Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Surgery not likely for Garcia, Furcal

ST. LOUIS -- Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak placed a low probability on either left-hander Jaime Garcia or shortstop Rafael Furcal needing offseason surgery to address their respective arm injuries.

Garcia, after receiving multiple opinions on his ailing left shoulder, has begun a rest and rehab program to address his rotator cuff strain. He is expected to have that shoulder re-evaluated in another week or two, but early signs are that the lefty will not need surgery.

The Cardinals, while pleased that Garcia should be able to avoid an invasive procedure, are aware that there is no guarantee the issue doesn't arise again next year. The club does feel confident about the number of internal options available should Garcia not be ready to begin the season in the rotation.

"Clearly, we're going to go into Spring Training holding our breath a little bit with regard to him," Mozeliak said. "But he's progressing right now in his rehab. He's feeling good about that, which is encouraging. But until you really have to ramp it up and put yourself on the mound, it's hard to know for sure."

Furcal still has not thrown since injuring his right elbow in late August. He is expected to begin a throwing program in November and will slowly build his arm strength back up so that he will not be limited when he reports to camp in February. Furcal, who signed a two-year deal last offseason, is set to earn $7 million next year.

"He has a few hurdles to hop before the calendar turns to December," Mozeliak said of Furcal. "That should give us a better idea."
    http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...d=stl#40044964
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    I'm not okay with either one prolonging surgery. Just get it over with. If Furcky doesn't have surgery we should just move him to second and pursue a shortstop lie Stephen
    Drew
    Favorite fighters:
    Ian McCall, Brian Bowles, Chan Sung Jung, Nate Diaz, Nick Diaz, Dan Hardy, Duane Ludwig, Mike Pierce, Rick Story, Jake Ellenberger, Wanderlei Silva, Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen, Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Rashad Evans, Phil Davis, Shane Carwin, Gabriel Gonzaga

vCash
    Garcia needs to have surgery now. He's gonna get to spring training, **** his shoulder up, and be out all year. 3 doctors said he needed it before a 4th finally said he didn't.

vCash
    Agreed. Get it done. Can't tell about furcal but Garcia for sure

vCash
    Well if Garcia has Rotator Cuff surgery, that could end his career. I don't blame him one bit prolonging it to see if it, in fact, is just a strain that can heal
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Hopefully neither need surgery but I think raffy isn't going to do what he did the beginning of next year. I think he should be moved to second base if he is healthy and let Kozma start which is the most likely thing to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stlfan544 View Post
    Hopefully neither need surgery but I think raffy isn't going to do what he did the beginning of next year. I think he should be moved to second base if he is healthy and let Kozma start which is the most likely thing to happen.
    Completely disagree about Kozma. He had a great September and start to the playoffs but then in the later games of the playoffs played like Pete Kozma. We've seen these feel good stories before, I think everyone's favorite is Bo Hart

For the whole playoffs he posted at .215 average. Had 1 home runs. Struck out 15 times to only 8 walks. 9 hits in 42 at bats. That's just not good. He also committed several errors.

I get people's excitement over Kozma with what he came up and did in September. But this is a lifetime .232 batter in the minors with lacking power and good not great defense.

The organization has to be looking at the fact in the NLCS alone he hit .227 no home runs, 3 walks and 7 strike outs. 1 extra base it and only 5 total hits. Then add in 2 errors. The real Kozma showed up for the NLCS. I get the whole team struggled in the NLCS but he doesn't have the track record like Holliday, Molina and Craig.

I think considering we have 20 million dollars coming off if they decide furcal isn't ready they will bring someone in. I see no spot for Kozma at all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Completely disagree about Kozma. He had a great September and start to the playoffs but then in the later games of the playoffs played like Pete Kozma. We've seen these feel good stories before, I think everyone's favorite is Bo Hart

For the whole playoffs he posted at .215 average. Had 1 home runs. Struck out 15 times to only 8 walks. 9 hits in 42 at bats. That's just not good. He also committed several errors.

I get people's excitement over Kozma with what he came up and did in September. But this is a lifetime .232 batter in the minors with lacking power and good not great defense.

The organization has to be looking at the fact in the NLCS alone he hit .227 no home runs, 3 walks and 7 strike outs. 1 extra base it and only 5 total hits. Then add in 2 errors. The real Kozma showed up for the NLCS. I get the whole team struggled in the NLCS but he doesn't have the track record like Holliday, Molina and Craig.

I think considering we have 20 million dollars coming off if they decide furcal isn't ready they will bring someone in. I see no spot for Kozma at all
    I agree, Kozma isn't anything to be excited about. His defense was pretty bad, and his bat came out of no where, but will likely go back to what it was. I would love for us to bring someone in, I just don't see it happening. Who is there to bring in? The FA options aren't the greatest, so it'd have to be via trade
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I agree, Kozma isn't anything to be excited about. His defense was pretty bad, and his bat came out of no where, but will likely go back to what it was. I would love for us to bring someone in, I just don't see it happening. Who is there to bring in? The FA options aren't the greatest, so it'd have to be via trade
    There's a list of free agent SS in the offseason thread if you wanna take a look.

None give great excitement

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    There's a list of free agent SS in the offseason thread if you wanna take a look.

None give great excitement
    I looked at the options, nothing all that great. Young is the most exciting one, and well...he wasn't that great, and defenisvely he isn't all that great either

vCash
    We may not want Kozma to be starting at SS but it's probably whats going to happen. Doubt we spend money on anyone. I hope Furcal is healthy and stays healthy all season and we can bring up our 2nd baseman of the future Wong. I think he is ready, or atleast very close to being ready.