Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post Spurs are in great position to upgrade roster during the season

By J. Gomez (Edg5)
    Pounding the Rock:

The Spurs waived Eddy Curry and Derrick Brown, who were previously reported to be fighting for the last roster spot. If one of them was going to make the roster, I preferred Brown, but most fans (and every writer looking to pen a redemption story about the fallen star) wanted Curry to stay with the Spurs. Others simply wanted either of these guys, or Witherspoon or Powell to make the team as a sign that PATFO wanted to make a change to the front court rotation. In my eyes, neither of the remaining training camp invitees has a good shot at making the team, but I still think the Spurs are looking to upgrade their front line, and will eventually get someone better than the guys available now.

First of all, the Spurs already have 5 big men better than Curry and Powell. Brown is more of a combo forward but the Spurs have Leonard and Jackson to play SF and Bonner, Diaw and Blair to play PF. Witherspoon seems like he has some potential but at this point he's not better than the other forwards and if he stays, he'll be spending most of his time in Austin, wearing a bull on his shirt. Basically, the Spurs are not really letting a lot of talent slip away; these guys, while interesting, are not that hard to replace at any point in the season. There will always be some big bodies or raw forwards to call up from the D-League or veterans that were waived or are returning from overseas.

Now, I can see how some might consider the Spurs' reluctance to retain these guys as a sign that they are OK with their current roster. While that could be the case, and it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world, I still believe the Spurs will make a move at some point. It might not be a huge move but it will very likely mean acquiring someone better than Eddy Curry. The why is clear: the Spurs should look to address some of their weaknesses, namely up front, considering the Lakers, Thunder, Clippers and Nuggets all got better. The how, is also pretty evident: the Spurs have a lot of assets.

DeJuan Blair is in the last year of an extremely cap-friendly contract and has shown he can produce. He's also young and the concern most teams had with him coming to the league, his knees, hasn't proved troublesome so far. So a rebuilding team looking for another young piece, like the Magic, would probably be willing to take a flier on DeJuan; once the season starts and if the Spurs asking price is simply a veteran big, teams like the Nets or Bulls might bite as well. Matt Bonner has another year left in his contract after this one but that last year is only partially guaranteed. A team looking for a floor-spacing shooter that can also bring some professionalism to the locker room, like the Kings, would be wise to engage the Spurs in trade talk. Gary Neal, not unlike Blair, is on a fantastic contract that is set to expire. One of the teams that has an excess of bigs and needs guard help, say, the Bucks, could be interested in balancing their roster for cheap and without future salary commitments.

And then there's Jackson. I don't think expiring contracts will be that valuable this season; that will happen when the tax bills start to come. But Jackson can also provide value as a player and the Spurs could combine Jack, Bonner, Neal and Blair and offer the Trade Triple Threat: production, cap relief and youth, in exchange for a veteran big that needs a change of scenery like Anderson Varejao, Andrea Bargnani or Emeka Okafor.. The loss of Jack would be tough, but if Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green maintain their level or take a step forward, the Spurs could survive it. And I haven't even mentioned Cory Joseph, Patty Mills or, in a few weeks, Nando De Colo or Danny Green as potential trade pieces.

Even if a trade is not in the cards, it's likely there will be veterans that, after being waived, are looking to join a contender. The Spurs probably won't get another Boris Diaw from the waiver wire, but they certainly could find someone that can provide what Curry or Brown were going to provide as 15th men. So as you see, filling out that last roster spot with a camp invitee was and still is an intriguing possibility, but it's hardly the Spurs' best shot at upgrading their front court. If PATFO wants to shake things up in the big man department, they have the tools to do it. We'll just have to wait a little while to see how it happens.
    http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/...ster-NBA-trade

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    Nice read... That's what were all hoping for I think. 1 thing is certain this team can win ball games. The #1 seed is really important to try and avoid okc or la. If we can win enough ball games and nab someone at the deadline like Diaw that would be a great thing.

I wish it happened sooner to allow for chemistry and learning the system. We were fortunate Diaw already had some familiarity with our system.

vCash
    Ya..hopefully someone good, soon

vCash
    Bonner and Blair being "better" than anyone is laughable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSpurs23 View Post
    Bonner and Blair being "better" than anyone is laughable.
    Do you honestly believe this or are you just saying this because you are disappointed that we don't have someone else at this point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Axegrinder View Post
    Ya..hopefully someone good, soon
    I wouldn't hold my breath. I actually am pretty confident that this is the team we will go into the playoffs with unless we have a really bad season and aren't on pace for 55-60 wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    Do you honestly believe this or are you just saying this because you are disappointed that we don't have someone else at this point?
    At this point yes, I'm willing to try anyone over both Bonner and Blair.

I just don't see why Bonner is still around. he's been with the Spurs for what 9 years? Do the Spurs really think he's going to magically grow a pair in the playoffs this year?

As for Blair, if we want a no defense playing big why not get Curry who at least has a few low post moves and can finish around the rim with some authority. Oh yeah and he's like 7 inches taller.

vCash

I just don't see why Bonner is still around. he's been with the Spurs for what 9 years? Do the Spurs really think he's going to magically grow a pair in the playoffs this year?

As for Blair, if we want a no defense playing big why not get Curry who at least has a few low post moves and can finish around the rim with some authority. Oh yeah and he's like 7 inches taller.
    Because Blair is under contract, has trade value, and can actually play the pick and roll. I get that you're frustrated, but the grass isn't always greener. Blair is a solid role player, and if he's added a jumper like he claims he has (at least he's trying) then that's a bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash

To not understand the value that these guys have for us, doesn't make sense to me. So you are saying that the front office has no idea what they are doing. Either that or they just don't care.

Bonner has played 6 years with us first off. And leading the league in 3p% in 10-11 and being ranked 7th in active players 3p% is nothing to scoff at. I am sorry he isn't your superstar but he serves a valuable role in our system. That being said I think he will be amnestied this next year, but that doesn't mean he has no value.

I also wanted Curry to stick, but doubted that it would happen. But assuming that he would automatically offer more than Blair is ridiculous. And maybe Curry will be a playoff stud, oh wait, he has never even seen a playoff game (except from the bench).

These guys may frustrate us but they are often beneficial to the system. Are there better players? Yes, but they don't just fall into our laps. All the guys we cut were not better than these two guys nor did they fit our system like Blair and Bonner. At least this is what world championship coach believed and who am I to question who stays and who goes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    To not understand the value that these guys have for us, doesn't make sense to me. So you are saying that the front office has no idea what they are doing. Either that or they just don't care.

Bonner has played 6 years with us first off. And leading the league in 3p% in 10-11 and being ranked 7th in active players 3p% is nothing to scoff at. I am sorry he isn't your superstar but he serves a valuable role in our system. That being said I think he will be amnestied this next year, but that doesn't mean he has no value.

I also wanted Curry to stick, but doubted that it would happen. But assuming that he would automatically offer more than Blair is ridiculous. And maybe Curry will be a playoff stud, oh wait, he has never even seen a playoff game (except from the bench).

These guys may frustrate us but they are often beneficial to the system. Are there better players? Yes, but they don't just fall into our laps. All the guys we cut were not better than these two guys nor did they fit our system like Blair and Bonner. At least this is what world championship coach believed and who am I to question who stays and who goes.
    Sure Bonner can be great in a particular role. I just happen to think that role is as a 4th or 5th big. The major problem is that he hasn't been used properly because we never addressed our front court woes. You want to look at his 3p %? Ok, I can dig it. But look at his numbers around March-April or so. His numbers start to fall well before the PO's start for some reason.

Honestly, I would have preferred to drop Blair & add Brown & Curry. Hell since TD works more on the outside I think we could have dropped Bonner as well. I would definitely take Brown/Curry over Bonner/Blair. I happen to think they have the potential to be better & I think their size & versatility would have fit this team greatly. TD works more on the outside now, we would have added the aforementioned size & versatility, as well as providing some much needed post scoring next to TD. Their defense couldn't actually be much worse than those 2 either. Not to mention Curry at least has shown potential in the past.

Also, I think it's funny, but outside Bonner's shooting that begins to fail around March-April, they only fit this team because of chemistry due to time served. Outside that I believe they are a detriment. Now if Bonner doesn't disappear I am all for him keeping his spot. Only problem is that there are too many years of evidence to bet on that. I shouldn't really have to touch on Blair as that should be obvious.

I am not saying that Pop or the org. are terrible at their jobs, but they are not infallible. Come the PO's Bonner will disappear & Blair will be benched. We should have went another direction considering Pop seemingly has some type of problem with Tiago.

Just mo.

vCash
    Funny that Curry was immediately snagged by the Mavs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnWantedTheory View Post
    Sure Bonner can be great in a particular role. I just happen to think that role is as a 4th or 5th big. The major problem is that he hasn't been used properly because we never addressed our front court woes. You want to look at his 3p %? Ok, I can dig it. But look at his numbers around March-April or so. His numbers start to fall well before the PO's start for some reason.

Honestly, I would have preferred to drop Blair & add Brown & Curry. Hell since TD works more on the outside I think we could have dropped Bonner as well. I would definitely take Brown/Curry over Bonner/Blair. I happen to think they have the potential to be better & I think their size & versatility would have fit this team greatly. TD works more on the outside now, we would have added the aforementioned size & versatility, as well as providing some much needed post scoring next to TD. Their defense couldn't actually be much worse than those 2 either. Not to mention Curry at least has shown potential in the past.

Also, I think it's funny, but outside Bonner's shooting that begins to fail around March-April, they only fit this team because of chemistry due to time served. Outside that I believe they are a detriment. Now if Bonner doesn't disappear I am all for him keeping his spot. Only problem is that there are too many years of evidence to bet on that. I shouldn't really have to touch on Blair as that should be obvious.

I am not saying that Pop or the org. are terrible at their jobs, but they are not infallible. Come the PO's Bonner will disappear & Blair will be benched. We should have went another direction considering Pop seemingly has some type of problem with Tiago.

Just mo.
    No, I can buy your arguments. And in no way do I see Bonner and Blair as great players. I was just questioning why we assume that the other guys are going to be better. The whole point of the preseason and training camp is to get an idea of how guys fit. I also understand guarunteed contracts and that teams don't want to just eat money. But I have to believe that if Pop thought that any of those guys were going to put us over the top then he would have kept them. He knows that they are playing for Timmy's final championship. Infallible, absolutely, but at the same time, I sit in my living room, watch a few minutes of play, and check the boxscores. So I have to trust their opinion when they spend countless hours with these guys.

As far as the postseason goes, it is not helpful that neither Blair nor Bonner step up. However, what gives you any impression that Curry or Brown would have this year? At least I can hope that Blair and Bonner's experience will finally kick in(hope being the optimal word). Playoffs are critical, but so is getting there. As much as Blair and Bonner have screwed us over at the end of the year, they have played just as big of a role in getting us the high seeds. So I will take my chances with these guys and a home court verses the other guys and possibly a 5/6 seed.

And I too cringed just a little when I saw that Curry went to Dallas. And is STARTING. My first reaction honestly was, 'we screwed up!'. But then I thought about Mahinmi. We gave that guy all kinds of shots and tried to have him step in and he just couldn't do it here. Some guys are will only excel in certain schemes. Curry may put up decent numbers in Dallas, but that doesn't mean he would have here and it doesn't mean that those decent numbers would have translated into wins.

The problem with these conversations is that it is all speculation now. I am speculating that B/B will more productive than the other guys. We have no way of knowing. I would love something different, but at this stage I am not sure it helps to complain about it since there is not many options out there. Let's see how the first few weeks go and see if Blair really has changed and then come mid season maybe something else will work out.

vCash
    The thing is we know what we are going to get out of Bonner and Blair come playoff time. Curry was a long shot, but i think for a vet minimum salary you have to take that gamble. I love our front office, but I've been scratching my head on how they can be completely oblivious to Bonner and his horrible playoff meltdowns. Like Unwanted said, he even starts sucking a month before the PO.

I think the Spurs value "corporate knowledge" more than they should. It's time to gamble and see what happens......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
    Because Blair is under contract, has trade value, and can actually play the pick and roll. I get that you're frustrated, but the grass isn't always greener. Blair is a solid role player, and if he's added a jumper like he claims he has (at least he's trying) then that's a bonus.
    He can play the PnR pretty well, but he can't defend it worth a damn. His lack of height and mobility basically makes him usless against the majority of PF's. He has had a problems with his weight, and his defensive rebounding and steadily decreased since his rookie season.

His contract is solid and should be used as trade bait. He just doesn't fit with the Spurs imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnWantedTheory View Post
    Funny that Curry was immediately snagged by the Mavs.
    Looked formidable against Pau/Dwight too. He was punishing Pau in the post and got a foul or 2 charged to Dwight. We have no one that can do that outside of Timmy, and it would've been nice to get that kind of post player for games like the ones vs LA, or Memphis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast