Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Thumbs up Rondo Supporters Unite: Awesome article by Jackie Mac

Just a few excerpts:
    For all his brillance, three adjectives have muddied Rondo's image: stonefaced, stubborn, moody.

"Like Bird, right?" Rondo offered. "Danny [Ainge] told me Larry was the same way.''

That is an accurate assessment. Bird also proved to be aloof and ornery in the heat of competition. No wonder when the Celtics briefly courted Chris Paul with Rondo as trade bait that Larry Legend was among those keenly interested in acquiring him.
    "Two years ago I think they wanted him to be one thing," Paul Pierce said. "But he was still learning. They were saying, 'It's Rondo's team,' but he wasn't to the point where he was that constant presence.

"They put him in a role he wasn't ready for yet."

Or, perhaps, was he thrust into a role that some of his more celebrated teammates weren't quite ready to relinquish? The former Big Three boasted a collective resume steeped in excellence. Rondo, it seemed, had to wait his turn.
    Yet his younger counterparts claim Rondo has been the glue to the locker room for years. Avery Bradley said it was Rondo, not the seasoned veterans, who checked on him regularly during his rookie season to make sure he was eating right, had the transportation he needed or had someone to talk to when he was feeling lonely or overwhelmed.
    "He took so many huge strides last year, he had to be the leader," Pierce said. "KG and I aren't going to be here much longer, so it's time for him to have a real voice, especially with Ray [Allen] gone.''
    The Rondo supporters are really going to enjoy reading this one, it's very well written, and I encourage you all to read it.

Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/...celtics-leader

I honestly WANT to like him. I really hope this year is different in terms of his personality.

vCash
    Finally, the secret to NBA physique: Teddy Grahams and Capri Sun

vCash
    happy to read this. Except for his game, I haven't heard much positive about him, and now all of a sudden he's actually a great locker room pressence...
    The thing we’re going to miss most about Dwight is his farting ability.
    - Glen Davis
    Biyombo told me, "This is my house!" I told him, "You have 7 wins, It’s everybody’s house..."
    - Rudy Gay
    I thought LeBron James was just going to be another addition to help me score
    - Ricky Davis

vCash
    Interesting take that Ray had the ear of local reporters - we'll wait and see if Rondo's persona changes.

A couple other thoughts:

I didn't realize that NBA preseason games included divisional opponents? Maybe its always been this way but I'm not a big fan of it. Similarly, I find it hard to fathom that the Celtics just lost to Brooklyn's 'B' Team!

REC: WHOEVER ADOPTED ME IS AN IDIOT

TDs: I FORGOT HOW TO PLAY FOOTBALL AND I SUCK

vCash
    1) The preseason is between division opponents to cut down traveling in the preseason.

2) The outcome of preseason games means nothing.

3) Rondo praise ...

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    It's hard to be the nice guy and have fire in the belly. Pierce has grown into being able to be a great guy in the community and a smiling frontman for the organization while being a ruthless competitor. Rondo constantly does charity and appearances and is great in the community. He also has the same fire the Captain does. He just needs to learn that playing ball in terms of PR will help his image leaps and bounds. Like it or not, he is our franchise player.

2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    It's hard to be the nice guy and have fire in the belly. Pierce has grown into being able to be a great guy in the community and a smiling frontman for the organization while being a ruthless competitor. Rondo constantly does charity and appearances and is great in the community. He also has the same fire the Captain does. He just needs to learn that playing ball in terms of PR will help his image leaps and bounds. Like it or not, he is our franchise player (when he proves it).
    Corrected.

I'm torn by the piece. Jackie is an acquaintance, and her stuff is usually excellent....

We'll see. Hope he does pull it off, because after this year he is the franchise player.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Corrected.

I'm torn by the piece. Jackie is an acquaintance, and her stuff is usually excellent....

We'll see. Hope he does pull it off, because after this year he is the franchise player.

Quote Originally Posted by xk4 View Post
    Finally, the secret to NBA physique: Teddy Grahams and Capri Sun
    Well that settles it... My 4yr old is on his way to the NBA...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Of course in rebuttal:

Rondo did break film equipment

Rondo was on the trading block several times

Rondo did pitch the 14 games after the Perk deal

Do you try and deal such a stellar pillar of your team - unless he wasn't always thus?

Sounds a lot like the hopeful rehabilitation of a scofflaw than the Rondo I've been reading about/watching. Perhaps he's grown up and will do justice to the crown worn by Bird, Havilcek, Pierce, and KG well. I always hoped so, I even had him as a HOF to be in 2009-2010. It's his poor behavior since, and mixed on the court results being touted as the 2nd coming here that got me going on him. Anyone that thinks he's ever been the #1 PG in the NBA should get a reality test. Seriously.

Also, just one final pest point: when is the last time a pass first PG lead a team to the NBA title? Assuming you accept Magic in that role - 1985. Rondo is no Magic - in case anyone was in doubt.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Also, just one final pest point: when is the last time a pass first PG lead a team to the NBA title? Assuming you accept Magic in that role - 1985. Rondo is no Magic - in case anyone was in doubt.
    As a pass first point guard John Stockton led the Jazz to 2 consecutive NBA finals obviously losing to MJ both times... But nonetheless a pass first guard led his team to an NBA finals... He did have Malone, but you take Stockton out of the equation and the Jazz aren't in the finals...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    As a pass first point guard John Stockton led the Jazz to 2 consecutive NBA finals obviously losing to MJ both times... But nonetheless a pass first guard led his team to an NBA finals... He did have Malone, but you take Stockton out of the equation and the Jazz aren't in the finals...
    Stockton was not the best player on those teams. I meant led as in the best player on the team. #2 doesn't count, and both years Malone was better. Although Stockton was easily better then Rondo, although those teams were pretty thin after that.

You take the PG from Finals teams that won, at least 40% of them lose.

vCash
    You already mentioned the best pass first point guard (Magic) who led their team to the chip... There have been no best pass point guards (also scoring PG)since, who led there team to the chip... IMO it's an irrelevant point... Rondo (IMO) has been the best pass first PG to be in a finals since Stockton...

Reggie Lewis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    You already mentioned the best pass first point guard (Magic) who led their team to the chip... There have been no best pass point guards (also scoring PG)since, who led there team to the chip... IMO it's an irrelevant point... Rondo (IMO) has been the best pass first PG to be in a finals since Stockton...
    Let's clear this up.

When was the last time a pass first PG led (meaning the best player on the team) a team to the Championship.

Rondo was not near the best player in '08 on the Celts (he wasn't even 4th best) so he hasn't done it either.

So, the point is, if the Celts get to the Finals, and Rondo is the best player on the team, it's highly unlikely we win if we go by that history.

vCash
    Any team that wins a championship needs a quality point... guard or otherwise. What's really being said here is a team needs a player or more precisely playerS that make those around them better.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 10-22-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    They keep saying Rondo is the leader. But Pierce is still the captain as far as I know, and he's the still the best player on the team in my opinion

Not to derail the debate here...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast