Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The more i think about it, the more I like the idea of Bourne.

very hypothetical of course... but what trade value does Jay have?

vCash
    Don't like the idea of trading Jay at all with him being cheap, productive and improving every year and Bournes money but I think I'd say Jays value you would be slightly less than what we got for Rasmus? Rasmus was traded almost completely on potential so you have to figure someone would give the same for Jay when he has shown he's a better player in all phases than Rasmus except power.

I honestly think Jay could be the future CF here for the next 7-8 years. He only hit 4 this year but he had 10 last year. I think Jay could be a 10-15 home run guy on good years.
    Last edited by Skippy15; 10-29-2012 at 04:43 PM.

vCash
    I realize Jay is young and productive and I would only trade him for someone also young/cheap/productive.

Something like Jay and adams for Andrus, Jay for Yunel Escobar straight up, Jay plus a few pitching specs for MAYBE Price, but probably Shields or Hellickson.

I just think Jay has pretty much hit his ceiling. Bourne is superior in most aspects compared to Jay, except money, which we have plenty of.

Before everyone ridicules me.... I am fine with Jay in CF. Bourne is a pipe dream. I just like the idea of him with the birds on the bat. If Jay could net us something good, i would do it while his value is this high

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    anyone got a current payroll projection including estimated arb numbers?
    Our budget for next season is about 115
    Our signing bonus budget is about 7.5 (includes IFA)

17 Holliday
    13 Beltran
    12 Wainwright
    12.5 Carpenter
    14.2 Molina
    8.75 Westbrook
    7.5 Furcal
    5.875 Garcia
    1.5 Skip
    .500 Jay
    .500 Salas
    .500 Craig
    .500 Descalso
    .500 Lynn
    .500 Cruz
    .500 Carpenter
    .500 Robinson
    .500 Kelly
    .500 Rosenthall
    .500 Miller
    (arb estimates by mlbtraderumors below)
    2.6 Freese
    1.3 Boggs
    .900 Scrabble
    4.7 Motte
    3.2 Mujica

McClellan will be non-tendered (but 2.4)

We need a middle infielder that can hit right handed, and we need a lefty reliever (they could opt to rely on Kozma/Jackson and Browning/Freeman at each though if they feel they need to)

I have 110,525,000

So anywhere between 108-112 is a safe bet.

So about 3-7 million can be spent, and we need two pieces, both are there for depth. You could also add an incentive laden minor league contract to some veterans (like a Chris Young pitcher, or a Grady Sizemore outfielder) that if they make it, then they can get paid X amount (which I wouldn't mind, but it's unlikely).

So 3-7 million can be spent. A Jhonny Peralta or Sean Burnett would eat that entire amount individually, and would require we stay in house at the other position.

It's our only positions of needs at the moment.

This is why this is going to be a quiet off-season.

The only thing that could make it loud is if Matt Adams or someone like Adams gets traded, or if they decide to try to lock up Wainwright this off-season.

vCash
    Damn, thought we had a bit more than that

I guess Carp and Molina's salary went up a few mil each

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    I realize Jay is young and productive and I would only trade him for someone also young/cheap/productive.

Something like Jay and adams for Andrus, Jay for Yunel Escobar straight up, Jay plus a few pitching specs for MAYBE Price, but probably Shields or Hellickson.

I just think Jay has pretty much hit his ceiling. Bourne is superior in most aspects compared to Jay, except money, which we have plenty of.

Before everyone ridicules me.... I am fine with Jay in CF. Bourne is a pipe dream. I just like the idea of him with the birds on the bat. If Jay could net us something good, i would do it while his value is this high

Do not give me Escobar.

And Jay is too productive for his age to be traded, and we don't have a future CFer really that is poised to ever replace him. I think Jay is here to stay, at least the next 4 seasons.

We don't have the payroll to add Bourn (no E at the end of his name btw) and we have a cheaper version of him in Jay already.

I could see us trading Adams for someone like Nick Franklin of Seattle (obviously not straight up, Franklin has more value than Adams), but add in a Tyrell Jenkins and you are getting close.

They need a first base masher, we need a middle infielder, and Franklin could concievable play OD here or spend a year in Memphis if necessary (although he really is ready).

Seattle probably wouldn't take that deal, they really like Franklin, and while they have big league options at short, it's more likely that Franklin gets the starting job and Ryan becomes a bench utility player over there. But that is my pipe dream trade at the moment.

If Franklin is too much, maybe Brad Miller
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 10-29-2012 at 05:09 PM.

vCash
    haha i knew bourne looked funny.... no E.

anyway, ive just always had a hard-on for bourn. Jay is fine with me like I said. I was just curious if he could net us something good.

Adams def should be traded though.

vCash
    Yeah, we really just don't have a place for him. But it's hard to find a suitable match where someone needs someone like him.

He is 24, can only play first, and his bat isn't necessarily going to translate at the next level.

He is probably a safe bet for a .345 wOBA, 120 wRC+. And that's a little above average for the position, but he isn't great defensively, and again it's a position where you can buy that kind of player on the free agent market relatievely easily. Hard to think we could get much value out of him, but we can hope.

I would propose Adams and Jenkins for Franklin. If they take it, awesome. If they don't, see what it would take. They have a current shortstop, and another prospect at the same rating as Franklin a year behind (Brad Miller).

So it's possible. But Franklin is like the 16th best prospect in baseball, they don't move very easily. But Jenkins is about 90th, and Adams is about 120th. I'm sure we would have to give up more.

vCash
    I think the most likely thing to happen this off season is wainwright deal, which I think gets done.

Matt Adams needs to be traded but I think that happens next offseason.

Smartest thing we could do is trade Adams and more for a top level shortstop. We have absolutely no future there outside possibly Garcia but I don't see him as a possible star we might be able to acquire through Adams and more prospects

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Yeah, we really just don't have a place for him. But it's hard to find a suitable match where someone needs someone like him.

He is 24, can only play first, and his bat isn't necessarily going to translate at the next level.

He is probably a safe bet for a .345 wOBA, 120 wRC+. And that's a little above average for the position, but he isn't great defensively, and again it's a position where you can buy that kind of player on the free agent market relatievely easily. Hard to think we could get much value out of him, but we can hope.

I would propose Adams and Jenkins for Franklin. If they take it, awesome. If they don't, see what it would take. They have a current shortstop, and another prospect at the same rating as Franklin a year behind (Brad Miller).

So it's possible. But Franklin is like the 16th best prospect in baseball, they don't move very easily. But Jenkins is about 90th, and Adams is about 120th. I'm sure we would have to give up more.
    He could play DH also. He could end up a doubles machine out in Seattle.

I'd offer Adams, Jenkins and more. Just depends who they want I guess

vCash
    stephen Drew's option got declined.... probably out of our price range tho

vCash
    I'm not so sure I want to extend Wainwright

If his demand is something like 5/75, well the **** yeah.

If his demand is to top 100 million, then I think you have to let him go.

vCash
    I'm thinking its gonna be right around 5/100. I'll take it. It's only a little extra a year and he did take a team friendly contract before.

I feel like that money per year, with so many key players so you and still cheap that he's worth pushin to the 20 per year.

2B, RF will both be in the 500,000 to 1,000,000 range. The rotation will be Miller, Lynn, Rosenthal, Garcia (probably) and wainwright. We have a good deal with Garcia and Lynn, miller and Rosenthal will all still be cheap. So we have

Wong - cheap
    Tavares - cheap
    Miller - cheap
    Garcia - good deal. (2013: 5.75 M/2014: 7.75/2015:9.75 options after that we don't have to pick up)
    Rosenthal- cheap

But I think the thing that makes it possible more than anything is our farm is full of guys who will be future bench and pull pen pitchers and good ones. We don't have to spend money on those guys.

We really don't need any significant free agents for a long time. I think signing Wainwright to a 5 year 100 dollar deal is fine, risky but no more risky than signing any pitcher 5 years. Plus by the time it's time for miller and those guys to get bigger money wainwright will be about done. So will we have to stretch the payroll a tiny bit a year? Maybe. But I'm fine with that. It's not like getting stuck with Pujols for 10 years.

But also coming off tommy John he may have to settle for less because of prior injury
    Last edited by Skippy15; 10-29-2012 at 07:16 PM.

vCash
    Haren on a 3/30 deal would be awesome, sounds like his option won't be picked up.

But that means losing Wainwright and likely Carpenter after this season, or at least one of them.

vCash
    I think carp will retire after this year anyway, or come back very cheap.

Don't get me wrong on Wainwright. Short and cheap as possible is the goal lol

I'd love 3 years at 45-50 million. 15-17 per year

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast