012-part-2

I know that there are differences of opinion out there but if the yankees save $10 + million playing Ichiro instead of Swisher, i have no problem with it. Plus signing Ichiro might also persuade Kuroda to sign on for another year and not retire.

vCash
    i doubt he is back.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    sherman is a considerable upgrade at bein an a%$hole and a massive downgrade as a decent writer!!!!!!!

vCash
    Arguably the best defensive Outfield in baseball with Gardner, Granderson, and Ichiro all in there at the same time.

All we need is a right handed bat to compliment them but this is a must.

Make it happen! Love Ichiro

vCash
    hopefully he is not back next year. The team needs to get younger instead of getting older

vCash
    Ichiro hits for a better average and has more speed than Swisher, how is that a down-grade? Lack of power?
    Thanks Donnie Baseball, B dAwK 20, and Poncho_707!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nybigjg View Post
    Ichiro hits for a better average and has more speed than Swisher, how is that a down-grade? Lack of power?
    He did once he joined the Yankees, but for the past couple of seasons on Seattle he was not on the same level as Swisher. Changing from Safeco to Yankee Stadium and having elite hitters behind him may have helped though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    He did once he joined the Yankees, but for the past couple of seasons on Seattle he was not on the same level as Swisher. Changing from Safeco to Yankee Stadium and having elite hitters behind him may have helped though.
    could be a motivastion thing to, because what he did in seattle was irrelavent because of how bad they were. didnt matte rhow well he played, the mariners would suck. he came to new york and actually had a chance to matter
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nybigjg View Post
    Huge difference in power. Huge difference in OBP. Batting average hasn't been that huge of a difference between the two the last couple years. I know once Ichiro came to the Yanks he got hot at the end of the season there. But to expect him to hold that up over a whole season might be asking for a lot.

If they do sign Ichiro I would hope they sign or trade for another solid OF. Probably wouldn't be the worst thing to have Granderson get some time at DH and Gardner slide over to CF.

Honestly, if he could be had for cheap I think Melky fits this team perfectly. Obviously there are a lot of questions about how much he actually improved and how much was the roids doing but I do think he could be a solid OF for us now. And this all depends on him not getting a huge deal obviously, but its at least worth looking into IMO.

An OF of Melky-Granderson-Ichiro with Gardner as the "4th OF" but still getting plenty of time in CF if Granderson DH's and to give Ichiro days off and keep him healthy isn't too bad.

But again, it all depends on how much the Yankees think Melky actually improved without the roids and how much he'll get in a new deal. I give this a very small chance of happening just because its Melky and they've gotten rid of him once before but I don't think its a terrible idea.

vCash
    If it's for cheap, I say sure....for one more year.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I just randomly scanned for top fantasy OF rankings (which doesn't include fielding) and Ichiro ranked 34 and Swisher 35 in this chart.

http://www.faketeams.com/2012/10/23/...om-2012-part-2

I know that there are differences of opinion out there but if the yankees save $10 + million playing Ichiro instead of Swisher, i have no problem with it. Plus signing Ichiro might also persuade Kuroda to sign on for another year and not retire.

Are those fantasy things for the full season? If yes, then I can understand the ranking but let's look at the two of them since Ichiro came to the Yankees. Ichiro was a far more productive hitter. He also has the ability to do what the BS saber stuff leave out, advance a guy, bunt, steal a base. He can do that when he's on a hot streak or when he's not. That is something very few Yankee hitters can do and something this team needs
    Swisher needs to go. Ichiro needs to stay.
    Massive downgrade my ***

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast