Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Cam Newton vs. Robert Griffin III?

Just had a little debate with one of my buddies on the topic. I was split and said I'd take either... but he just loves Newton's abilities and believes that it's a no-brainer pick. Who would you take to lead your team?

Obviously Newton came out on top in their week 9 matchup but I still find it difficult to compare the two... Cam is in his dreaded sophmore slump, whereas RG3 is a rookie... but if I just had to I think I'd go with RG3. Redskins offense has completely come alive since he's arrived and he's so dang accurate. But like i said..I like Cam Newton too.

vCash
    cam because he would eat RG3 in a fight

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    rg3
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    RG3.. Hes just a better passer and higher IQ.. Cam Newton shoes no consistent touch on his passes and just feels he can power a ball through anywhere.

vCash
    as much as I dislike the Redskins.. its RGIII

vCash
    RGIII 4 me

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    RG3 and it's not even close. RGIII is a better passer, better athlete, and smarter QB. Cam Newton is bigger and tougher and has a slightly stronger arm, but I think those qualities are less important than the ones RGIII has. Also, I think RGIII has a higher character.

vCash
    Rg3

vCash
    I think it's probably too early to have this discussion, but I'd take Newton (I'm a Panther fan, so feel free to call me homer).

It's hard to use the argument that RG3 made the Skins better, because Newton did the same thing for Carolina. But for the record, RG3 and the skins are around the same record that Cam had his rookie season (Skins are 3-6, Newton finished 6-10).

Another thing people fail to realize when comparing these two QBs is their schemes are completely different. Rookie Cam vs RG3, Cam played in a 2TE offense based around the mid-deep passes and checkdowns (with a working run-game) and RG3 is in an offense that has more quick passes, as well as bootleg options to let him choose to run or pass (Cam's runs are usually designed runs with no passing option) and he also has one of the best running offenses to help him get playactions. Sophomore Cam is a little different. They dropped the 2TE set, and for whatever reason decided to pick up the zone-read option in the offense (which was terrible the first few games). The playcalling has mostly been based around deep passes, without first setting up the run game or short pass. But like I said, it's too early to compare, because there's no telling how RG3's offense will do next year or if it will have any major changes.

My main reason for choosing Newton is I believe he has a higher potential (all just my opinion). He has the perfect size that I would want in a QB. I also like his size because I think he'll be able to run for more of his career considering there are LB's who hesitate to hit him. Newton broke records last year and was semi-winging it. I think he'll be even more dangerous if he can get his mechanics 100% down. He still has issues with setting his feet, but I think some of that has to do with our terrible OL.

All in all, this is just going to be one of those bickering player comparisons for as long as they're doing well. If RG3 has a sophomore slump and Cam comes out of his, you can guarantee everyone will jump ship back to Cam. Same thing if some rookie in the 2013 season has success running and throwing.

vCash
    Love RGIII, but Newton. RGIII is going to get killed with the way he plays.

vCash
    Rg3.

vCash
    rG3 for sure

vCash
    If the Shannys bring RGIII into the NFL next year, then RGIII. If not then Cam, because RGIII wont be alive much longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    If the Shannys bring RGIII into the NFL next year, then RGIII. If not then Cam, because RGIII wont be alive much longer.
    ^this

PSD's Aaron Dropson.
    Honorary packers fan

vCash
    Cam will spend lesstime injured, and I still have a small man crush on him. So Cam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast