Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Hybrid View

vCash

1988 seems so long ago

Here I am watching the last few out of the NLCS and it just kind of dawned on me that the Giants are now making their 4th trip to the WS since our last trip to the WS in 88.

I started thinking that anybody who is 24 years old or younger, has never seen the Dodgers in the WS.

I then started thinking about everything baseball since 1988, and it just made me realize how long ago (as a suffering Dodger fan) 1988 seems to me.

-Every NL team except Cubbies, Milwaukee, Mont/Wash, Pitts and us have been to WS since 88.
    -Every team in baseball except above mentioned, Seattle, Balt and KC have been to WS since 88
    -Every NL West team has been to WS (Az, SF both winning) have been to WS since 1988
    -Every MLB team in California has been to WS but us since 88
    -Teams in our town, Angels, Lakers, Kings, Ducks, UCLA hoops, SC Football, Galaxy, even the Sparks have all won titles/championships since 1988
    -Dodgers have had 7 mgrs since 1988
    -Dee and Clayton were both born in 1988
    -All 4 expansion teams (Colorado, TBay, Az, Florida) have been to WS, and Marlins has won twice since 1988
    -It seems like the great HR chase of 98 with Sosa and McGwire was years ago, but it was actually 10 years AFTER 1988
    -Reagan was still in office
    -Only Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium (since re-modeled), Wrigley, Fenway, Kauffman in KC and Oakland Stadums are still in existence since 1988

....the list can go on and on...but when I look at things in baseball years, it seems like forever since we have celebrated the Dodgers in the Fall Classic

vCash
    In 1988 they were right behind the Yankees in the most World Series championships and appearances, now the Cardinals are 2nd in championships and the Giants are second in appearances. I love my Dodgers, but they are turning into the Cubs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlueMike View Post
    Here I am watching the last few out of the NLCS and it just kind of dawned on me that the Giants are now making their 4th trip to the WS since our last trip to the WS in 88.

I started thinking that anybody who is 24 years old or younger, has never seen the Dodgers in the WS.

I then started thinking about everything baseball since 1988, and it just made me realize how long ago (as a suffering Dodger fan) 1988 seems to me.

-Every NL team except Cubbies, Milwaukee, Mont/Wash, Pitts and us have been to WS since 88.
    -Every team in baseball except above mentioned, Seattle, Balt and KC have been to WS since 88
    -Every NL West team has been to WS (Az, SF both winning) have been to WS since 1988
    -Every MLB team in California has been to WS but us since 88
    -Teams in our town, Angels, Lakers, Kings, Ducks, UCLA hoops, SC Football, Galaxy, even the Sparks have all won titles/championships since 1988
    -Dodgers have had 7 mgrs since 1988
    -Dee and Clayton were both born in 1988
    -All 4 expansion teams (Colorado, TBay, Az, Florida) have been to WS, and Marlins has won twice since 1988
    -It seems like the great HR chase of 98 with Sosa and McGwire was years ago, but it was actually 10 years AFTER 1988
    -Reagan was still in office
    -Only Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium (since re-modeled), Wrigley, Fenway, Kauffman in KC and Oakland Stadums are still in existence since 1988

....the list can go on and on...but when I look at things in baseball years, it seems like forever since we have celebrated the Dodgers in the Fall Classic
    That includes the old NL West teams like the Astros, Reds, and Braves.

I was only 5 years old in 1988, so I was too young to care about baseball. I didn't start watching until 1991 when we went neck-to-neck against the Braves for the NL West title.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid

vCash
    Damn, this thread makes me feel old. It also reminds me how bad the Dodger's have sucked since 1988.

We really haven't even been close to being in a WS since then, let alone winning one.

Thanks to Mannyroid, we had close to some hope...but really weren't close. since the end of the world is in a couple months, looks like you young fans are S.O.L.
    5>2

vCash
    Very true Dave.

I was fairly young too (10 years older than you) but I remember when the Dodgers had a great NL West rivalry with the Reds in the 70's, then the Astros in the 80's when they got better, then the Braves in the 90's when they started winning......2 divisions in each league, division winners squared off in LCS then on to WS.

On a side note, the Mets host the ASG next season, so the Dodgers will then become the team with the longest active hosting drought, not counting Marlins and Rays who came in to existence after 1980, the last year we hosted the ASG.

vCash

1988 seems so long ago

I was sitting on the stairs of my parents house when Gibby crushed it. Same spit watching Hershiser pitch.

High school kid watching history...awesome

A Real American HERO !!!

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Dodgers rule.

vCash
    Thinking about just some general sports related things since 1988, off the top of my head:

Kobe was 10, LeBron was not even 4
    Ducks were not even in existence
    Gretzky had just been traded to Kings 2 months earlier
    Magic was still 3 years away from announcing his HIV
    Kareem was still playing
    The Galaxy came in to existence 8 years later
    5 US Presidents
    Internet? What is the internet?

.....and we all enjoyed the games just as much on our little 24 inch tv's !

vCash
    It's weird how generational differences can give a different impression of teams. I am 27 years old, so obviously the Dodgers have won it in my lifetime. However, since they haven't won a pennant since '88, growing up in the Bay Area I always thought the Giants were the better team, until I learned more about the history of baseball and realized how much of a powerhouse the Dodgers were for the first half of their time in LA.

Anyway, I expect the drought the Dodgers have been in to go away within the next five years. If they don't make a WS appearance in that period, I would be pretty surprised.

vCash
    I feel like a cub fan. That is depressing Don't think that group was as talented as the group we have now, but that team did what it had to do to win and hershiser was a stud