Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Cycling vs Running?

Hey all. I usually post on the Oakland Raiders forum.

I had a question: I am 39 years old and out of shape. I used to be a pretty good athelete and stayed trim when I was in the military. I got older, lazier and like to eat, as a consequence I am about 40 lbs heavier than I should be. I started mountain biking 12 miles/day and its something I think I can stick with; how does it compare to running in terms of staying in shape? I am thinking about incorporating P90X daily after I get my routine down.

I realize at my age diet is as important as exercise and have started a gluton free-low carb regime.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

vCash
    Sorry, just read the forum rules.
    I am 39
    5' 11"
    235 lbs
    Terrible shape, by product of a poor diet and stressful job. I walk some, that's about it.
    Used to be a pretty good tennis player, ran every morning in the military, basically been struggling with motivation since I turned 32.
    Don't smoke or drink aside from an occasional cigar.
    I have a mountain bike, heavy bag in my garage, chin up bar and a few dumb-bells, purchased P90X and 90 days of Insanity (wife is a gym rat) in great shape...

My wife goes to the gym, I have a membership if I want to activate it. I just don't like having to go somewhere to workout, would rather do it out of my own home.

Seriously need to make some life changes or I could very well be looking at diabetes by the time I hit my mid 40's.

vCash
    Like you already said, losing weight is almost completely diet. If you eat a bad diet, it doesn't matter how much you workout, you won't lose weight.

It kind of depends. lately, I've preferred biking because I'm getting a little bit of tendinitis in my knee's and it's a lot easier on them than running. I've also done a fair amount of walking lately too.

vCash
    Cycling for sure. Either will get your heart rate up and activate your legs but cycling will not put that stress on your knees that you should avoid at 39

vCash
    I think running is more efficient for melting that fat, but like people said, at your age and weight I'd say cycling is the thing to do. Which do you enjoy more?
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    I recently have bought a TREK bike (AWESOME BIKE) and have been cycling everywhere. So much better. Dont have to wore about shin splints or tweaking your ankle or knee. My diet still kind of sucks but the pounds have been falling off. My body adapted quick I was biking maybe 2-5 miles at the start now I'm probably at like 20-30 miles per day in 1-2 weeks. I have used my car maybe once in the last 2 weeks. Biking everywhere. It's addicting especially when you have a good bike. I had a heavy mountain bike and it sucked for the city.

vCash
    Diet....diet...diet. Just trying to drive home the point friend. You are what you eat, you must change your complete lifestyle of eating.

I love do what you enjoy most. The best chance of you staying focused. Don't overset goals. Say, " from now on im eating healthier and doing some workouts. " Don't over-sale yourself. Don't say, " im doing 6 days a week of workouts. " when you only have the ability/ time/ effort for 3 days a week.

Good luck and stay healthy

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    Both are good exercise to cut off fat and it also help to get fit body, But I am doing only running because I want lose only fat from tummy and Cycling help to lose fat from thigh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I think running is more efficient for melting that fat, but like people said, at your age and weight I'd say cycling is the thing to do. Which do you enjoy more?
    he's 39 not 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    both are best for making a fit healthy body

vCash
    Cycling. Working your legs that much will burn a ton of calories and put considerably less stress on the body. I know a former professional ironman who cannot run anymore because his knees and shins are shot. Cycling won't just target your legs either, fat will burn from everywhere as long as you are consistent with the exercise and your diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Kill: Graham Harrell- he's the worst thing I've ever seen... God awful. When you're watching a game thinking "why are they letting a high school cancer patient play a preseason game for make a wish foundation, he could get hurt." Then realize he's a professional, he deserves to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walls Era View Post
    Don't talk about proper writing if you're going to use Ellipsis like an *** clown.

vCash
    Cycling and running both are perfect exercises for legs. With cycling and running we can get fitness easily and can make legs,bones and muscles strong and healthy. Both are my favorite exercises.
    Last edited by AllenSmith; 01-11-2014 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    Walking

vCash
    being 39 you might as well be dead. Luckily i am only 36. seriously just keep working

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Running is the best exercise. It can be done in many forms like jogging, sprinting and long and faster runs. Running gets the blood circulation going in the whole body. It helps our legs get more and more strength. It is proved that the people who jog or run everyday stay more fit than others who don't. The morning runs make us feel fresh and fit for the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast