Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Is NFL Breast Cancer Month a Scam?

Interesting read. I can't say I would be surprised.

Have you noticed that during the month of October, the NFL suddenly becomes intensely concerned with making sure you're aware of breast cancer? Pink jerseys! Huge *** Pink Ribbons at midfield! Pink mother****ing cleats! Fans interested in aware-ing on their own can even click on over to the NFL's store and purchase ugly pink crap of their own under the assumption that their good intentions will actually contribute to the fight against cancer. Well, I hate to burst your Pepto Bismo Pink bubble, wearers of dangly earrings that contain both ribbons and tiny footballs, but you've been had the NFL's Breast Cancer Awareness Month campaign does raise itsy bitsy amounts of money for the fight against cancer, but the amount of money it raises pales in comparison to the amount of money it raises for billionaire NFL owners.
    The NFL claims that its pink philanthropy efforts "support the fight against breast cancer" by "promoting awareness" and providing funds to the American Cancer Society. But what they're mostly promoting is, uh, buying NFL gear, the profits from which are overwhelmingly pocketed by the NFL.

According to Business Insider, the NFL's October Breast Cancer Awareness Month fundraising effort is multi-pronged. There's the on-field onslaught of pink (AWARENESS), the off-field auction of autographed or otherwise noteworthy NFL paraphernalia (MONEY FOR THE CURE!), and the part of the NFL store that entices shoppers to purchase officially licensed NFL breast cancer gear, a portion of which goes to FINDING A CURE. According to the League, 100% of the proceeds from the specialty auction go to the American Cancer Society, but the total percentage of purchases of officially licensed gear that actually goes to FINDING A CURE is actually kind of pathetic 5%. If you want to look at this cynically, in a way, the on-field wearin' o' the pink serves as an ad to direct consumers to purchase pink fan items.

BUT WAIT, you might say, AT LEAST THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING. And 5% is still something! Well, kind of. As BI pointed out, if NFL products are sold at a 100% markup and only 5% of sale proceeds go to the American Cancer Society, then the NFL is pocketing 90% of sales of Breast Cancer Awareness products, many of which would not be purchased if they didn't come with a promise that consumers were "helping." And, more perspective: while the American Cancer Society isn't, say, Komen, they still don't use 100% of the money they receive to "fight" breast cancer. Only 70% of donations taken in by the organization go toward cancer research. So, if you spend $10 on pink stink from the NFL, only about 35 cents is going to finding a cure for breast cancer. And $4.50 goes right back to the NFL, where I like to imagine that it's spent on gas for a Lake Minnetonka pleasure cruise. For the cure.

But what about awareness?! Surely the NFL is helping keep people aware and alert and vigilant that at any moment, breast cancer could be lurking around a corner in a dark alley waiting with a hot pink switchblade to steal your purse and boobs. The thing about awareness is that it's all but impossible to quantify and everyone knows about breast cancer. If you asked 100 people if they're aware that breast cancer is a thing and that it's almost impossible to predict and most often affects women, I'd bet that most of them would nod before slowly backing away from you. Breast cancer awareness is so ubiquitous that if deadly diseases attended the same high school, breast cancer would probably be voted prom queen. The "awareness" that comes from the NFL's sales of pink branded items doesn't justify the extent to which the league is taking advantage of consumers' good intentions to pad their wallets. Even if no NFL player ever touched another pink thing again, Americans would go right on being aware of the disease. Unless the Buffalo Jills or New Orleans Saintsations cheerleaders are holding up signs that show women how to give themselves breast self-exams or tickets come with 5 page printouts of places low income women can obtain breast health screening for low or no cost, the type of awareness the NFL is providing is useless, vague garbage.

Since the program's inception four years ago, the NFL has raised $3 million for breast cancer. In 2009, the League made $8.5 billion. Last year, they made $9.5 billion. Commissioner Roger Goodell has set a revenue goal of $25 billion per year by the year 2027. A million per year out of between $8.5 and $9.5 billion in revenues? Pardon me while I don't slobber all over the NFL's pink-drenched marketing campaign.

Want to cure breast cancer? Give directly to an organization that cures breast cancer, or to an advocacy group that seeks actual cures, not marketing and corporate profits. Besides, wearing those horrid pink NFL breast cancer rain boots actually causes cancer. Of the eyes.
    http://jezebel.com/pinkwashing/

Quote Originally Posted by jakedajewler View Post
    I don't know who any punters are, that's when i go take a piss

vCash
    It doesn't surprise me at all. The NFL is the most money hungry league the world has ever seen and will ever see. Money money money.

vCash
    Wow. If this article is true that's just disgusting.

NYK
    NYY
    STJ
    BIG D
    NYR
    JUVE

vCash
    Maybe the writer of the article should give all the proceeds from the article to breast cancer. It always amazes me how some complain about charitable giving as if they have some complete design on how it should be done. The thing is, the group that is targeted by the NFL would never give to that charity without that effort. It is dollars that would not be donated at all.
    Last edited by subroc; 10-23-2012 at 04:27 AM.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Maybe the writer of the article should give all the proceeds from the article to breast cancer. It always amazes me how some complain about charitable giving as if they have some complete design on how it should be done.
    Well if you're going to advertise Breast Cancer Awareness month like the NFL does you'd think more than 5 percent of the proceeds would go to charitable donations..

vCash
    How much does a 30 second advertising spot cost for a product at an NFL game? A 30 second spot for Sunday Night Football cost $545,000! I expect the early games might be about 1/2 that (I couldn't find the info). That is an in-kind gift 15 times (games) a week for 4 weeks (the month long program). For anyone to dismiss this is maddening. Why would you think it should be more? Maybe they should cancel the program altogether because some writer isn't appreciative enough. He sounds like the Europeans that complained when the United States responded to the tsunami in the Indian ocean. We were the only nation capable of showing up with the kind of impact that we did. It wasn't enough for the Europeans. Someone else's giving isn't enough for the writer. Spare me the unrealistic expectation of a third rate writer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    How much does a 30 second advertising spot cost for a product at an NFL game? A 30 second spot for Sunday Night Football cost $545,000! I expect the early games might be about 1/2 that (I couldn't find the info). That is an in-kind gift 15 times (games) a week for 4 weeks (the month long program). For anyone to dismiss this is maddening. Why would you think it should be more? Maybe they should cancel the program altogether because some writer isn't appreciative enough. He sounds like the Europeans that complained when the United States responded to the tsunami in the Indian ocean. We were the only nation capable of showing up with the kind of impact that we did. It wasn't enough for the Europeans. Someone else's giving isn't enough for the writer. Spare me the unrealistic expectation of a third rate writer.
    I get what you're saying and I completely agree that those that aren't giving have no right to criticize those that are for not giving enough, however, I think there is another issue here you failed to consider.

It is one thing to give, it is another thing to have the illusion of giving solely as a marketing tool to drive up revenue. The writer is alleging that this was not a "hey, here's a good idea to help out the breast cancer fight" but rather a "hey, I just found an awesome way to make tons of money, say it's for breast cancer research but really keep most of it to yourself" moment.

I guess the difference is in the intent, not the actual result. Does anyone really think the NFL had good intentions given the incredible revenue stream they created? Or put another way, if this were making the NFL $0 but costing them $0 as well, I bet the NFL doesn't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Wouldnt be surprised.

KNICKS
    GIANTS
    RANGERS
    YANKS

vCash
    I would go on to say, it is OK with me if the NFL makes some money on this too.

I just want to add one more thing...think Girl Scout Cookies!
    Last edited by subroc; 10-23-2012 at 01:22 PM.

vCash
    Wow is all of that true? The only surprise to me is that the NBA didn't think of it first. The NBA is king at scamming, rigging, and tainting in every way possible.

vCash
    Not sure what's more pathetic. The nfl donation hoax, or the fact that people like subroc see nothing wrong with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Not sure what's more pathetic. The nfl donation hoax, or the fact that people like subroc see nothing wrong with it.
    Call me the more pathetic one if it makes you feel good. After all, this is the internet and none of this is real.

That said, I am more shocked at those that believe they have any standing to even comment or criticize the level or manner of others charitable giving. I expect they are from the same group that believes in the concept of redistribution of wealth.

vCash
    The whole cancer profit machine is a hoax. Quit eating genetically modified food and your cells won't become modified. Quit sucking down genetically modified high fructose corn syrup which is proven to increase cancer cell growth. Want to know why there is no cure for cancer in the mainstream? Because it is BIG BUSINESS.

There are plenty of natural cures for cancer, but you won't hear about that in the mainstream. Max Gerson cured 48/50 patients who had cancer with just fruit and vegetable
    juicing and a few other things.

I stopped donating to cancer research a couple years ago realizing that they don't want to cure you, they want to treat you and make more money.

DIET IS KEY. QUIT BEING A FATA$$, EXERCISE, EAT REAL FOOD.

A small town called nunya god damn bidness
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EO1984 View Post
    The whole cancer profit machine is a hoax. Quit eating genetically modified food and your cells won't become modified. Quit sucking down genetically modified high fructose corn syrup which is proven to increase cancer cell growth. Want to know why there is no cure for cancer in the mainstream? Because it is BIG BUSINESS.

There are plenty of natural cures for cancer, but you won't hear about that in the mainstream. Max Gerson cured 48/50 patients who had cancer with just fruit and vegetable

I stopped donating to cancer research a couple years ago realizing that they don't want to cure you, they want to treat you and make more money.

This is problley the best/honest/insightful post ever on PSD. Unfortunatly, EO, few will listen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EO1984 View Post

Can I see some proof for said claims, because scientifically and medically saying eating healthy can cure cancer is not only wrong it's dangerous.

Eating healthy and leading a healthy life is an excellent way to prevent cancer, but once you have cancer simply eating whole grains isn't going to cure it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast