Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why the NY Mets traded Angel Pagan

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...sEnabled=false

The former Met is jumping and whooping and spraying champagne and enjoying October so much more than anyone on his old team. A Mets fan at home might be screaming at the TV: Pagan is going to the World Series with the San Francisco Giants, and Andres Torres stunk this year! So the Mets should have kept him, right?

Right?

Nope.

Sometimes a job gets weird, and the only way to rediscover your best self is to find another workplace.

“Angel isn’t a bad guy, but we needed to move him,” said one Mets official this week, knowing that Pagan enjoyed a competent year in center field for the National League West champion Giants, batting .288 with a .338 on-base percentage and eight home runs - and that Torres, the outfielder the Mets received for Pagan, batted .230 in 132 games. Reliever Ramon Ramirez, the final component of the deal, was even worse.

Pagan is a highly gifted athlete, and a positive presence when a clubhouse fits him. In the Giants’ locker room, he smiles, effusive about this taste of autumn intensity.

“I have never been in the playoffs before,” Pagan says. “This is my first opportunity. It’s truly a blessing. Being in this situation - going to spring training, getting to know your teammates, working on the plays, you work hard for this. You work in spring training for this. It’s just unbelievable.”

The summer of 2011 was much darker. Pagan began the year with a Carlos Beltran-endorsed move from right field to center, and the chance to become the future at that position for the Mets. But he hit .159 in April, spent time on the disabled list and saw an opportunity slip. His optimism curdled.

Happy and chatty during a breakout season in 2010, Pagan wore headphones and a scowl during most of his time in the clubhouse the next year, often sitting at his locker and staring at an iPad instead of interacting with teammates.

Those teammates noticed, and many were aggravated on July 24, when Pagan left a game in Miami with what he called dehydration.

“He’s ( f------) soft,” one player said that day - which might have been unfair, but was the internal opinion at the time.

Terry Collins tried to help. The manager would call Pagan into his office and deliver variations of this speech: Angel, you’re young, you’re gifted, you have a beautiful family and millions of dollars. Cheer up.

It did not work.

The year spiraled, and Pagan was lost - and all that came before the August day in Philadelphia when his colitis acted up. Pagan had an accident while in the field, and failed to appear in the on-deck circle when due in the next inning.

Sympathetic to his medical condition, Mets coaches and trainers still wondered why Pagan did not tell them what had happened, rather than vanishing, which created an awkward situation in a sold-out ballpark.

By then, the Mets had long been contemplating non-tendering Pagan , which would have ended his stay with them, while yielding no return. So when San Francisco GM Brian Sabean entered the Mets’ suite at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas during last year’s winter meetings and said he was ready to deal - well, Sandy Alderson was ready, too.

Upon arriving on the other coast, Pagan recovered his smile, and his talent.

“I think it’s always good for a player - a change of scenery can do them well,” says Giants manager Bruce Bochy. “They occasionally will, I hate to say, get stale, but they seem to become a different player sometimes with a different club. Same with the player that could be with us that moves on. You see that happen a lot.”

Did it happen with Pagan?

“With Angel, we really thought he was a really good player with the Mets and he did a good job over there,” Bochy says. “I think he likes it here and he’s enjoyed his time here and his play showed it.”

They are people, these major leaguers, and they need to feel comfortable. So while it is fair to criticize Pagan for his moody year in 2011, and Alderson for not finding a better trade, it is impossible - even on Wednesday, when Pagan runs from the dugout to the third base line at AT&T Park, cheered by fans of his new team before Game 1 of the World Series - to fault the Mets’ decision to move a player who only could have found happiness elsewhere.

vCash
    I was totally for the trade at the time, it just so happens that the guys we got back ended up sucking and Angel became a very productive player again. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

vCash
    I mean if the guy is labeled soft that's certainly not a great attribute to have in NY but however soft he was last year, he has turned it around this year.

They were hoping they would catch the same lightning in a bottle Torres gave the Giants in 2010 and Ramirez would be the effective reliever he had been to that point.

Neither of those things happened though and Pagan went on to have a great year in San Francisco.

I guess either way, the Mets shouldn't have dealt a switch hitting leadoff guy when they had just lost Reyes and had no suitable full time replacement in that spot but what's done is done.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-24-2012 at 03:13 PM.

vCash
    The year spiraled, and Pagan was lost - and all that came before the August day in Philadelphia when his colitis acted up. Pagan had an accident while in the field, and failed to appear in the on-deck circle when due in the next inning.
    So really they should rename this article "The Hot August Day Angel **** Himself In Philadelphia"

I guess sometimes **** happens, in this case it was running down Angel's leg.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-24-2012 at 03:48 PM.

vCash
    I think the main focus was not communicating with his teammates or coaches. Then every thing else like being labeled soft and and not showing up in the batters box.

But since this isn't an article bout the Mets not having money or them trading away young players no one will like this.

vCash

Why the NY Mets traded Angel Pagan

The article smells like **** just like Angel's pants must off.

Is always a terrible idea to trade a player because of character opinions by others.

vCash
    You should create a roster based on talent, not on the opinion of opinionated players.

But the problem with the Mets wasn't Pagan, and it isn't Torres or Ramirez. So it hardly matters what the Mets did in that trade.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Very true.

It's emblematic of a much larger problem and that's the philosophy this team is taking in adding payroll, players, and finding a sense of direction they can succeed with.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-24-2012 at 04:55 PM.

vCash
    I am sorry, would Pagan swapped with Torres have meant a playoff birth for the Mets this year? Really? No...then so what.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    The article smells like **** just like Angel's pants must off.

Is always a terrible idea to trade a player because of character opinions by others.
    DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!

The only thing that smells worse than this article is, well, Andres Horsespit Torres.

Pagan can play, Pagan can hit. Pagan can field. Pagan is the starting centerfielder for a World Series team.

Andres Torres will have trouble making a 74-win team.

Yet, somehow the Mets organization and maybe a former teammate or two wants us to believe Pagan is the bad guy.

The one who needs to go is whomever made these comments and maybe even the one who made the trade.

Is anyone else as sick of all this garbage as I am?
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 10-24-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    I am sorry, would Pagan swapped with Torres have meant a playoff birth for the Mets this year? Really? No...then so what.
    STRAW MAN!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, Mr. Scarecrow, but would the Mets have been a better team with Pagan in centerfield than with Torres?

That's the only relevant question worth asking and the answer is an unequivocal and resounding YES!!!!!!!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    You should create a roster based on talent, not on the opinion of opinionated players.

But the problem with the Mets wasn't Pagan, and it isn't Torres or Ramirez. So it hardly matters what the Mets did in that trade.
    It matters because you win with good players, not bad ones.

Pagan was a good player for us despite his troubles last year. And he's a good player for the Giants this year, like he was for us in '09 and '10.

He was replaced by Andres Torres, a bad player.

Yes, that matters.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 10-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    If that's the reason why they dealed him, they are ****ing ********. Looking back on the deal, we really sold low on him. Also calling someone who is dyhydrated soft is so immature, you can easily catch a cramp when you are dyhydrated, especially for a fast CF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    If that's the reason why they dealed him, they are ****ing ********. Looking back on the deal, we really sold low on him. Also calling someone who is dyhydrated soft is so immature, you can easily catch a cramp when you are dyhydrated, especially for a fast CF.
    Thank you for restoring my faith in the Youth of America.

vCash
    The Mets made a choice between Pagan's colitis and Torres' geriatric calf, lol. I can't imagine a player being moody in this organization over the last few years.
    Last edited by SILVER SEAVER; 10-24-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast