Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    vCash
    From the comment section at Bleacher Nation:

ActionJackson: for what its worth, I heard the Cubs and Indians are in deep in talks involving Soriano and Soriano has agreed that the Indians would be acceptable. FYI……this was from a guy on the Prosports daily forum who supposedly has a very good source in the cubs organization. He is very well respected on the forum over there and has mentioned signings and trades long before anyone has mentioned them or they have been completed. Some over there think he is an insider because how accurate he is. Who knows………( the ironic thing is his avatar is a guy holding his finger up to his mouth like “Shhhhhhh” don’t tell)…….kind of like its someone with the “know”

Chaz: Marlin Bystro or Abty?

Brian: He was talking about a post by ABTY. He is well on record of stating that he is not an insider. He works for an online media outlet who covers the Royals. Therefore has been able to meet and develop relationships with scouts and what not from other organizations. He simply passes along the information he receives from said people. Marlin on the other hand does seem to have some input from someone within the front office. Said the Cubs where looking at Hayden Simpson well before he was even thought of by anyone else at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Are you guys ever going to let the ****ing Tyler Colvin **** go? He was a painfully average outfielder.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm itching for opening day. I really can't tolerate this off-season anymore. It's fun for a while, but I'm ready to get to the fun part! Let's play some ball!
    Painfully average > Painfully bad

And no, I won't. I'm a Clemson fan/student, and it chapped my *** bad when we traded Colvin for utter garbage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    We hear this garbage every year, and it has nothing to do with how well the player performs the next year. He's in the best shape of his life! He's rededicated himself to baseball!
    Every once in a while it does pan out - I would rather see that he is working hard then being out of shape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Stuff like this is why advanced stats are overrated. You can't quantify work ethic. Barney is so underrated around these parts.
    lol at all of this

you realize that the advanced metrics actually love barney, right?

and what difference does work ethic make if it doesn't show itself in the results? if metrics say a player is not very good, trying hard doesn't make the player any less not good.

vCash
    I am not a big fan of his and think we should sell high on him but his hard work last offseason certainly helped him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post

and what difference does work ethic make if it doesn't show itself in the results? if metrics say a player is not very good, trying hard doesn't make the player any less not good.
    Indeed. Many people have a love affair with blue-collar scrappers who are short on talent, ostensibly because it makes them relatable.

But the minor leagues and major league benches are rife with guys who work harder than anybody just to stay in the game, but lack the talent to really succeed. While this work ethic is admirable, it doesn't on its own mean anything as far as being good player. Talent is the catalyst.

I'd be more than willing to bet that if one found a way to quantify work ethic and then assembled a 25-man roster of the hardest working guys in the bigs, it'd be an awful team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by radar3454 View Post
    I am not a big fan of his and think we should sell high on him but his hard work last offseason certainly helped him
    It did, but most of his value lies in his defense, which didn't benefit as much from his work as his offense (which didn't improve in the final equation). I like Barney and think he has value, but I agree that now is the time to deal him, or very soon. I think he's pretty close to his ceiling.

The one thing he could realistically do that would really boost his value would be to refine his approach and take a lot more walks. He's be a pretty appealing player if he were sporting a .350+ OBP to go with his defense.
    Last edited by The Masked Unit; 01-27-2013 at 08:45 PM.

vCash
    Tyler Colvin was not very good at baseball. The only reason why he was painfully average last season was because he was playing half of his games in Coors. The agony that some fans display and the criticism of the front office that they give over giving him up is unwarranted and very abject.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Masked Unit View Post
    It did, but most of his value lies in his defense, which didn't benefit as much from his work as his offense (which didn't improve in the final equation). I like Barney and think he has value, but I agree that now is the time to deal him, or very soon. I think he's pretty close to his ceiling.

The one thing he could realistically do that would really boost his value would be to refine his approach and take a lot more walks. He's be a pretty appealing player if he were sporting a .350+ OBP to go with his defense.
    He's be pretty appealing at .320. Really he's probably already appealing as a durable, capable starter at 2B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    He's be pretty appealing at .320. Really he's probably already appealing as a durable, capable starter at 2B.
    Yeah, my wording was probably too conservative. At .350 he'd be an extremely valuable asset, assuming he maintains his defensive performance. I'm also not entirely convinced the love he got from the defensive metrics in 2012 wasn't due in part to defensive positioning schemes, so I think he'll need to improve his offense if he wants to increase (or maintain, even) his overall value.

But yeah, I'd take a .320 OBP from Barney without complaint. But for me to consider him a "core" player as Jed purports to do, I'd need to see quite a bit more from him at the plate. Frankly, I'd just as soon deal him now while his value is high, assuming we'd get a nice return.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Masked Unit View Post
    Yeah, my wording was probably too conservative. At .350 he'd be an extremely valuable asset, assuming he maintains his defensive performance. I'm also not entirely convinced the love he got from the defensive metrics in 2012 wasn't due in part to defensive positioning schemes, so I think he'll need to improve his offense if he wants to increase (or maintain, even) his overall value.

But yeah, I'd take a .320 OBP from Barney without complaint. But for me to consider him a "core" player as Jed purports to do, I'd need to see quite a bit more from him at the plate. Frankly, I'd just as soon deal him now while his value is high, assuming we'd get a nice return.
    I would be very surprised if Barney is with the Cubs after July 31st. The Cubs will open the season with him, but assuming he and Marmol are at least what they were last season then you can fully expect both to be moved before the deadline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobias View Post
    I would be very surprised if Barney is with the Cubs after July 31st. The Cubs will open the season with him, but assuming he and Marmol are at least what they were last season then you can fully expect both to be moved before the deadline.
    Even with all the talk of him being considered one of the "core" players that the FO keeps talking about, along with Rizzo, Castro, and Samardzija? Do you think Soriano will still be here when the season starts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Even with all the talk of him being considered one of the "core" players that the FO keeps talking about, along with Rizzo, Castro, and Samardzija? Do you think Soriano will still be here when the season starts?
    The FO could very well be serious when calling Barney a core player, or it could be posturing to drive his value up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    It'd be easier to pull a rabbit out of a hat than predict where Soriano's future with the Cubs lies. Despite the belief that nobody was interested in him last July, I was disclosed by a confidant that their were up to six teams in the AL who made more than fair offers for Soriano. The guy simply likes playing in Chicago and is comfortable their. I've heard the rumblings about Cleveland, if not even that, but have been told that nothing is expected to come out of them. Soriano is virtually a lock to open the season in Chicago and remain their until he is ready to move on or his contract is up. It would not surprise me at all if he served the rest of his contract for the Cubs.
    Last edited by Gobias; 01-28-2013 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    It's badass that we now have 3 pretty dang reliable insiders on this board.

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast