Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dodgers reportedly in talks to open 2014 regular season in Austrialia

The Dodgers and Diamondbacks are reportedly in talks to open the 2014 MLB regular season in Austrialia, per a report from the Sydney Morning Herald. The three-game series would be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Too bad Trent Oeltjen opted for free agency on Oct. 6.

''If we can get Major League Baseball's season opener, which we're working on, in a couple of years' time at the SCG, it will really put the game on the map,'' said Sydney Blue Sox chairman Bob Turner. ''Especially if we can get the LA Dodgers to come, where Magic Johnson is the spokesman-owner. That would be great for the game to give us a profile no other sport can really match.''

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that the Sunday game of the three-game regular season series will be scheduled for 8 p.m. in the United States, presumably Eastern time.

The Dodgers have not opened a season outside of North America, though they did play games during spring training recently in China (in 2008) and Taiwan (in 2010).

Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reported that the Dodgers have not yet commented on the story.

Aside from Oeltjen, the Dodgers have had Australian players Luke Prokopec, Craig Shipley, and Jeff Williams play for them, and had pitcher Shane Lindsay in spring camp this season.
    Thoughts? For me this would suck
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    Why the eff do we have to be the guinea pigs? Absolutely horrible idea. There isn't one good reason any team should have to sacrifice the beginning of their season so a bunch of drunken boomerang throwers can ignore baseball. Let a team that no one cares about do it. You know, like the giants.

vCash

Dodgers reportedly in talks to open 2014 regular season in Austrialia

Absolutely NO!

A Real American HERO !!!

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Dodgers rule.

vCash
    play over there during spring training, but DONT YOU EVER open up the season anywhere thats not the US
    LAKERS/RAMS/DODGERS/UCLA/MAN U/MEXICO
    Shut it down. Let's go home.

vCash
    they should do it like when the A's and Sox played in Japan, the A's were the home team, and the redsox got to keep all their home games, if we open there and still get 81 home games i am fine with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cg_la00 View Post
    play over there during spring training, but DONT YOU EVER open up the season anywhere thats not the US
    what about when teams started the season in Toronto or Montreal

vCash
    Horrible idea. Do it for spring training. I doubt Australians really care about whether it's a spring training game or regular season.

Not only that but if it's spring training we can keep certain players here in the states instead of having to take a long plane ride.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Do you know where Australia is? Not quite the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    thats different because its closer
    LAKERS/RAMS/DODGERS/UCLA/MAN U/MEXICO
    Shut it down. Let's go home.

vCash
    Don't really care because I am not a season ticket holder, nor do I usually go to the opening series (too expensive). I just watch most games on TV, and since they are planning to play the games during primetime TV for the US, fine by me. I dont think it hurts the team to fly across the world, its only for a few days and for all we know it could really help the chemistry of the team to have a 4 day road trip in another country where they all have to spend time with each other.

vCash
    ^ No.

vCash
    I go to opening day every year, **** this idea
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmu15 View Post
    Do you know where Australia is? Not quite the same thing.
    because of distance, so it's ok to open in Canada but not anywhere else, so if someone opened the season in Mexico city it would be a problem? or in Rio? or Japan like a couple years ago when the sox and A's did
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    I go to opening day every year, **** this idea
    even when the dodgers first series is on the road you still go to those?

why can't we open the season there but have it be the Diamond backs as the home team? so we can come back home and still get all 81 home games in Dodger stadium