Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    It's badass that we now have 3 pretty dang reliable insiders on this board.
    Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobias View Post
    Tyler Colvin was not very good at baseball. The only reason why he was painfully average last season was because he was playing half of his games in Coors. The agony that some fans display and the criticism of the front office that they give over giving him up is unwarranted and very abject.
    I'm much less concerned with the fact that they let go of Tyler Colvin than the fact that they wanted Ian Stewart at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    lol at all of this

you realize that the advanced metrics actually love barney, right?

and what difference does work ethic make if it doesn't show itself in the results? if metrics say a player is not very good, trying hard doesn't make the player any less not good.
    It depends on what metric you're looking at, and how much it values defense. Regardless, people want to trade him for the best deal possible because they claim he can't/won't improve. A player with Barney's talent who has the drive and work ethic to improve very well can improve, and I really don't want the Cubs to just ship him off for the best deal that comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobias View Post
    Tyler Colvin was not very good at baseball. The only reason why he was painfully average last season was because he was playing half of his games in Coors. The agony that some fans display and the criticism of the front office that they give over giving him up is unwarranted and very abject.
    I'd say the Rockies got a lot more out of Colvin than we got out of that worthless piece of **** Ian Stewart.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Tangotiger:

​The Cubs are looking for a Director of Research & Development in their Baseball Operations. If you apply, make sure to say you “heard it from Tango”. Since we’re on the topic, I am now providing my consulting services exclusively to the Cubs.
    Good news.

vCash
    THE tangotiger working for the Cubs...Reminiscent of Epstein bringing in Bill James.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    Tangotiger:

Good news.
    That's just cool.

vCash
    I think that we'd be kidding ourselves to believe that the FO wouldn't trade any player if the perceived return exceed a player's value. There are no untouchables on a 101 loss team.
    All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

vCash
    The Cubs could use Olt at the hot corner..but trying to pry him away from Texas would be tough

vCash
    Bruce Levine:

Cub Vice president or Sales and Marketing Wally Hayward resigns to form new firm with the Ricketts family.
    "Cubs marketing VP Hayward resigns."

Chicago Cubs vice president of marketing and sales Wally Hayward told ESPNChicago.com he has resigned and will start a new venture with the Ricketts family, creating a marketing partnership called W Partners.

The firm's first client will be the Cubs.

"Our first job will be to work with the Cubs on the restoration of Wrigley Field, the boutique hotel partnership across the street with Starwood, and the plaza development and (new) spring training (facility)," Hayward said.

Hayward will work out of the team offices until the new company finds suitable office space. Two other Cubs employees will join Hayward in the new venture. Samantha Coghill, who was Hayward's top marketing associate, will join W Partners as vice president and Megan Cornish will become partnership liaison.

Hayward said that Colin Faulkner, who is the vice president of ticket sales, and senior marketing director Alison Miller will combine to assume his duties with the Cubs for now.

“We are excited to have the Cubs as our first client," Hayward said. "We will be a dedicated sales and marketing company working with our clients to help best represent their brand and future goals."

Hayward joined the Cubs in 2010 as vice president of sales and marketing. During his tenure the Cubs developed a stronger relationship with the fan base through the Wrigley Field fan ambassador program. The program incorporated 50 game-day representatives to help with fan needs and problem solving. The 45-year-old Northwestern graduate brought several events to Wrigley Field, including the Allstate Wrigleyville Classic football game featuring Illinois and Northwestern in 2010.

"I loved working here, and it has been a thrill to associate with the great fan base and fantastic co-workers during my three plus years here," Hayward said. “We definitely have the best owners in all of sports. They are committed to winning a World Series and committed to saving Wrigley Field for the next generations of fans. They are committed to being a great community partner. My people and I want to continue to be a part of it and that is why the Cubs are one of our first clients."

vCash
    Dontrelle Willis making a comeback!

vCash
    Phil Rogers has a bit more on Wally Hayward leaving the Cubs for a joint venture with Ricketts family:

The Chicago Cubs are reshaping their marketing staff, with Wally Hayward leaving his position as executive vice president and chief sales and marketing officer to form his own company, which will be a joint venture with the Ricketts family.

Hayward’s new company, W Partners, will have the Cubs as its first client.

“We are excited to begin this new venture with Wally, who has played a key role in developing great corporate sponsorships for the Cubs -- our largest revenue growth area over the last three years," Ricketts said in a statement. “We have big plans for Wrigley Field and in the neighborhood and that’s why we wanted to establish W Partners to allow Wally and Samantha (Coghill) to focus on growing and enhancing our relationships with corporate partners and to eventually do the same for other clients.”

Coghill and another Cubs’ marketing staffer, Megan Cornish, will join Hayward in the new venture. Hayward’s position will not be replaced, with the Cubs’ sponsorship sales group now reporting to Colin Faulkner, the Cubs’ vice president for ticket sales and service.

W Partners will represent teams, leagues and athletes in procuring sponsorships. Their work for the Cubs will include help on the renovation of Wrigley Field, the spring training complex slated to open in 2014 and a proposed boutique hotel across from Wrigley.

vCash
    Gordon Wittenmyer is dishing the dirt:

Cubs noodle king Wally Hayward out as Cubs marketing director. Move was weeks in the making, after falling out with biz prez Crane Kenney.
    Hayward's claim to fame with Cubs -- the giant noodle at Wrigley that became widespread punchline -- worth all of $100k to Cubs.
    Source: Ricketts not fully on board with Hayward ouster. One reason behind backing Hayward's new company as a client.
    Cubs feared Hayward move would go public during Cubs Conv. and detract from big Wrigley-plan unveiling. Hayward kept big role at CC.
    Multiple sources: Kenney touted personally hand-picked Hayward as "rock star" when hired 3 years ago. So much for that.
    Bruce Miles, in response to the above:

Heard it then and had it denied to me.
    Don Muret, writer for the Sports Business Journal:

Wally Hayward's new job / W Partners includes selling naming rights for #Cubs new spring training park. @CubsInMesa #cactusleague
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 01-31-2013 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    Oh look, a media guy throwing Crane Kenney under the bus. Shocking.

vCash
    Matt Garza:

Just finished my first bullpen of spring! Glad to be back on the bump! #gottawalktorun#gameready

vCash
    Paul Sullivan:

Javier Baez gets spring training invite. Good chance to see the future in Mesa.
    Bruce Miles:

Javier Baez, Michael Brenly, Casey Coleman, Barret Loux, Rafael Lopez and Nick Struck complete #Cubs nonroster invitees
    Partial NRI list came earlier and includes Bogusevic, Lillibridge, Jaye Chapman and Darnell McDonald, among others. #Cubs
    Harry Pavlidis:

The Cubs are priming Javy for the show. Won't be rushed, but they don't want him to be too uncomfortable when he bashes his way up in July.
    Jesse Rogers:

The Chicago Cubs invited 22 non-roster players to major league spring training, including top prospect Javier Baez, the team announced on Friday.

Eleven pitchers have been invited to camp: right-handers Drew Carpenter, Jaye Chapman, Casey Coleman, Dayan Diaz, Jensen Lewis, Barret Loux, Blake Parker, Zach Putnam, Nick Struck and Cory Wade, as well as left-handed pitcher Hisanori Takahashi.

Catchers J.C. Boscan, Michael Brenly and Rafael Lopez were invited along with infielders Baez, Alberto Gonzalez, former White Sox utilityman Brent Lillibridge, Edwin Maysonet and Brad Nelson and outfielders Brian Bogusevic, Johermyn Chavez and Darnell McDonald.

Baez, who was the Cubs' top draft pick in 2011, is the organization's top prospect, according to Baseball America.

Pitchers and catchers report to Mesa, Ariz., next weekend and full squad participation begins on Feb. 17.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 02-01-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast