Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Ian Stewart has been retweeting just about anybody who advocates his return to the Cubs.

On a related note, depending on what the carousel at the back of the bullpen looks like, I count at least ten spaces on the roster that aren't set in stone. That's without including players like Valbuena and/or Stewart who are subject to today's deadline to tender contracts to players who are arbitration eligible.

The below also doesn't account for possible departures of Barney, Garza, Marmol and/or Soriano via trade. There's still a lot of work to be done this off-season. We've got every reason to expect a busy Winter Meetings.

Code:
    C	Castillo
    1B	Rizzo
    2B	Barney (Possibly Traded)
    SS	Castro
    3B	1.
    LF	Soriano (Possibly Traded)
    CF	2.
    RF	DeJesus

S1	Garza (Possibly Traded)
    S2	Samardzija
    S3	Feldman
    S4	Baker
    S5	Wood

IF	3.
    IF	4.
    OF	5.
    OF	6.
    C	Navarro

R1	Marmol (Possibly Traded)
    R2	7. Fujikawa/Rodriguez/Adams (Recently Mentioned)
    R3	Camp
    R4	Russell
    R5	8.
    R6	9.
    R7	10.
    Paul Sullivan:

Hoyer said still having conversations, "very likely to have couple of non-tenders."
    Bruce Miles:

#Cubs likely to have a couple of players non-tendered, GM Hoyer says

#Cubs roster figures to be below 40 at end of Friday, Hoyer says

#Cubs Hoyer said org had "about 10 different long meetings" about whom to protect in Rule 5 draft.

#Cubs Hoyer says he hopes they can work out possible free-agent deals with any player they non-tender
    Carrie Muskat:

#Cubs GM Hoyer says still having conversations with players, and may have a couple non-tendered
    Meghan Montemurro:

Hoyer says it is very likely Cubs will have a few non-tenders & will be below 40 for roster. Added it could change before 11 p.m. deadline.

Hoyer says Cubs are still going to look at pitching as a need especially organizationally. Bullpen depth is also area they plan to address.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-30-2012 at 03:27 PM.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Paul Sullivan with an update, including a few Jed Hoyer quotes:

Chicago Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said the team will likely non-tender a couple players by tonight's 11 p.m. (CST) deadline.

"We'll certainly have a couple of non-tenders, but I can't tell you exactly who those guys might be yet," Hoyer said.

That suggests third basemen Ian Stewart and Luis Valbuena are on the list, since Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija and James Russell are certain to be tendered.

The Cubs could non-tender them and re-sign them to minor league deals, leaving them off the 40-man roster.

Hoyer also said they would continue to look for starting pitching, despite signing two starters in Scott Baker and Scott Feldman. Hoyer said the team needs pitching depth with starters Garza and Baker coming off elbow injuries. He expects Baker to be "if not ready, then very close to ready" to start the season.

"We don't want to put ourselves in a position that if he does get slowed down at some point (in his rehab from Tommy John surgery) or we feel it will be a little into the season for him, we don't want to put ourselves in a situation where we're struggling early in the season," he said. "We felt very good about his physical and feel very good about where he is in his rehab, but we have to keep an eye on that."

Hoyer said they'll also look for bullpen help and another outfielder. Hoyer said they have spoken to Japanese closer Kyuji Fujikawa "and came away very impressed." He declined to elaborate on talks.
    Carrie Muskat has a post as well, but this is the only non-redundant quote:

“I think it’s fair to say whenever the list comes out of the guys we do non-tender, that all of the guys we’ll end up non-tendering are guys we hope to get back,” Hoyer said. “We do have some hard decisions to make but we don’t want to lose any of the guys we may cut loose. If we do have to take them off the roster, I hope we can work out deals to keep them.”
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    Paul Sullivan with an update, including a few Jed Hoyer quotes:
    Good stuff there.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Gordon Wittenmyer:

Hoyer says Cubs expect to non-tender two arb guys by tonight's deadline with hope of retaining them. Stewart and ...

vCash
    Gordon Wittenmyer:
    Russell!
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Carrie Muskat has written a brief preview of the Winter Meetings, including some Jed Hoyer quotes:

The Winter Meetings will be next week in Nashville, and the Cubs still have some holes to fill. Whether they sign free agents or acquire talent via trade, one thing is certain. No one is untouchable.

“We lost 101 games last year,” GM Jed Hoyer said. “I don’t think we’re in position to say we have enough talent, or to say to any one player on the roster he’s untouchable. We certainly have several players who we would have a hard time parting with and it would take a heck of a package to make it happen.

“In general, there shouldn’t be many untouchables in the game and there usually aren’t and I think they certainly shouldn’t be on teams looking to acquire a lot of talent,” he said. “I think the answer is no, but that’s no disrespect to the players we have. We just need to acquire a lot of talent.”

It could be a busy week. The Cubs do want to add more pitching.

“We still look at it as an area of need,” Hoyer said. “We’re actively looking to improve our bullpen and we haven’t been able to address that yet this winter with the exception of bringing back Shawn Camp.”

Plus, because Scott Baker and Arodys Vizcaino, acquired from the Braves, are both coming off Tommy John surgery, and Matt Garza had his season shortened by an elbow injury, the Cubs need depth. They also want to add an outfielder who can play center or right, and need help for the bench.

Hoyer did confirm that Japanese pitcher Kyuji Fujikawa was considering the Cubs and did tour Wrigley Field. However, Hoyer would not comment on the negotiations or provide a timetable. He did say they were impressed by the right-hander.

“If we bring in someone who has closing experience, or a number of guys who have closing experience, that’s no knock on Carlos,” Hoyer said. “I think every team in baseball wants to have an assortment of guys back there who if the need arises can pitch in the ninth inning. Hopefully we can do that.”

vCash
    Careful, Jed. Improve the bullpen, acknowledge that the prospects worth caring about are too far away to be blocked by FA OFers?

You are dangerously close to writing a check of competence that your actions may not back up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Careful, Jed. Improve the bullpen, acknowledge that the prospects worth caring about are too far away to be blocked by FA OFers?

You are dangerously close to writing a check of competence that your actions may not back up.
    Patrick Mooney has a longer piece with some more Hoyer quotes on the bullpen:

“Whenever you build a bullpen, you want as many guys that have a chance to pitch late in the game as possible,” Hoyer said. “Carlos had a great second half (1.52 ERA). He struggled in April. He lost the job and to his credit he worked really hard to get it back and pitched really well. If we bring in someone that has closing experience – or a number of guys that have that kind of experience – that’s no knock on Carlos.

“Every team in baseball wants to have an assortment of guys back there that – if the need arises – can pitch in the ninth inning. Hopefully, we can do that. Our bullpen put too much pressure last year on (Shawn) Camp and (James) Russell and Marmol and we have to avoid that. We need to bring in a really good number of arms to make that goal a reality.”

vCash
    #Cubs tender Garza, Samardzija, Russell, Valbuena. Non-tender list includes Stewart, Putnam & Chapman. Roster now at 37
    -Muskat

Chapman kind of surprises me, I hope they bring him back.

vCash
    I missed the first 30 minutes, but I'll post what notes I can from Talkin' Baseball as the show progresses. If I miss anything, CCO usually has a summary posted Sunday/Monday.

When I first tuned in, Levine was speaking with Jesse Rogers, the beat reporter newly assigned to covering the Cubs.

• Rogers said the Cubs want to "keep their flexibility open" this off-season.
    • Rogers said if a player makes any "ridiculous demands," then expect the Cubs to move on to the next priority.
    • Rogers admitted to having a negative preconceived notion of Alfonso Soriano. He said he didn't/doesn't like him and never "bought into who he is."
    • Apparently the hotel/resort hosting the Winter Meetings is massive. Some media and baseball personnel are already arriving in Nashville.

Commercial break.

• I thought the Winter Meetings didn't start until Monday, December 3, but there have been a few mentions in the show referencing some activities starting tomorrow night.
    • Dan Jennings, Vice President, Player Personnel & Assistant General Manager of the Florida Marlins, was on the show. Jennings submitted a plea of sorts to fans not to be furious and to still support the team. He said a lot of nothing, too. "We never gelled as a club, so we decided to turn the page and look at the big picture... The Marlins way is... not being afraid to take a shot on some of these blue collar players... we felt we needed to bring that back a bit."

Commercial break.

Some Q&A:

• Levine said, "The time to get good is always right now." He reiterated that the Cubs are interested in signing Michael Bourn.
    • Levine doesn't believe the Arizona Diamondbacks move Justin Upton this off-season.
    • Levine said the Cubs like Louis Valbuena. Levine believes the Cubs will make an attempt to sign Ian Stewart to a favorable deal.
    • Levine believes Eric Karros and Mark DeRosa are the leading candidates to replace Bob Brenly.

Commercial break.

• Doug Padilla, now assigned to the White Sox beat, speculated there is possible interest in Ian Stewart on behalf of the White Sox.
    • Cubs Assistant General Manager Shiraz Rehman will be on the show later to discuss the hiring of Scott Harris, who will report directly to him.

Commercial break.

• Rehman on player evaluation: "...levels of granularity... pitch f/x, hit f/x...robust...thorough...analysis...good decisions.
    • Rehman on free agency: "...risk...positioned well...chance to compete...finishing pieces...run at multiple championships...easier to make those moves...realistic...The market tells us all...upside with less guaranteed money...trying to make smart decisions..."
    • Rehman on how long it takes a front office to "mesh together...function on all cylinders": "I don't have a great answer for you."

#
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 12-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.

vCash
    Ya, the hotel/convention center has 10 restaurants in it. I'm gonna get lost .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Ya, the hotel/convention center has 10 restaurants in it. I'm gonna get lost .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOkC...ture=endscreen

1934 • 1938 • 1961 • 2010 • 2013

vCash
    Peter Gammons is already at the Winter Meetings:

It is easier to ride a tricyle through Bejing at rush hour than get anywhere in the Opryland Hotel. Thanks, minors, who dictate location

vCash
    Jim Bowden is at the Winter Meetings. He tweeted the welcome sign.

vCash
    Peter Gammons is already at the Winter Meetings:
    I feel like he meant to say unicycle. Riding a tricycle is easy.

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast