Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think this could get done without any of the big three.

They could use outfielders and a 3B prospect. Maybe a fly ball pitcher like Wood.

vCash
    I'm all for it. I could see the Cubs willing to eat every dollar of Johnson's contract. We have more than enough room to accommodate it. These are the types of "risks" I see us making this offseason. If we are to eat all of it, then I agree with RedHeads, we won't have to give up any of the big 3.

vCash
    I like Josh Johnson and love the idea of getting him. But realistically what is the cost. Wood and Vitters? Hell yes! One of the top 3 prospects in the organization? Hell No!

vCash
    With only one year left on his deal, Theo and Jed would laugh and hang up the phone if the Marlins wanted Baez, Soler or Almora for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    That's true but it's still not going to be chump change.
    I think it could be.....they essentially traded Hanley for Eovaldi. Johnson with 1 year left on his contract might be attainable for the Jackson/Vitters pupu platter if we absorb the whole salary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    With only one year left on his deal, Theo and Jed would laugh and hang up the phone if the Marlins wanted Baez, Soler or Almora for him.
    I would think so, but remember A. Sanchez went for Turner. And Turner was a higher rated prospect then any of the Cubs prospects you mentioned. I realize one was a trade deadline deal and this is not. But I also know Cubs fans always expect them to get a lot for a little. And are not always realistic. Johnson will bring back a solid return to the Marlins, or they won't move him. Remember, if they don't remove him they will get a suppemental pick if they offer him arby next year. And I beleive they will. So it will have to be someone of value in the system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I would think so, but remember A. Sanchez went for Turner. And Turner was a higher rated prospect then any of the Cubs prospects you mentioned. I realize one was a trade deadline deal and this is not. But I also know Cubs fans always expect them to get a lot for a little. And are not always realistic. Johnson will bring back a solid return to the Marlins, or they won't move him. Remember, if they don't remove him they will get a suppemental pick if they offer him arby next year. And I beleive they will. So it will have to be someone of value in the system.
    Turners stock was way, way down after his shoulder injury.

I don't see JJ being too expensive if we're taking on all his salary. Especially since they lost out on that "long term" label.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    If I post enough of his tweets, maybe it'll raise his stock enough so that we can sell the Marlins on a Floridian and trade them Rock Shoulders.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    I would love to see JJ in a Cubs uniform....

the worry isn't the money.... the worry should be if he can stay healthy which I think he can

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    Look what they gave up Cabrera for.

They're interested in losing payroll more than bringing in potential talent, IMO.
    exactly, Theo and Jed are interested because they are going to try to poach good talent for little in return. Good for them for attempting this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    Turners stock was way, way down after his shoulder injury.

I don't see JJ being too expensive if we're taking on all his salary. Especially since they lost out on that "long term" label.
    We will see. I know he won't cost any of the big 3. But I think he will be more costly then people are expecting. It isn't like the Cubs are the only team they can deal with. And taking on the salary really isnt a big deal. It is one year if they decide not to extend him. Many teams would love to get a pitcher for one year. If Johnson can be had for one year at $13M for a decent prospect and maybe another high reward guy, I would much rather have him then picking up a FA pitcher who agrees to a one year deal. With Johnson, if you keep him you can get a supplemental pick if you don't resign him. So that supplemental pick could be better than the prospect you gave up. Plus you can always move him if they are not in contention at the trade deadline. With that thinking, I would expect there will be several teams lining up for him. Because of that the cost will be higher than I believe most would be willing to give up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I don't see the need to extend him. Flip him...If he's fixed up a bigger contender out there will definitely be interested.

Former Marlins pitchers are weird. Beckett, Pavano, Burnett, Penny, Volstad....None of these guys ever fully lived up to the hype.
    I'll take a Beckett or a Burnett at 28 any day of the week - twice on sundays

Put Vitters in some kind of deal with them, eat majority of the contract and bring us wright/headley
    Last edited by utkcub; 10-24-2012 at 03:02 PM.

vCash
    Agree with you but you should probably not get your hopes up on Wright or Headley to save yourself some disapointment later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheAutomator View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but how is his best season for ERA (3.23) higher than his career ERA (3.15)? I'm not trying to point to ERA for justification I just don't understand the math there.
    I think you just misread the post.

The article said "The 6-foot-7 pitcher has a 56-37 lifetime record with a 3.15 ERA with the Marlins. His best season was 2009 when he went 15-5 with a 3.23 ERA in 33 starts. "

They are looking at his win/loss record as his best season, not necessarily his ERA.

vCash
    I've always liked Josh, just not sure why exactly.

OK Nick, you see that over there? That's what used to be of our playoff chances.

My name is Mark Sanchez. I am here to screw you over.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast