Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Where is everyone that told me the Cubs wouldn't let LaHair go to Japan?
    You're not phrasing the question right.

The issue was whether LaHair could force the Cubs to designate him, so he could go to Japan.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    He couldn't. He wouldn't be going to Japan if anyone wanted him in the Majors. But no one does.

vCash
    I see Figgins just got released by the Mariners I think he would fit well at our 3b spot and bat 8th. Only going to cost league minimum at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mlciganek View Post
    I see Figgins just got released by the Mariners I think he would fit well at our 3b spot and bat 8th. Only going to cost league minimum at least.
    God no. Figgins is just so bad. Don't know what happened to him but honestly I would rather have Ian Stewart over him.

vCash
    Now that KC has said that they would be willing to trade Wil Myers for a front line starter, do you think we can move Garza and a couple prospects for him? Or is Garza not going to be considered a front liner?

Thoughts?

vCash
    I think they mean him as a piece for someone like David Price.

vCash
    Yeah, Garza's not good enough to be in a Myers trade discussion.

vCash
    This Friday, November 30, is the deadline to tender contracts to players who are arbitration eligible. For the Cubs, this concerns Matt Garza, James Russell, Jeff Samardzija, Ian Stewart and Luis Valbuena.

vCash
    Bruce Levine:

Chicago Cubs hire Rob Deer as Asst hitting coach.

vCash
    Sounds about right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Sounds about right.
    Another former AL Brewer and teammate of both Bosio and Sveum.

vCash
    Wonder if this means the Cubs will be making use of Rob Deer's Viz-U-Bat?

Andrew Simon has a recent story on assistant hitting coaches.

Via OnMilwaukee.com, here's an excerpt from a 2006 interview with Rob Deer. (h/t Harry Pavlidis)

Question: We've got to ask... how does a guy known for home runs, strikeouts and towering popups become a hitting coach?

Rob Deer: I answer that a lot. I don't teach the way I hit. I understand how to hit .300. I know what it takes. We tell the guys to be selectively aggressive. We want that to be their approach. We tell them 'Be patiently aggressive.' That's our motto. What does it mean? If you get a good pitch to hit and you take it, that's your fault. We don't ever want to take aggressiveness away. But, we don't want to swing at bat pitches, either.

"I'll be the first to admit I don't want them to hit like I did."
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-26-2012 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    He couldn't. He wouldn't be going to Japan if anyone wanted him in the Majors. But no one does.
    Not true. Multiple teams called on LaHair and the ball club was happy to keep him off the bench...LaHair chose the Japan route- he's basically assured 8M by doing so- he was going to be in his mid to late 30's before he came close to that type of money...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Excerpts from the most recent Q&A with Carrie Muskat:

Question: Do you see the Cubs trading Darwin Barney? His stock is high after winning the Gold Glove, but his skills are limited. I like Logan Watkins' potential better.

Carrie Muskat: Watkins may have been named the Cubs' Minor League Player of the Year after batting .281 at Double-A Tennessee, and he did perform well in his brief Arizona Fall League action and was recently added to the 40-man roster, but he's not going to unseat Barney in 2013. Barney's offensive numbers dropped in the second half, but if you're saying his defensive skills are limited, I'd have to disagree (as would Gold Glove voters). Trade Barney? No.
    Question: I've heard they are going to add seats behind home plate. How severely will this alter the appearance of Wrigley Field?

Carrie Muskat: You'll notice less foul territory behind home plate. The plan is to move the brick wall forward three feet to create room for 56 seats. It'll be interesting to see if it does affect play, especially regarding balls that get away from catchers.
    Also...

Carrie Muskat: The Cubs' Spring Training schedule should be announced this week, and ticket information will be available at that time.

vCash
    Bruce Levine:

Sveum, Rowson, Deer and the club's new third base coach David Bell worked out with outfielder Brett Jackson and second baseman Darwin Barney at the Cubs' Mesa, Ariz., minor league complex on Monday.

Jackson and Barney are in Arizona for a week of hitting and conditioning.

Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast