Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    The funny part is the contest for doing it is for a signed cubs baseball.....just give me free tickets *******s.
    Baseball is probably worth more than the tickets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by croce_99 View Post
    Baseball is probably worth more than the tickets
    With my luck it'd be signed by Mather, Clevenger, and Lahair.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    The multiple brown people in the Cubs FO is very promising to me. Indian people weren't and still for the most part aren't baseball people, but it's the 21st century and baseball is growing.

I think I was the only brown kid I ever saw playing baseball through college (stopped playing as a freshman THO). Never saw names pop up in FOs either until very recent years...mostly in the younger and/or more analytical FOs in the league of course.
    This just blew my mind. I always subconsciously pictured you as Jim Norton.

vCash
    All Star significantly increases the value.
    To some, he was just a boy. A boy who played football, a football player that grew to be a man. A man that took over a city, a city that he made his own, a city that stands behind him in hopes of becoming one of that cities all-time greats. To some, 2013 was a fluke. To some, he can't do it again. To some, he got lucky.

To us though, to the Philly faithful, that QB is Nick Foles. To us, that's our QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheAutomator View Post
    same

vCash
    Make sure to chime in on the Mock Offseason so we can get things rolling.
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=775192

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    Same
    yes

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    Carrie Muskat:

RHP Justin Germano @JustGerm, outrighted by the #Cubs last week, has elected free agency
    Joe Mather and Blake Parker still have a few days to refuse their refuse outright assignments and elect free agency.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 10-30-2012 at 03:01 PM.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Double
    Last edited by SenorGato; 10-30-2012 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheAutomator View Post
    I might be half the sex symbol Jim Norton is and nowhere near the comedic genius of the man who came up with Chip Chipperson.

vCash
    Excerpt from chat with Bruce Levine, October 30, 2012:

Question: Saw recently the Angels trying to trade Haren and/or Santana ahead of option deadline day. Any chance the Cubs take a shot with either? Options not cheap but if bounce back could make qualifying offer after season and get pick at worst.

Bruce Levine: I know the Cubs have had conversations with the Angels, but not sure which players they talked about. The Angels have had interest in Carlos Marmol.

Question: Darwin Barney's trade value is at an all time high, possible Gold Glove, capable of playing short stop, and he's cost controlled. Any chance the Cubs deal him this winter for prospects?

Bruce Levine: I would not be shocked if that happened. I think Barney is the missing piece for a lot of contending teams like the Tigers. Personally, he has good leadership qualities. That's something that would make me hesitate before trading him. (During Talkin' Baseball (ESPN 1000) last Saturday, Levine discussed whether or not the Cubs would deal Barney to Detroit for a young pitcher like Drew Smyly.)

Question: The Phillies just declined Placido Polanco's option. Do you see the the Cubs trying to sign him to a one or two year deal? Sure he's injury prone and 37, but when he's healthy he's still a good contact hitter. He's also won numerous gold gloves and could help mentor Vitters and Valbuena.

Bruce Levine: As long as he has a movable contract, that type of professional player is one the Cubs would consider. He can have an impact early in the year for the team and still bring them back something for the future at the trade deadline. Those types of players will be considered by this management.

Question: If the Cubs are only 3 or 4 years away from something do you get in on Greinke or Hamilton? They are going to demand long term deals, and you might actually be ready at some point during the life of those deals.

Bruce Levine: You'd be wasting money on them over the next 2-3 years and projecting their production and their health would be difficult after that. Neither fit into what the Cubs have in mind.

Question: Where do you see the Cubs payroll at the beginning of the season?

Bruce Levine: Right now their obligation is around $60 million. My guess is they will go up to $90-$100 million. This is just to be competitive with short-term free agents.

Question: Looking into your crystal ball, do you think Dale Sveum will be managing the next playoff team on the North Side?

Bruce Levine: I believe Dale is an organization person. And I believe Epstein and Hoyer are trying to identify coaches and managers through all levels of the organization. As a comparison, look at Tom Kelly's record with the Twins when he managed there. He won World Series titles in '87 and '91, but also had 3 or 4 last-place finishes during that time. That would be the definition of an organization manager -- somebody who is a part of the fabric of the team.

vCash
    Epstein quotes and excerpts from an article by Patrick Mooney, "The endgame for the Cubs and Marmol."

When asked, Theo Epstein said he’s comfortable with [Carlos] Marmol as his 2013 Opening Day closer. But the team president’s answer to a hypothetical question – Philosophically, how would you go about finding a closer if your roster didn’t have one? – sounded more revealing.

“I would look at it as an opportunity to try to give someone an opportunity,” Epstein said recently. “Either internally – a pitcher that we believed in and liked and exposed them to that role (so he) could maybe develop into that type of asset.

“Or go outside the organization and try to buy low on a pitcher that we really liked and then build value by putting him in that role. (That’s) value for the Cubs, and then if our season doesn’t turn out the way we want it to – potential value in a trade.”
    “When there’s something extreme early in the season, it dictates the narrative for the whole season,” Epstein said. “I think it kind of went unnoticed nationally, just the extent to which this guy turned his year around and was really effective.”
    “Big punch-out rate, more strikes and then really significantly he did it in a completely different way,” Epstein said. “His fastball was really useable and really effective and that hasn’t been seen around here from him, maybe ever. That was a great sign, because I think it’s more likely to be repeated next year.

“He’s got two really viable pitches now. If he had just been a straight-out slider monster and happened to lock in his slider for a couple months and faced some aggressive hitters, I wouldn’t be as optimistic about him as I am now, because he’s got two weapons to go at hitters with again.”

vCash
    Cubs:

RF Joe Mather elected free agency.
    Blake Parker still has two or three more days to do the same.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-01-2012 at 12:21 AM.

vCash
    Eric Karros the favorite to take over for Bob?

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast