Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    Carrie Muskat has a bit more on Rosario. He's worn a few different hats already this off-season.

The Cubs added another arm to the bullpen mix when they claimed right-handed pitcher Sandy Rosario off waivers from the Red Sox. Rosario, 27, has been active on the transaction wire. The Red Sox acquired him off waivers from the Marlins on Oct. 17, and he was designated for assignment on Nov. 20. Eight days later, he was dealt to the Athletics for right-hander Graham Godfrey. The Athletics then designated Rosario for assignment two days later. On Dec. 10, the Red Sox claimed him again off waivers.

Last season, he combined for 17 saves and a 1.99 ERA in 31 Minor League games between the Marlins’ Triple-A, Double-A and Class A teams. Rosario missed nearly two months on the disabled list because of a strained right quad. He’s had limited appearances over the last three seasons with the Marlins, totaling 7 2/3 innings, and made four appearances in June with the big league team. At Triple-A New Orleans, Rosario posted a 1.04 ERA with 16 saves in 25 games, striking out 24 over 26 innings. This winter, he’s been pitching for Gigantes del Cibao in the Dominican, appearing in 12 games through Dec. 8. He has 13 strikeouts and issued five walks over 11 1/3 innings.

Cubs manager Dale Sveum may remember Rosario. Sveum was with Milwaukee when the pitcher made his Major League debut on Sept. 23, 2010, for the Marlins, and the Brewers’ Rickie Weeks and Prince Fielder hit his first and third pitches for home runs.

Rosario is the third new arm added to the Cubs’ bullpen, joining Japanese pitcher Kyuji Fujikawa, who signed a two-year deal last Friday, and Hector Rondon, who was selected in the Rule 5 Draft. With the addition of Rosario, the Cubs’ 40-man roster is now at 40.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Why would the A's trade for him, then DFA him two days later?
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    I missed this, but according to the Cubs, they agreed to terms with OF Roberto Caro on a minor league contract back on December 2.

vCash
    AZ Phil on waivers:

The Cubs are 2nd in waiver priority behind only the Astros until the 31st day of the 2013 MLB regular season.
    Question: $20,000 per claim, right Phil?

AZ Phil: For players claimed off any of the three assignmernt-type waivers (Outright, Optional, or Trade), $20,000 is the waiver price for most players (like Sandy Rosario), but it's $25,000 for Rule 5 and Draft-Excluded players.

BTW, the waiver price for players claimed off Outright Release Waivers is only $1, but the claiming club assumes 100% of the player's contract (so it's better just to wait until waivers are secured and then sign the player for the pro-rated MLB minimum salary, sticking the player's former tream with the balance), plus the player has the right to reject the waiver claim and elect free-agency (with the player's former team still on the hook for 100% of his contract, minus the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary should the player subsequently sign with another club).
    AZ Phil on the 40-man:

The Cubs 40-man roster is full, and the Cubs will eventually have to make two roster moves when the Nate Schierholtz and Ian Stewart contracts are officially filed with the MLB office.

Any player selected in the Major League Phase of the Rule 5 Draft, any player claimed off waivers, and any player on an MLB 40-man roster who is acquired in a trade must be added to the club's 40-man roster immediately (which is why Hectior Rondon and Sandy Rosario are on the 40-man roster), but when an MLB club signs a player as a free-agent, the club has 20 days or until the player is added to the 25-man roster (whichever comes first) to file the contract with the MLB office.

The player does not have to be added to the club's 40-man roster until the contract is filed, which is why the Cubs are able to wait a while before adding Schierholtz and Stewart to the 40-man roster. (They probably wouldn't do this during the season, because they would almost certainly want to add the players to the 25-man roster ASAP).

In the meantime, the Cubs might make a trade or two that could open up a couple of slots on the 40, thereby negating the need to outright a player (where the player could be claimed off waivers before Outright Assignment Waivers can be secured).

Clubs sometimes probably wish they could keep injured players or place injured players on the 60-day DL during the off-season (players on the 60-day DL don't count against a club's 40-man roster limit), but players on the 60-day DL must be reinstated no later than 5 PM on the 5th day following the conclusion of the World Series, and a player cannot be added to the 60-day DL any earlier than 45 days prior to MLB Opening Day (which effectively means any player who is placed on the 60-day DL during Spring Training must spend at least the first 15 days of the MLB regular season on the 60-day DL), and a player cannot be placed on the 60-day DL unless his club's 40-man roster is full..

Note that although a club can place a player on the 60-day DL as early as 45 days prior to MLB Opening Day, a club cannot place a player on the 15-day DL any earlier than nine days prior to Opening Day, and a 15-day or 60-day DL assignment cannot be backdated any further back than nine days prior to Opening Day (and that's only if the player did not appear in an MLB Cactus League or Grapefruit League Spring Training game during the backdated period).

vCash
    AZ Phil on the Venezuelan Summer League:

The Cubs will be fielding a team in the Venezuelan Summer League (VSL) in 2013. the first time they have sent players to the VSL since 2007 when they shared a VSL "co-op" team with the Minnesota Twins. (The Cubs established a second DSL team in 2008, replacing the VSL co-op team).

Over the past few years the VSL has seen its membership dwindle to just four teams, so the Cubs are bucking the trend by establishing an affiliate in Venezuela.

The VSL is designed for rookie-level players from South America, Central America, Mexico, and Caribbean islands other than Hispanola (the home of the Dominican Republic)

Like the Dominican Summer League, each team in the VSL is permitted to place up to 35 players on its reserve list, with 30 players "active:" for each game (of which ten must be pitchers);.

One of the reasons there are so few teams in the VSL is that most MLB clubs don't have enough players from South and Central America and Mexico in their farm systems to field a team in the VSL, but the Cubs had 22 Venezuelan players active in the DSL in 2012 (not counting OF Jeffry Baez and C Wilfredo Petit, who were promoted to the AZL Cubs the last week of the season), plus one player from Mexico, and one from Curacao, so the Cubs have the quantity of players necessary to operate an affiliate in Venezuela.

Unless they are moved up to Fitch Park, several of the Cubs better Latin teenaged prospects, including 3B Mark Malave, LF Ricardo Marcano, LHP Carlos Rodriguez, RHP Greyfer Eregua, and LHP Angel Mejias will be playing for the VSL Cubs in 2013.

Placing a a team in the VSL might be an indication that the Cubs are planning to scout more heavily in places like Brazil (which qualified for the WBC this fall), Nicaragua, Panama, Curacao, and Mexico than they have previously.

With the new Cubs Dominican Academy going on line, all Latin players can be sent to the Academy for "basic training" and advanced instruction, before getting assigned to a DSL or VSL affiliate during the summer.

vCash
    According to the Cubs' website, Jeff Beliveau has been designated for assignment.

vCash
    I am hoping they can bring him back, though I'm thinking they are going after JP Howell.

vCash
    Ran out of characters so I shifted things around:

First post contains the off-season calendar and transactions.

Second post
    contains recent, relevant rumors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    According to the Cubs' website, Jeff Beliveau has been designated for assignment.
    with all the trash on the 40 man, thats a bit surprising.

vCash
    Forum could use a bit of good news. Carrie Muskat:

Just watched #Cubs Kerry Wood & wife deliver coats/gloves/Xmas gifts to 400 kids on west side of Chicago. That should happen more at schools.
    Kudos to #Cubs 1B Anthony Rizzo, who raised more than $80,000 in his 1st "Walk Off for Cancer" 5K walk on 12/9 in Parkland, FL
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 12-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    with all the trash on the 40 man, thats a bit surprising.
    It is, I liked Jeff. Thought he could be a pretty decent bullpen arm.

Take me back to the Forest

vCash
    Jim Bowden:

Dodgers Stan Kasten told us that they have completely revamped the Dodgers Clubhouse..doubling size..adding batting cages...spa #impressive
    Some day I'll wish upon a star...

vCash
    Boy are those Dodgers doing it The Wrong Way or what...

I can not wait until the Cubs get some of that TV money stuff. I'm already bored out of my mind with the small market tactics without big market tactics.

vCash
    they just need some of that internet money, guy.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast