Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Jackson looks sharp in Cubs pinstripes.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash

vCash
    Question: Why have you played for so many teams?

Edwin Jackson: I think everyone likes me.

vCash
    "Everyone has to be a 'number one' on the day you go pitch."

vCash
    That's a good answer.

*Two good answers.

vCash
    ****. talking about injuries...he's going to blow out his elbow in spring training now

vCash
    Theo has that "Yeah, I'm cool" look on his face

vCash

Great chances of making the playoffs!! by yolo 3:19 PM

vCash
    Cubs:

Chicago Cubs signed free agent RHP Jaye Chapman.
    Baseball America:

Signed: RHP Zach Putnam (non-tendered and re-signed)

vCash
    Cubs related Q&A from today's chat with Bruce Levine:

Question: What's your over/under for how many of the four signed years Edwin Jackson is with the Cubs, and why?

Bruce Levine: This is getting the chat room off to the right start. Because whether he has a limited no-trade or not, Jackson is good for the Cubs now and a movable commodity for the future. Right now he is their only proven, legitimate 200-innings pitcher. And that is the reason he might be around for a couple years.

Question: Any news on a Soriano trade with the Phillies?

Bruce Levine: That is a tremendously old rumor. They had conversations about Soriano six weeks ago and nothing came of it.

Question: Is Navarro going to be the everyday catcher or a platoon job between the winner of Clevenger and Cassitllo ?

Bruce Levine: From all that I can gather, Castillo and Navarro will be the catching tandem. At age 28, Navarro has a chance to catch as many or more games than Castillo.

Question: Do you expect to see any more notable transactions before the season for either team?

Bruce Levine: If the Cubs can find viable suitors for Marmol and Soriano, those moves will be made.

Question: When do you think the list of Cubs Convention attendees will be announced? Thanks in advance and thanks for all your great work year-round!

Bruce Levine: First of all, thank you for the recognition. I'll check and try to get a list of attendees after the chat session on my Twitter account: @ESPNBruceLevine

Question: Are you going to be at the Cubs Convention?

Bruce Levine: Absolutely. I think I've missed one since 1985. I'll be there with bells on.

Question: Would you say Samardzija has a chance for 200 k's, 15 wins, and sub 3.20 era this year? He made good strides last season and could be a sleeper in fantasy this year.

Bruce Levine: Put it this way: a couple of scouts that I'm very friendly with told me Samardzija was the most improved pitcher from April to September that they saw in 2012. As usual, Jeff has been in Arizona since November, preparing for the 2013 season. I don't see any reason why he can't take the next step up and approach those numbers.

Question: Is there any possibility of a trade for Porcello? Perhaps a package of Marmol and some prospects? I think this would be a great fit and am surprised it hasn't been discussed more.

Bruce Levine: I think both names make sense. The Tigers are going to use an unproven young pitcher to close. Marmol would be a strong safety gap for the Tigers, even at $10 million per year. The Cubs need as many young pitchers that can average at least six innings per start that they can get their hands on.

Question: Hi Bruce, I'm a little surprised at how much information is leaking out from the Cubs camp (free agent signings, etc) before anything happens. Do you know if they are concerned about this and if so are they trying to do anything about it? The Sox do a much better job of flying under the radar at this point.

Bruce Levine: I don't think they let out any information they don't want out. Both Epstein and Hoyer are accessible and some information that gets out comes from the agents rather than the Cubs. That's particularly true when it comes to free agent signings. The White Sox have always been a little bit closer to the vest when it comes to information getting out.

Question: I love all this talk of trading Castro and top guys like Baez for up and down stars like Upton. What is the point of trading our super star and/or our top prospect for an inconsistent guy like Upton, when we already get more value out Castro then we would Upton? Aren't we trying to rebuild with prospects around young guys like Castro and Rizzo? Seems to me it's one step forward, two steps back.

Bruce Levine: Trading for Upton is just a rumor at this point. As you say, the Cubs don't have the inventory to trade for another young, would-be superstar. Trading Baez or Castro would set back the Cubs plans for competing in 2014 & 2015.

Question: Do you think that the Cubs will explore a deal for Giancarlo Stanton and if so do you think they have the pieces to make it happen

Bruce Levine: Yes and no. The Cubs front office will be proactive in trying to procure all young talent, but what exactly would the Cubs have to give up to get Stanton. It's the same conversation we had about Upton. How many young players would you have to give up in order to get one superstar player back? The Cubs are not in a position to acquire Stanton without backing up their plan for competing.

Question: Is there a offer on the table for Bourn? Cubs just waiting him out?

Bruce Levine: I wrote about six weeks ago that Bourn's agent Scott Boras and the Cubs had conversations about him. If a long-term deal is not presented to Bourn by other teams, then it's possible he could sign a one-year deal with just about anybody, including the Cubs and White Sox. The White Sox would have to go way over budget to sign Bourn, even if just for the one year. The Cubs have plenty of flexibility in their payroll structure.

Question: Better chance of happening before Opening day: Soriano traded or Garza to Texas for Olt and add ons?

Bruce Levine: The Cubs are open to any deal that makes them better. If they can add a guy like Olt and a young pitcher or two, they certainly would consider a trade to the Rangers. The Rangers have been one of the more proactive teams in trying to trade for Garza over the last few seasons. After missing out on Greinke, they need to make a statement at some point with their rotation. Cubs have been trying to move Soriano since December, 2011. Remember, Soriano has complete 10 & 5 rights, so he can veto a trade to the west coast, where he does not want to play. All that said, Soriano turned down a chance to get a championship ring by saying no to a deal with the Giants. So my guess is that Garza -- if healthy -- will be the first to go.

Question: Hi Bruce, with the plethora of starters the cubs now have, I'm assuming Matt Garza will be shopped most likely during spring training. If the cubs do move garza though will they look to get players for the big league roster or stick with just prospects?

Bruce Levine: I think they would like to be able to combine those. If they can get pitching or center field help, or a third baseman for the future, they would take on any young player that they consider close. That would not deter them from taking a player that already has major league experience.

Question: I love that Edwin Jackson does not have a no-trade clause. Will Theo & Co. do that with higher priced free agents in the future? Will that stop anyone from signing here?

Bruce Levine: That's pretty much been Epstein's modus operandi during his career as a front office executive. The Red Sox have that to thank for the ability to trade Crawford, Gonzalez and Beckett last summer. That type of flexibility is a key component to a team being able to change their philosophies from year to year. As to losing certain players, I think that's also a realsitic chance.

Question: Any word on the stand-still in negotiations with the City of Chicago for renovating Wrigley? Will Rahm warm back up to the Ricketts now that his guy won the election?

Bruce Levine: That's a good question. You would hope that time heals all wounds. Eventually Emanuel will want more revenue for the city of Chicago. And if he envisions giving the Cubs some tax breaks as a way to make millions for the city, he will eventually get around to it. There is still no love lost between Emanuel and Joe Ricketts, patriarch of the Ricketts family.

Question: Which of the Cubs prospects is the closest to joining the team at some point this season?

Bruce Levine: I'd still have to say Brett Jackson. If his new swing is successful the first few months at AAA, I believe the Cubs will call him up and put him in either right or center field. Right now the Cubs' outfield is very much a stopgap situation.

Question: Do you see the Cubs signing a RF? If so, what are the odds they sign a proven guy?

Bruce Levine: They need a right-handed bat at this point for the outfield. With Schierholz and DeJesus they are a bit left-handed heavy. I like Scott Hairston for them. But that's just me talking, no information to that effect.

Question: Earlier on MLB network they discussed a possible trade to boston involving soriano brett jackson for jacoby ellsbury...do you think a deal like that would ever happen?

Bruce Levine: Have not heard anything to that effect.

Question: Your opinion. If any...who should be moved to an outfield position . Vitters, Lake, Castro, Baez?

Bruce Levine: Too early to move Baez. Should be the right time to consider Lake and Vitters. I'm told that Baez will play shortstop everyday this summer, wherever he plays. Vitters seems too hard to figure out as to where he should play. For now he'll start at third in AAA.

Question: Is it realistic to believe that Ian Stewart will have a breakout year coming off his wrist injury? I have a hunch that a fully healed Stewart will be the surprise of 2013 for the Cubbies.

Bruce Levine: That would be a nice thing to have happen. He's coming off two injury plagued seasons, and he spent most of 2011 rehabbing injuries and in the minors. He certainly has big time power potential, having hit 25 home runs four years ago.

Question: Is it reasonable to think the Cubs could package Soriano in a deal with Garza if Garza is traded? Do you find it very likely?

Bruce Levine: I don't see both where both fit together in particular. The Rangers can use more offense, but picking up Soriano's contract might be more than they want to do.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 01-04-2013 at 03:01 PM.

vCash
    Excerpts from Q&A with Carrie Muskat:

Question: Are the Cubs looking to sign another free-agent right fielder or trade for one, or will Nate Schierholtz take that position?

Carrie Muskat: Apparently, it's Schierholtz's job. GM Jed Hoyer said the outfielder will get the majority of playing time in right.

Don't look for the Cubs to fill a spot with free-agent outfielder Michael Bourn. He received a qualifying offer from the Braves, and if signed, would require the Cubs to give up their second-round Draft pick (the Cubs' first-round pick is protected). Plus, Bourn, 30, was reportedly looking for a $100 million deal.

Question: I haven't heard much about Jorge Soler this offseason. Is he playing winter ball? And is there a chance we'll see him in the bigs this coming season?

Carrie Muskat: Soler, who turns 21 on Feb. 25, did not play winter ball. He only played in 34 games in 2012, including 20 with Class A Peoria. Expect to see him a lot this spring, but he's projected for 2014 in the bigs.

Question: When will the list of former and current Cubs players attending the Cubs Convention be released?

Carrie Muskat: As soon as the Cubs' marketing folks release the list, it will be posted on Cubs.com. So far, players expected to attend include Darwin Barney, David DeJesus, Anthony Rizzo, Jeff Samardzija, Matt Garza, Starlin Castro and Alfonso Soriano. The 28th Cubs Convention will be held Jan. 18-20 at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers, 301 E. North Water Street, Chicago.

Question: It seems the Cubs have gone from not enough starters to having too many. Who do you project as the starting five, and what will happen to the rest? I know some have relieved in the past, but my guess is they signed with the Cubs with the understanding they would start.

Carrie Muskat: I can give you three: Samardzija, Edwin Jackson and Scott Feldman. Because Scott Baker is coming back from Tommy John surgery and Matt Garza is returning from an elbow injury, both could be given extra time. Lefty Travis Wood also is in the mix. They hope it's enough. Last year, the Cubs used a franchise-record 30 pitchers.

Question: Do you think that eventually the Cubs will just mold Javier Baez or Junior Lake to play third or second? If the Cubs plan on keeping Starlin Castro at shortstop, I feel they should stick with molding that duo into different positions.

Carrie Muskat: The emphasis now is on development at the plate and in the field, not "molding." Because Baez and Lake are both very athletic, they could move to another position if necessary. Lake played left field, third base and shortstop in the Dominican Republic this winter, and Baez did get some time at third in the Arizona Fall League.

Question: Why isn't Alfonso Soriano being considered as a potential third-base option?

Carrie Muskat: The Cubs are not considering this... It's not going to happen.

vCash
    Question: Why isn't Alfonso Soriano being considered as a potential third-base option?

vCash
    Goodness. Why even print that?

vCash
    It's getting to the point where I don't even read Levine any more. He's been wrong on basically everything the Cubs have tried to do this offseason. I'm really beginning to question his ability as a beat reporter because he never seems to know what is going on.

vCash
    Soriano at 3rd base...

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast