Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Time for Miami Dolphins to think playoffs

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Look out, mediocre AFC. There’s a surprise team that is pushing for a playoff spot.

That team is the Miami Dolphins (4-3).

Miami won its third straight game Sunday with a 30-9 blowout of the rival New York Jets. The Dolphins are quietly playing some of the best football in the league and will be a tough matchup in the second half of the season.

The Dolphins entered MetLife Stadium at a crossroads. They would either make a statement against the Jets or fall back into the pack of mediocre teams.

Miami chose to make an emphatic statement and appears to be getting better as the season progresses. The Dolphins were subpar in September with a 1-3 record but stellar in October at 3-0.

What can we expect from Miami in November and December?

“Stay tuned,” said Dolphins defensive back Jimmy Wilson, who collected a sack of Mark Sanchez and blocked a punt against New York.

Although it’s early, it is time to start thinking of playoff possibilities in Miami. Here is what we know at the midpoint of the season: •The AFC East is having another down year. The Jets (3-5) appear to be toast, and the Buffalo Bills (3-4) also appear on the verge of collapsing. That leaves the Dolphins and reigning AFC champion New England Patriots (5-3) as the only AFC East teams truly in the running for a playoff spot. The Patriots are clearly the class of the division. But Miami is in position to push New England and compete for a wild card.
    • Speaking of wild cards, it is wide-open in the AFC. The Dolphins are one of six teams in the conference with a winning record. The Dolphins are competing with the Pittsburgh Steelers (4-3), Indianapolis Colts (4-3) and San Diego Chargers (3-4) for two wild-card spots.

With three straight victories, the Dolphins have the longest winning streak in the AFC. So why not Miami?

"It shows the NFL what we can do,” Dolphins center Mike Pouncey said of the win. "I think we deserve a little bit of respect now that we’re winning football games."

Pouncey was smiling during his interview, partly because he was engaged in the war of words this week with Jets defensive end Aaron Maybin. Miami’s offense played well, and Maybin did not record a tackle.

In fact, not many Jets showed up to play after doing a lot of trash talking during the week.

“Talking means nothing, as you’ve seen today,” Pouncey said with a smile. “When you play against another team that runs their mouth, we’re going to go out and play harder. That’s just part of the game.”

Dolphins backup quarterback Matt Moore deserves a lot of credit for staying ready.

Moore, last year’s starter, was in danger of being the third quarterback in training camp but kept working hard. An injury to David Garrard moved Moore up the depth chart. Moore stepped in Sunday when rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill hyperextended his knee and bruised his quad in the first quarter.

Moore proved he’s one of the top backup quarterbacks in the league by keeping the Dolphins' offense going. Miami led 10-0 when Tannehill was injured and won by 21 points. Moore played efficiently and was 11-of-19 for 131 yards and a touchdown.

Tannehill said he's optimistic about playing next week. But Miami should go into the game against the Indianapolis Colts feeling comfortable either way.

“We have a luxury not to have a drop-off at quarterback, no matter what happens,” Dolphins receiver Marlon Moore said. “So if Tannehill goes down, we have the luxury of having another starting-caliber quarterback coming in.”

It was never more apparent Sunday that these two AFC East teams are headed in opposite directions.

Miami is contending but also has good, young talent making contributions. The Dolphins have a franchise quarterback in Tannehill. Miami also has plenty of cap room and draft picks to make some major moves in 2013.

New York, on the other hand, is an aging team past its prime. The Jets had their shot in 2009 and 2010 when they went to back-to-back AFC title games. This group is too old and beaten down to make a similar run with the same players. It’s time to start the rebuilding process in New York.

That also brings up a major question at quarterback. Is Sanchez the answer?

This is Sanchez's fourth season, and he continues to be inconsistent. Sanchez had another bad game against Miami, completing 28 of 53 passes for 283 yards, one touchdown and one interception. He also lost a fumble. Most of Sanchez’s yards were gained in garbage time. He was booed by the home crowd in the second half.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said he didn’t consider a quarterback change in the game. But one has to wonder whether there will be discussions behind closed doors about whether to insert popular backup quarterback Tim Tebow for New York’s next game against the Seattle Seahawks in two weeks. The Jets, who have a bye in Week 9, would have two weeks to prepare Tebow to start.

None of those are concerns for the Dolphins. Miami doesn’t have to see the Jets again this season and is heading for bigger and better things.

“I think the future is bright for this football team,” Pouncey said. “You don’t want to speak too much on it, but I think if we just keep doing what we’re doing, we’re going to win a lot of football games this year.”

ESPN - James Walker

vCash
    I'll be ready to talk playoffs if and only if we knock off the Colts, Titans, and Bills (our next 3 games). If that happens then I think we'll need a win against the Seahawks and take a game from the Pats; that would seal a wildcard for us.

Adopt-a-Dolphin: Brent Grimes - #21, CB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxDolphan26 View Post
    I'll be ready to talk playoffs if and only if we knock off the Colts, Titans, and Bills (our next 3 games). If that happens then I think we'll need a win against the Seahawks and take a game from the Pats; that would seal a wildcard for us.
    Agree totally, but i do agree with the why not miami they have a good of a shot as anyone.

vCash
    I was thinking playoffs when we were 1-3. You guys are late to the party!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigtuna View Post
    Agree totally, but i do agree with the why not miami they have a good of a shot as anyone.
    Oh, absolutely... the only teams that scare me in the AFC are the Patriots, Texans, and Broncos. Those are the only teams that can light it up in the passing game, which would destroy us. I believe we could make the playoffs, I'm not sure we would stick around very long, although anything can happen once you're in. Also, we were able to stick with the Texans, if it wasn't for that disastrous 6 minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I was thinking playoffs when we were 1-3. You guys are late to the party!
    Lol same here..... But next week is a very big game for us.

Oan, we might be stuck with Ireland for a few more yrs fml

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YungDaSensai View Post
    Lol same here..... But next week is a very big game for us.

Oan, we might be stuck with Ireland for a few more yrs fml
    I understand a lot of people don't like Ireland, but is it really appropriate to criticize and be disappointed in him when he has contributed to building a competitive team.

vCash
    At this point I think we are a playoff contender and not a super bowl contender, but we are improving by the week and I may change my mind and this team reminds me a lot of the Niners last season. The Niners won with defense and their offense did just enough to win games, that so far this season has been Miami.

vCash
    I agree...but you really think we could win 7 in a row?

vCash
    +1. all 3 of those are must wins imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LA View Post
    I agree...but you really think we could win 7 in a row?
    Normally, I would say that's extremely unlikely, but our level of play and our competition suggests we can do it. It's not like we have much of a choice anyways; if we want playoffs then we need to do it.

vCash
    I'm a little worried about the colts guys, we are coming off such an emotional week/win and sometimes it's tough to come back from those types of games and travel to play a pretty solid colts team. Not to mention we are kinda banged up

vCash
    Anything can happen. We just gotta get in. I would love to face the Texans in round 1 of 2 of the playoffs. We are not winning the Super Bowl, so it would be nice to see how far this team has progressed throughout the entire season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsUp_23 View Post
    I'm a little worried about the colts guys, we are coming off such an emotional week/win and sometimes it's tough to come back from those types of games and travel to play a pretty solid colts team. Not to mention we are kinda banged up
    I'm definitely worried about their ability to pass the ball. I think Reggie Wayne can use and abuse our secondary. However, I think we are considerably more physical than they are. We'll win this game if we can run the ball, and Wake/Starks can dominate the game. We'll pretty much have to copy the Jets gameplan against the Colts.
    Last edited by SoxDolphan26; 10-28-2012 at 11:16 PM.

vCash
    I'm definitely worried about their ability to pass the ball. I think Reggie Wayne can use and abuse our secondary. However, I think we are considerably more physical they are. We'll win this game if we can run the ball, and Wake/Starks can dominate the game. We'll pretty much have to copy the Jets gameplan against the Colts.
    no because i think we forced the jets to throw the ball today, i think we should make Ind run the ball

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast