Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Five Biggest Hits of 2012

For a team whose season will be defined by failures with runners in scoring position, the Yankees sure did seem to have a lot of enormous hits along the way. Especially late in the season too — September and October featured all sorts of memorable hits that injected new life into a team that was fighting tooth and nail for the division title down the stretch.

With some help from win probability added, or WPA, we’re going to take a look at New York’s five biggest hits of this season. If you’re not familiar with WPA, I highly recommend Joe’s primer. Long story short, it tells you how much an event — a hit, strikeout, walk, error, anything in baseball — increases or decreases a team’s chances of winning using historical data. For example, if the Yankees have a 50% chance of winning when I step to the plate and hit a walk-off homer (thus giving them a 100% chance of winning), I get credit for the +50% (0r +0.50 WPA) while the pitcher gets charged with +50% (-0.50 WPA). Simple enough, right?

Anyway, WPA isn’t a predictive stat and it doesn’t have a ton of analytical value. It lacks context like the quality of the pitcher and hitter, the impact of the game in the standings, stuff like that. It is useful for this kind of exercise though, a fun look back at some of the biggest hits of the season. You won’t be surprised to see that one player is featured prominently in this post.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2012/10/the...-season-78084/

List is provided in the link above.

vCash
    4 of 5 biggest hits came from a bench player. Who I will admit I wanted him gone during spring training . But I'm glad they kept him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    4 of 5 biggest hits came from a bench player. Who I will admit I wanted him gone during spring training . But I'm glad they kept him.
    Truly amazing. Had quite the flare for the dramatic.

vCash
    Raul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jack City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he comes back cheap and is willing to be a bench player I hope the Yankees look to resign him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDB90 View Post
    Raul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jack City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he comes back cheap and is willing to be a bench player I hope the Yankees look to resign him.
    Just have to hope it doesn't turn into another Andruw Jones situation. I don't think it would though.

vCash
    aka, raul ibanezs season
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Just have to hope it doesn't turn into another Andruw Jones situation. I don't think it would though.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    aka, raul ibanezs season
    This.