Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Open Tray problem on Xbox

Anyone else have this problem? You have to wait 15-20 minutes at times, keep opening and closing the disk drive and it will eventually start working. My warranty ran out on my 5 year old Xbox a while ago, and I really don't want to spend the extra money fixing it unless it entirely doesn't work. Does anyone have a fix that I don't have to operate on my Xbox or send it in?

vCash
    is your game cd scratched?

vCash
    At first I thought you were having a problem actually opening the tray. I had the same issue where you put the game in and it doesn't read the disc. Then you keep opening and closing the tray and eventually it starts to read it.

1. Your lens is dirty. The problem is you would have to open and close the tray to get a lens cleaner to work.

2. Your disk drive/reader is shot. This is the more likely scenario and was the problem with mine. This is a common problem in the non slim models. Either you send it in to Microsoft or you could look around locally to see if someone fixes them

Microsoft charges something like 100 bucks to fix every thing I believe. However that does include shipping if that helps. They send you a pre paid box so you can send them the system. Then in a week or two they send you the system back. You also get a month of Xbox Live Gold as an inconvenience fee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    is your game cd scratched?
    No it does it for every game

Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    At first I thought you were having a problem actually opening the tray. I had the same issue where you put the game in and it doesn't read the disc. Then you keep opening and closing the tray and eventually it starts to read it.

1. Your lens is dirty. The problem is you would have to open and close the tray to get a lens cleaner to work.

2. Your disk drive/reader is shot. This is the more likely scenario and was the problem with mine. This is a common problem in the non slim models. Either you send it in to Microsoft or you could look around locally to see if someone fixes them

Microsoft charges something like 100 bucks to fix every thing I believe. However that does include shipping if that helps. They send you a pre paid box so you can send them the system. Then in a week or two they send you the system back. You also get a month of Xbox Live Gold as an inconvenience fee.
    Thanks, I guess I'll have to deal with it or just eventually get a new Xbox.

vCash
    Used to happen to me all the time... I just ejected and pushed the disk drive back in with a little force and it worked fine after that...

It makes a sound and resets the 'eye'

vCash
    bull **** happens to my old xbox. eventually got so sick of it that i got the newer xbox and gave the piece of crap one to my brother.

vCash
    I had to deal with it for about 2 months until it got worse and worse, sometimes I would be opening and closing the tray for over an hour until it would finally read the disc. That **** got beat with a ****ing hammer.

vCash
    If you slightly tap the top of the xbox with your controller while you close the tray it will work. Its pretty annoying

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Buy a slim

vCash
    If your warranty is outdated...You might as well try to fix it yourself before buying or sending it in for repair. Same thing happened to my Xbox, couldn't even play a brand new game I bought....

Its simple the lens that reads the disk is basically dirty. Only thing you have to do is take your Xbox apart(tons of Youtube tutorials) and clean & dust out of your xbox, and dab a little rubbing alcohol on your lens.

Saved me about $300