Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Cleaning a Mac

Hybrid View

vCash

Cleaning a Mac

What is the best way to clean my mac? I have a semi-brand new macbook pro with retina display and recently it has been acting weird. I feel like I have a virus, but Avast isn't catching anything, even though firefox acts super weird and I get pop ups all the time. I feel like I got the virus from watching breaking bad on 1channel.

I have CCleaner and that seems to do a good job, however I need to do more to clean it.

Any suggestions?
    [Center]FEAR THE DEAR

vCash
    Since you spent at least $1500 on your MacBook Retina, consider spending for a program.

I first used CleanMyMac but was disappointed because we (the customers) have been waiting for CleanMyMac 2 for at least two years and nothing has come yet.

I went ahead and bought MacKeeper and it's much much better. It can scan through a bunch of things and you also get a free backup/cloud disc that is to be announced soon.

It's worth it. I run it about once every two weeks or so. I have a 2009 iMac and upgraded to 8GB RAM last Christmas and it still runs like it did the first day I got it.

vCash
    b-but macs dont get viruses

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    b-but macs dont get viruses

I was gonna say the same thing. But then everyone labels you a hater.
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew View Post

I was gonna say the same thing. But then everyone labels you a hater.
    I suppose this is my cue...

I must confess I don't know anything about this particular situation. I don't have any Help Desk training and this sort of thing.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post

I must confess I don't know anything about this particular situation. I don't have any Help Desk training and this sort of thing.
    Just trying to inform, everybody always said that Macs didn't get viruses, which was always untrue. The only reason that they didn't get them was because it was not worth hackers time to develop a virus for a Mac, when they could make it for Windows which was always far far far away the more used OS. Now that Mac is becoming more popular, there are actually viruses being created.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaruSoul View Post
    Just trying to inform, everybody always said that Macs didn't get viruses, which was always untrue. The only reason that they didn't get them was because it was not worth hackers time to develop a virus for a Mac, when they could make it for Windows which was always far far far away the more used OS. Now that Mac is becoming more popular, there are actually viruses being created.
    I come at it from more of a hardware and interest side than a software. I certainly agree that they can get viruses but I think people overlook another motivation of hackers that I think is stronger than financial incentive. Hackers want to make a name for themselves without making a name for themselves and a massive virus hit on Macs would do just that.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post

that made me laugh

vCash
    uninstall firefox, use chrome.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    uninstall firefox, use chrome.
    Chrome or bust

vCash
    Give it a bath.