Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    He was never once a league average hitter at any level.

The only positive is that he was young for his levels.

Zero extra base power.

If you look at each leagues, league average hitter, he never once reached it. Every level he has been at has been a very high offensive league in a very high offensive ball park.

He is a shortstop, and overall they are a little worse offensively. But he isn't a good hitter, and never has been. The thing that helps him is his age.
    Okay then

I disagree with you on parts of this but its not worth the time to argue it over a player that has no effect on this team and never will
    Last edited by Skippy15; 12-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.

vCash
    Ludwick back to reds 2 years 15 million. Pretty solid pick up for them. At the least gives them a right handed power bat to break up Votto and Bruce.

Only things I don't like about ludwick is he's somewhat easily injured and he's so streaky.

vCash
    Has there been any talk about possibly signing Polanco? I know he was hurt and struggled last year, but so was Berkman the year before we signed him. I think he would be a good fit and could be that right-handed 2nd base option as well as backup at 3rd. Not to mention a great clubhouse guy. I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I didn't have time to go through all the pages.

vCash
    We haven't really discussed it. It's not a bad idea but I don't know he really fits our needs fully.

He fits the right handed part but we need someone who can play some shortstop. Something he hasn't done in 7 years.

If we wanna commit to Furcal and Descalso as our shortstop and back up shortstop it would work but I think the better solution would be a guy like Alex Gonzalez who has some power and can play SS/2B. Third base we are set with Freese, Carpenter, Descalso all being able to play third.

I wouldn't really be surprised to see them pick up Polanco because the organization has a comfort picking up former players because they know them. Kinda like how we won't sign a free agent long term unless they've been part of the organization

Who knows later in the offseason but at this point id say our interest is probably minimal
    Last edited by Skippy15; 12-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timh9783 View Post
    Has there been any talk about possibly signing Polanco? I know he was hurt and struggled last year, but so was Berkman the year before we signed him. I think he would be a good fit and could be that right-handed 2nd base option as well as backup at 3rd. Not to mention a great clubhouse guy. I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I didn't have time to go through all the pages.
    He isn't a bad option at all, of course, it depends on price.

But he wouldn't play shortstop ever or anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    We haven't really discussed it. It's not a bad idea but I don't know he really fits our needs fully.

He fits the right handed part but we need someone who can play some shortstop. Something he hasn't done in 7 years.

If we wanna commit to Furcal and Descalso as our shortstop and back up shortstop it would work but I think the better solution would be a guy like Alex Gonzalez who has some power and can play SS/2B. Third base we are set with Freese, Carpenter, Descalso all being able to play third.

I wouldn't really be surprised to see them pick up Polanco because the organization has a comfort picking up former players because they know them. Kinda like how we won't sign a free agent long term unless they've been part of the organization

Who knows later in the offseason but at this point id say our interest is probably minimal
    I think a lot of it depends on how Carpenter does in learning 2nd base. If he can be a full-time 2nd basemen (which I really hope he does, but am skeptical about it), then Descalso can serve as the backup SS/2B/3B and Polanco could be the other bench infielder. I really hope they don't stick with Kozma.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timh9783 View Post
    I think a lot of it depends on how Carpenter does in learning 2nd base. If he can be a full-time 2nd basemen (which I really hope he does, but am skeptical about it), then Descalso can serve as the backup SS/2B/3B and Polanco could be the other bench infielder. I really hope they don't stick with Kozma.
    They won't. I think some of the comments from Dewitt and Mo have shown they know they need more depth and Kozma isn't an answer.

Polanco is very possible, I think Matt carpenter can be a solid 2B. I think he's much more athletic player than Skip was and played a harder position starting out than Skip so he knows how to play the infield

Something else that's entirely possible is Kolten Wong has a great spring and they award him the starting job. He had a really, really good first full year and had a great fall league. He will have to play great in spring training but he only has to beat out Matt Carpenter IMO (unless they bring in another 2B). I'd say its unlikely at this point but not impossible.

I think they understand that Descalso's much better as a bench player rather than a starter.

vCash
    Looks like getting to the playoffs if we don't win the division will be harder next year with the Dodgers signing Greinke for 6 years/ 147 million

vCash
    We have to play to our actual team potential next year not slump through extended periods

vCash
    Waino is gonna get paid if he does well this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    Waino is gonna get paid if he does well this year
    Yeah, the Cards will try to lower the years but Waino will get his AAV though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Yeah, the Cards will try to lower the years but Waino will get his AAV though.
    I feel like if he isn't extended this off-season (I'm thinking late Jan, early Feb if it happens) he probably won't be stay with us. He won't get that close to free agency and not test it and go after top dollars.

vCash
    I dont see the Cards trading 2, even 3 of their top 5 specs away in a deal, or even 4 of their top 10.

David Price is the only big fish out there and I dont see the Cards going to 25 mil+ a year to retain him long term.

Cards should buy low with Stubbs vs lefties and Gordon. Still lots of potential there with both of them. The risk does not outweigh the "possible" reward.

vCash
    Starting to sound like skip is def gone. This saddens me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stlbest5in2013 View Post
    I dont see the Cards trading 2, even 3 of their top 5 specs away in a deal, or even 4 of their top 10.

David Price is the only big fish out there and I dont see the Cards going to 25 mil+ a year to retain him long term.

Cards should buy low with Stubbs vs lefties and Gordon. Still lots of potential there with both of them. The risk does not outweigh the "possible" reward.
    Why would we want another outfielder? We don't have room for the ones we have.

Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast