Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ty_smitty21 View Post
    Josh Johnson and Justin Upton could both be had for less than what they would have cost 1-2 years ago. I'd love both, and make them both building blocks for the future.
    I'd personally try and use my pieces to do an Upton deal first.

vCash
    Johnson wasn't dealt at the deadline because they wanted too much for him. They supposedly wanted Olt, Perez, and more from Texas. He's not going to come cheap and he'd bring more of a return than Garza, because he's a better pitcher. So, think about the packages that get thrown out here for Garza. Then probably add a bit to it. That's one way to get Johnson. The second way though, makes more sense possibly: Take Buehrle with him. If the Marlins want to truly shed money, I'm not sure that there's another team in baseball right now that can offer to take both and pay all the money as well. Buehrle is owed 51 mill over the next 3 years. He gets dealt this offseason, it's most likely for a nothing return and half the contract getting paid for by the Marlins. If cash is a primary objective, we could add the pair. We've got the extra 30.75 mill to do it. We've got 2 rotation spots available and the cost doing it this way wouldn't prohibit us from dealing Johnson at midseason for much more than we gave up to get him. And for that matter, Buehrle's likely a guy that can pitch with reasonable effectiveness thru the rest of his deal and with our payroll situation, it wouldn't affect us moving forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by davell View Post
    Johnson wasn't dealt at the deadline because they wanted too much for him. They supposedly wanted Olt, Perez, and more from Texas. He's not going to come cheap and he'd bring more of a return than Garza, because he's a better pitcher. So, think about the packages that get thrown out here for Garza. Then probably add a bit to it. That's one way to get Johnson. The second way though, makes more sense possibly: Take Buehrle with him. If the Marlins want to truly shed money, I'm not sure that there's another team in baseball right now that can offer to take both and pay all the money as well. Buehrle is owed 51 mill over the next 3 years. He gets dealt this offseason, it's most likely for a nothing return and half the contract getting paid for by the Marlins. If cash is a primary objective, we could add the pair. We've got the extra 30.75 mill to do it. We've got 2 rotation spots available and the cost doing it this way wouldn't prohibit us from dealing Johnson at midseason for much more than we gave up to get him. And for that matter, Buehrle's likely a guy that can pitch with reasonable effectiveness thru the rest of his deal and with our payroll situation, it wouldn't affect us moving forward.
    this is the best option. Buerhle is a chicago guy with a name in the city plus he is a vet that wont block any specs coming up. We have the flexibiliy to make this move...deal Garza and Johnson at the deadline for more core pieces

vCash
    Even then, I doubt it'd come totally cheap. But maybe something like Alcantara, Szczur, and LaHair? Maybe Brett and Lahair? Either way, if Johnson impressed, we'd have the chance to get more back by dealing him separately at the deadline. Not to mention, adding those 2 makes the rotation very solid in 2013 and if things fell right, we could sneak into contention.

vCash
    I wouldn't be opposed to the team taking Buerhle and Johnson. We need to fill the two spots. Buerhle can give you innings and is still a good pitcher on top of it. Them 2 with Garza, Samardzija, and maybe one of the McCarthy, Marcum, etc types with Wood as the 6th option isn't a bad rotation. It also gives me hope that they are aiming a little higher this off season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to the team taking Buerhle and Johnson. We need to fill the two spots. Buerhle can give you innings and is still a good pitcher on top of it. Them 2 with Garza, Samardzija, and maybe one of the McCarthy, Marcum, etc types with Wood as the 6th option isn't a bad rotation. It also gives me hope that they are aiming a little higher this off season
    There's little to no chance the Cubs are going to go add a McCarthy or a Marcum after a trade that netted Johnson/Buerhle.

That's pipe dream.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Hearing the Cardinals are all over Buerhle...actually hearing an interesting proposition being floated by the Cards- they first asked the Marlins to eat 3/4 the contract in return for a very solid prospect return- Marlins rebuffed, saying they won't pay a nickel over half and even that is barely on the table. Cardinals getting creative by trying to land a big money third party to deal for Buerhle and 50% of contract then flip him to them along with an additional 12.725M (roughly half of the half remaining) for solid prospect(s)... Yankees are looking under every rock trying get land close MLB ready quality prospects along with one of the more aggressive teams in a Josh Johnson sweepstakes... In other words, don't count on it Cubs fans...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    well ****.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Hearing the Cardinals are all over Buerhle...actually hearing an interesting proposition being floated by the Cards- they first asked the Marlins to eat 3/4 the contract in return for a very solid prospect return- Marlins rebuffed, saying they won't pay a nickel over half and even that is barely on the table. Cardinals getting creative by trying to land a big money third party to deal for Buerhle and 50% of contract then flip him to them along with an additional 12.725M (roughly half of the half remaining) for solid prospect(s)... Yankees are looking under every rock trying get land close MLB ready quality prospects along with one of the more aggressive teams in a Josh Johnson sweepstakes... In other words, don't count on it Cubs fans...
    The Marlins pretend they'll spend all of this money, but now they've changed their minds and won't even eat much to get actual prospects back. What an awful franchise.

vCash
    Too many variables in this situation, trade specs for JJ to then trade him and hope to get more specs? I'm assuming you are thinking that they will take our garbage prospects and we can fleece another team... I don't exactly see that happening. I'd love to have him but chances are we can get him for only $'s after next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimbrH2001 View Post
    We need this guy to play until the trade deadline, then flip him. If we give up too much plus pay his salary, and we don't get better prospects back in return by the deadline, what's the point? Too much of a gamble if we have to give up some quality pieces on our farm.
    There are probably teams that aren't looking to add him to flip him.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mlciganek View Post
    Too many variables in this situation, trade specs for JJ to then trade him and hope to get more specs? I'm assuming you are thinking that they will take our garbage prospects and we can fleece another team... I don't exactly see that happening. I'd love to have him but chances are we can get him for only $'s after next year.
    While it's already been debunked, I was hoping the Marlins needed cash badly enough that by paying ALL of Buehrle's contract on top of JJ's, it'd lessen the return. If we were contending, we obviously wouldn't flip him, but if not, and he were pitching well, it'd have been an option, if it made sense. At any rate, I could see us taking extra money on in a deal, if it involves paying less of a return.

vCash
    Well that was nice to think about for a few hours. First David Wright and now this

vCash
    Well that was nice to think about for a few hours. First David Wright and now this
    To be fair - Johnson isn't nearly as exciting as Wright. He's dealt with his fair share of injury problems, he's lost 2 MPH since 2010 and over a MPH since last year, throws a ton of sliders as a pitcher with elbow problems....Ks are down and walks are up.

I worry about overpaying for a name, and despite his age I don't see Johnson putting up seasons like his '09 or '10 (each ~6 fWAR) unless some big changes happen. I'd try to get him as a 3-4 WAR pitcher than treat him like an ace.

vCash
    ABTY= Dream killer

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast