Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    NBC Chicago:

Two wild coyotes were spotted hanging around Wrigley Field late Saturday night.
    A recent Ohio State University study estimated that there may be somewhere between several hundred and a couple thousand coyotes living in Chicago, with some of the animals living in city parks and others among apartment and commercial buildings and in industrial parks.
    Photo credit to Will Byington.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Rally coyotes!! I like it!

1934 • 1938 • 1961 • 2010 • 2013

vCash
    Gotta check out all the FA options.

vCash
    They came to eat the goat
    #Turtlepower

Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Considering how down with the rebuild this forum is you would think this would get something (possibly I missed it):

#Cubs hire Rob Deer as assistant hitting coach: http://cmcst.sn/aabpdf #CubsTalk (@CSNMooney)

One of the biggest ISO hitters everz.

Deer will work closely with hitting coach James Rowson - who replaced Rudy Jaramillo in the middle of last season and earned the job full-time - as well as manager Dale Sveum.

Sveum, a former hitting coach and Deer's teammate with the Milwaukee Brewers in the 1980s, has strong opinions about what the Cubs should be doing at the plate.

Deer hit .220 with 230 home runs and 1,409 strikeouts during his 11-year major-league career. Deer has worked as a hitting coordinator for the San Diego Padres organization.
    One thing they do has is at the ML level is coaching...and a SS, but both will go underappreciated until its time to win.

vCash
    Lol late. Strange how Kyle, the enemy of development and The Future, is the only one who gave it the time of day after Yags.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Lol late. Strange how Kyle, the enemy of development and The Future, is the only one who gave it the time of day after Yags.
    Carrie Muskat has some quotes from Jed Hoyer on the hiring of Rob Deer:

Hoyer was asked about hiring Rob Deer as an assistant hitting coach.

“That’s a position a lot of teams are adding,” Hoyer said. “I think baseball teams in general are starting to realize the pitching coach has 12 guys and he has help from the bullpen coach, and the hitting coach has 13 guys and no help at all. Teams are starting to add a second hitting coach. Candidly, I’m sort of upset, looking back on the years in Boston and San Diego, I feel it’s a position we should’ve added long ago. Dale [Sveum] has a long relationship with Rob, and speaks incredibly highly of him. Our interactions with him are real positive. We’re excited to add him. He can really assist James [Rowson, hitting coach] well and add a nice element to our clubhouse.”

Some have pointed to Deer’s career .220 batting average and 1,409 career strikeouts as not seeming to be conducive to someone to listen to.

“On that note, I think mentioning a coach’s stats as a player is one of the least useful things you can imagine,” Hoyer said. “No one ever mentions Jim Leyland’s numbers or Tony La Russa’s numbers. I think coaching and playing are two very separate things. Just because a guy happened to strike out a lot or didn’t have a high batting average doesn’t affect how well he teaches at all. I also would note [Deer] was a guy who did get on base and had a lot of power. I don’t think a coach’s playing background says how he coaches and how he teaches.”

vCash
    Major League Baseball:

BREAKING: @Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz suspended 25 games without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine.
    Ken Rosenthal:

Ruiz suspended 25 games instead of 50 because discipline is not same for stimulants as it is for steroids. This was his second positive test.
    Adderall.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-27-2012 at 06:03 PM.

vCash
    must have wanted to improve his hand/eye coordination...... see kyle for factual evidence... just let me go post in another forum real quick.

vCash
    I think we are going to continue to see waves of people caught cheating.... I wouldn't be surprised if a big group of guys were taking something now that isn't caught by the tests. Its in sports these days we might as well just deal with it.

vCash
    Do you wanna know how to stop cheating?I,d start deducting thier pay. Lets say a guy gets caught. He gets 1 million, if he gets caught, I would take 1 million from him and send him to rehab and when he comes back he can earn that money back when hes starts to produce on the field

vCash
    I think they should pay every player based on thier performances.

vCash
    Make a hard list of supplements that are permissible. Suspend and ban those who take anything not on the list. Caught once you're suspended for a full calendar year. Caught twice you're suspended for life. Problem solved.

1934 • 1938 • 1961 • 2010 • 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Make a hard list of supplements that are permissible. Suspend and ban those who take anything not on the list. Caught once you're suspended for a full calendar year. Caught twice you're suspended for life. Problem solved.
    And entirely new, talent and product related problem ensues. I think baseball, and all sports really, is fine with people getting on a moral soapbox over steroids.

People would have to stop going to games until the game is completely PED free for something as idealistic as this to actually happen.

Personally, eat up players - entertain me.

vCash
    By David Kaplan, "Cubs completely redo Wrigley playing surface."

During the 2012 season several Cubs players voiced their complaints about the Wrigley Field playing surface, with one player calling it “by far the worst in the major leagues."

That led to Cubs management doing an extensive study on every field in baseball and the amount of time that each field is used for “non-baseball activities,” which can cause considerable wear and tear on the playing surface.

At the conclusion of the 2012 season the decision was made to completely remove the current field and replace it with all new sod and dirt to bring the field up to a more acceptable level for the players.

In addition, the Cubs are expected to curtail the number of activities that are held at Wrigley starting with the 2013 season. From concerts to soccer games to corporate events, the field has gotten more play and more use than any other baseball only stadium in the sport.

When Cubs second baseman Darwin Barney was informed on Tuesday that the Cubs had decided to completely replace the playing field at Wrigley Field, he was quick to praise the team's ground crew who labored day and night to make the old surface playable.

"Our grounds crew did an amazing job trying to keep the playing surface in as good a shape as possible. However, when you have as many events going on as they do at Wrigley from concerts to corporate events it is very hard to maintain," Barney told CSNChicago.com.

At a cost of $400,000 the Cubs elected to completely tear out the old grass and dirt and replace it with a new blend of dirt and a Kentucky Bluegrass that was trucked in from Colorado. The sod is the exact same that was recently installed at Busch Stadium in St. Louis when the Cardinals replaced their outfield.

Barney, who is currently hard at work along with center fielder Brett Jackson with the Cubs hitting coaches in Arizona, is excited to get back to playing at the Friendly Confines.

"My teammates and I are excited to play on a new and improved playing surface at the greatest ballpark in baseball. It is great to see that our front office is doing all they can to make our field the best in the game."

Wrigley Field's infield was improved when a new drainage system was put in place a few years ago, and the crown was removed. Barney said he wanted to make it clear that the Wrigley grounds crew was not to blame for the hard field, but pointed to all the events that take place at the ballpark, specifically mentioning the concerts.

"It's hard on them to get this thing ready to play every day," he said. "They work really hard to do that. The truth is, it is that field that people say (bad things) about. But it's your baby. You've got to say it's the best field you've ever been on and just go from there."

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast