Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post breakup workout plan

So I've read a lot of threads in this section and you guys seem like a knowledgeable bunch so here goes...

My g/f of 4 years recently left me and although it sucks, it has given me 100% motivation to get back in the shape I was when I was 18-19 and playing baseball/hockey.

Im 28 years old. 5-11" 205lbs.

My target and ideal weight with cardio and lifting is 185-190. I got down to 190 a few years ago, but i was running 20-25 miles a week and not a whole lot of weight training. This time around I'd rather be a little more powerful of a 185-190 rather than a cardio 190 (if that makes sense).

Since the breakup (2 weeks ago) ive been coming home from work and running 2 miles, 4 times a week along with a little bit of weight training. The problem I'm having is once i run, my lifting suffers significantly. Obviously im just starting out again and shouldnt expect to be killing it, but its rather frustrating to not be able to get a really solid workout in for the full 4 (sometimes 5) days a week.

My questions are:

1) I've always been told to do cardio first, then lift, but I feel like I'd be better the other way around? Or should I stick to what im doing.

2) Are there any solid supplements I should look at? I dont want any weight loss pills or anything along those lines. Protein is something I will def be adding, but I'd like to add something else to help me along.

Any advice or tips would be extremely helpful. I'm trying to work into this slowly so I dont burn myself out, but I'm pretty geared up to do this so I find myself trying to do too much and it costs me on the next days workout. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited by Phillysports101; 10-24-2012 at 10:02 AM.

vCash
    Well first off, Im sorry to hear about the breakup. 4 years is a long time. Im not really too knowledgeable on cardio since i dont really do it. If i do cardio i do it after i lift. But again Im more into weight training than cardio since Ive never tried to lose weight
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    I always did cardio after weight lifting, that's just me. Others would be more knowledgeable on what works best

If you are wanting a smaller weight loss helper that isn't a fat burner. Drink Coffee, and take CLA. Doesn't work as fast or as hard as fat burners but it's more in line with what you say you want.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    I'd recommend doing 10min of light cardio to warm up before you lift, anything over that and you may have trouble finding enough energy to finish your lift.

Depending on time, after my weight training I typically do 30min of cardio to finish off.

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    After your weight lifting, do some steady pace cardio for 15-30 mins. Nothing too intense, a speed where you can still hold a conversation. Any strenuous cardio after weightlifting will hurt your muscle gains IMO.

vCash
    I think I'm just having trouble putting everything together in the last couple years. I hate having set plans. Some days I feel like going for a long run. Other days I feel like lifting and mixing in sprints on the treadmill. I usually hit all my target areas by the end of the week, but I'm wondering if my mixing of lifting, cardio, high intensity cardio, etc is keeping me from seeing max gains.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillysports101 View Post
    I think I'm just having trouble putting everything together in the last couple years. I hate having set plans. Some days I feel like going for a long run. Other days I feel like lifting and mixing in sprints on the treadmill. I usually hit all my target areas by the end of the week, but I'm wondering if my mixing of lifting, cardio, high intensity cardio, etc is keeping me from seeing max gains.
    yes it is... At least it would for me.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillysports101 View Post

My questions are:

1) I've always been told to do cardio first, then lift, but I feel like I'd be better the other way around? Or should I stick to what im doing.

If you do a light 5-10 minute jog or bike for a warm up, thats fine. If you are sweating and huffing and puffing, your cardio is going to effect your lifting. Do it after training or on your off days

2) Are there any solid supplements I should look at? I dont want any weight loss pills or anything along those lines. Protein is something I will def be adding, but I'd like to add something else to help me along.

The only supplements I'd recommend are protein powders, creatine, and pre-workout energy powders.

Any advice or tips would be extremely helpful. I'm trying to work into this slowly so I dont burn myself out, but I'm pretty geared up to do this so I find myself trying to do too much and it costs me on the next days workout. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Read over this thread http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...hlight=routine

vCash
    I prefer cardio after I lift because if I do it before, then I just used a lot of energy that could have been used for weight lifting. lift heavy, and then when you are out of energy, do some cardio.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    Any reason in particular you recommend pre-workouts?

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    I enjoy cardio more than weight lifting, but I think that once you build enough stamina doing cardio you'll be fine doing weight training and experiencing gains.

My bench has gone up ~20% since June, and I typically do 40+ minutes of cardio before hitting the weights. I'm 6'2, 185 though. Do whatever you're comfortable with, and your body will adjust to it.

www.DailyStache.net You Gotta Believe
    R.I.P UAPeople

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by levignjw View Post
    Any reason in particular you recommend pre-workouts?
    While they certainly aren't necessary, they give a huge energy and mental boost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    That's a lot of great info. I appreciate it.

vCash
    Never jack off before a workout

Edit: Even you have the urge to and you cant get that hot chick/mama off your mind and you plan on going to the gym, just fight that urge and always remember you can jack off when you get home Hope this helps
    Last edited by Thumper 88; 10-26-2012 at 01:51 PM.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Never jack off before a workout
    this, x100000000.

Unless you're getting jacked off, I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast