Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu View Post
    I know I wrote a touching post about Rodan two or three years ago.
    The original Rodan movie was quite touching.

vCash
    BTW, the GM meetings start tomorrow. Nothing too exciting usually happens there, just lots of talk to set up future moves.

vCash
    Yagyu - When you're above the clouds, things become clearer. A joy ride in every sense of the word.

But the actual plane washing, tough stuff. The grime is thick, tar-like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    BTW, the GM meetings start tomorrow. Nothing too exciting usually happens there, just lots of talk to set up future moves.
    Compared to the Winter Meetings, they don't get anywhere near the same media attention, but it seems the off-season plan is in place and underway. Based on the expected level of activity that ABTY7 has hinted at, I don't think it should surprise us if the front office makes a move.

Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    Yagyu - When you're above the clouds, things become clearer. A joy ride in every sense of the word.
    It's good to have you back on firm ground again.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    The original Rodan movie was quite touching.
    It really was.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Oh wow. A Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II reference....ARGUABLY the best of the Hesei movie...arguably.

Yags, may your tail blade always remain sharp.

vCash
    . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ~,_. . . ..~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .=,_. . . .-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .=-._. . .;,,./`. . / . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

vCash
    Doug Padilla:

The Cubs three official representatives at the meetings, which run from Wednesday to Friday, will be president Theo Epstein, general manager Jed Hoyer and senior vice president of scouting and player development Jason McLeod. Assistant general managers Randy Bush and Shiraz Rehman also will be on hand.
    We’ve had a lot of dialog with teams already,” Hoyer said. “I think we always try to check in with every team in advance of the meetings. Obviously we’ve checked in with agents of free agents that we will target."
    Bruce Miles:

“I would probably go in with the expectation that it’s groundwork with the possibility that things move a little faster this year. That would be pretty early. It’s a pretty early GM meetings, even by GM meetings standards.

“A lot of things happen after the meetings. You lay your groundwork. Things that are close to being done there don’t get announced because of red tape or medicals or whatever. It’s pretty unusual to be able to announce something at the GM meetings. It almost has to be in the works before you get there.

“I think the face to face of the GM meetings gives you a chance to further those discussions that you’ve already started. It’s always easier to deal with someone in person or have a conversation than over the phone. For the most part, we’ve already started those dialogues. This is kind of a continuation of that.

“It’s actually the first time we’ve had true GM meetings in awhile. They sort of coupled us in with the owners for a while. I can’t remember the last time we just did it this way. It’s kind of nice.”
    “[Payroll efficiency is] really important,” [Hoyer] said. “We talk a lot about payroll efficiency. A lot of that is getting to that point where you feel like it’s a payroll you’ve created based on contract lengths that you like. One of the things we’re very wary of is sort of jumping back in and muddying those waters because we know there’s a time in the future where it really becomes a lot more efficient. We’re not dealing with some of the contract issues we’ve been dealing with the last couple of years. I think our ability to have an efficient payroll is really important. You look at the amount of money we have to spend.

“I always use the bad analogy of the basketball center. If he keeps the ball over his head, it’s really hard to steal the ball. If he holds it down on his waist, it’s a lot easier. If you take a $120 million payroll and you put a bunch of bad contracts on it, the next thing you know, you’re not any different than a $70- or $80-million payroll team. It’s important for use to use our financial advantages correctly. I think a lot of that is by signing good contracts, being aware of contract length and being aware of the decisions we make going forward because we do have the opportunity to make that payroll more efficient in the future, and we don’t want to muddy that in the meantime.”
    “We’re not against long-term deals,” he said. “We’re not opposed to spending a lot on players. Given where we are, we want to make sure that when we have our young talent at the major-league level, when we’re ready to go on what we think is going to be an extended run, we don’t want to have a bunch of guys that are past prime that we signed in the past that are sort of hindering what we want to do.

“We’re not against committing to a player. We committed a lot to Starlin Castro. We committed a lot of years to Jorge Soler. We just want to be really smart with the contract length because so many times, you see these players, they reach free agency, and they’re 32 and 33 years old and buying ages 35 and 36. If you’re about to win a title or you’re one or two players away after the first couple years of that deal, that makes a lot of sense. But if you think your window may be more like those back two years, it does give you a little bit of pause.

“The thing we want to be aware of is not ending up with a bunch of decline years on our books. The prime years usually start with a 2 (as in 20-something years old).”
    “In general, outfield defense is something that’s important to us,” he said. “We would like to add a good defender. The ability to play multiple spots is important. In general, it’s been a Chicago Cubs trait over the last little bit (that) we’re very right-handed. The more we can get left-handed, the better. I wouldn’t say that’s a must criteria, but we need to add some good defenders. I feel really good about the right side of our infield right now with Barney and Rizzo. I think that Sori made strides. DeJesus does a nice job out there. The more we push him into center, the more we deplete that. If we can find a guy that’s a good defender in the outfield, it’s important.”
    “Honestly, it’s a position we’re looking at very hard,” Hoyer said. “Stewart is one possibility, and that’s a lot determined by health. It’s a position we’re looking at, a lot of different avenues: trade, free agency, etc. It’s not a position that’s all that well represented in free agency this year. It’s a challenge we have to figure out.

“It’s really hard because he obviously struggled last year. I think the injury that he had, or the injury that he felt, was something that goes back quite a ways. It wasn’t like it all of a sudden popped up last year the first time. It’s hard to determine how much is the wrist and how much is real struggles. We’re never going to get a perfect answer to that question. But it’s something that we can keep on looking into. The better his wrist feels, the more he can do, the more it can lead us to believe it wasn’t just struggles.”
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-05-2012 at 07:08 PM.

vCash
    ^^ Hoyer basically explaining that you have to plant the seeds before you **** the seeds.

vCash
    The issue is you can't spend a $120 million payroll "efficiently" without taking risks on big contracts.

vCash

21 Cubs Minor Leaguers Declared Free-Agents - Three Others Will Return

To avoid stealing traffic away from TCR, the list of players can be read after the jump. Per AZ Phil:

21 Cubs minor leaguers eligible to be MLB Rule 55 minor league free-agents (the so called "six-year minor league free-agents" and the so-called "second-contract minor league free-agents") were declared free-agents by MLB at 5 PM last Friday, while three others who could have been Rule 55 free-agents agreed to 2013 minor league "successor contracts" and thus will be returning to the Cubs organization next season.

However, the three who are returning will be eligible for selection in next month's MLB Rule 5 Draft (as will any other minor league free-agent signed prior to the Rule 5 Draft).

The 21 Cubs who were declared Rule 55 minor league free-agents join six others who elected to be minor league free-agents per Article XX-D of the CBA over the past month.

vCash
    Cardenas seemed like he might have some bench potential. Other than that, Iowa's roster just got cleared.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Cardenas seemed like he might have some bench potential. Other than that, Iowa's roster just got cleared.
    Good. The Iowa Cubs blow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Good. The Iowa Cubs blow.
    That's true, but there were a few times this year where I thought, if the pitching matchups lined up just right, they'd be favored over the Chicago version.

vCash
    That's true, but there were a few times this year where I thought, if the pitching matchups lined up just right, they'd be favored over the Chicago version.
    Same here. I was hoping for that Rodrigo Lopez vs. Justin Germano matchup to happen.

vCash
    Iowa's roster just got cleared.
    Seems like the the Cubs moved Triple-A closer to Chicago by way of Kane County and then the front office decided they didn't want those guys anywhere near them.

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast