Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 496 to 510 of 796
  1. #496
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,819
    vCash
    1500
    Derrick Goold ‏@dgoold
    #Cardinals do not expect to pick a player in major-league portion of Rule 5 draft. Don't see player who would stick in majors. #stlcards

    Michael Wacha

    5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

  2. #497
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,996
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I still like the idea of signing Jeff Baker so damn much.

    If we can land someone that can mash lefties and play a corner outfield spot, and be comfortable getting 250 PA's a year, then we should sign that guy (especially if he has extra base power).

    Scott Hariston?

    He could emergency play second base as well (but it's been since 11 since he has). He could be ideal if he can play any innings at second.

    I would even give him 2/10 to be a commonly used bench player (but he would have to be able to play second base enough to make that money worth it).

    This is if we keep Skip of course, who is the back up centerfielder still, and Hariston can play center in a pinch (but not well, sort of like Beltran)
    I think Harrison would be ideal. With or without Skip.

    Jay will get the majority of playing time in center. I guess here's my question. Could we get by carrying only 1 true centerfielder? It would be an issue only if Jay gets injured in the game, But even then. It wouldn't be that terrible. Beltran or Hariston could finish the game in center and then Robinson would have to be there the next day to play (for small injury, I think if we see a big injury to any starting outfielder we will see Tavares)

    I'm just brainstorming but I think it's over for Skip here, both sides ready to go separate ways.

    If dodgers really want Skip I'd be willing to do Punto for Skip straight up. Fixes issue for both teams. If they accept I move forward with Punto as the 2B/SS back up with Descalso. Both are extremely versatile. If Descalso could learn center that would add to his value.

    I'd sign hariston if I could to add power to the bench and give others time off. All just ideas though that fix our issues in cheap, easy and effective ways

  3. #498
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,886
    vCash
    1000
    Yup.

    I personally want to keep Skip. I would want him over Punto, and just sign a right handed bat like Harriston or Baker to face lefties.

    That would give us four CF'ers (or rather capable) on our OD roster

    Jay
    Skip
    Harriston
    Beltran

    (in that order)

    Taveras will be up (like you said) if there is a major injury, or it's June and he hasn't stopped hitting yet. In which case, the Cardinals will be forced, and Taveras will start taking at bats from Jay and Beltran (or if one of them is struggling, then that player).

    Taveras really could force his way on to our roster mid-season if he keeps hitting. He can play center, just not long term (as in, forever). He could play center for at least a few years if necessary.

  4. #499
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,996
    vCash
    1500
    Yep. I wanna keep skip too but when I hear the reports about it coming in I'm just going with what I think is practical.

    Personally if it was up to me I'd keep him but I guess at the same time is it fair to him? Carpenter or who we sign will get most of the corner outfield spots. They don't want him at 2B. If there is a major I just Tavares will get the call up. Outside pinch hitting three just isn't a lot of at bats for him. Sadly, I don't see him back.

    The guy busted his *** for us here. Moving to 2B from the outfield was never an easy task and he worked as hard as he could to be as good as he could. If he does get traded, even though I'm expecting it I will be very saddened by it

  5. #500
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,819
    vCash
    1500
    i wonder if the dodgers would give us dee gordon for skip that would be amazing

    Michael Wacha

    5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

  6. #501
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,996
    vCash
    1500
    Hahaha keep dreaming buddy lol


    #STLCards want to upgrade with utility infielder. They have discussed free agent Alex Gonzalez and trade options Getz and Lombardozzi.

    From Jon Morosi

  7. #502
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Decatur, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    513
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Yup.

    I personally want to keep Skip. I would want him over Punto, and just sign a right handed bat like Harriston or Baker to face lefties.

    That would give us four CF'ers (or rather capable) on our OD roster

    Jay
    Skip
    Harriston
    Beltran

    (in that order)

    Taveras will be up (like you said) if there is a major injury, or it's June and he hasn't stopped hitting yet. In which case, the Cardinals will be forced, and Taveras will start taking at bats from Jay and Beltran (or if one of them is struggling, then that player).

    Taveras really could force his way on to our roster mid-season if he keeps hitting. He can play center, just not long term (as in, forever). He could play center for at least a few years if necessary.

    They have to find a way to get Beltran and Holliday more rest in '13.. Jeffy I think your right on the money with Hairston for 2/10 million. Solid RH OF with power.. Fill in for both Holliday and Beltran couple of days a week and pinch hit everyday he isnt in starting 9..
    I dont see Skip staying at this point... He has been a great Cardinal but his time appears over..

    Why do you like Baker so much Jeffy? Just curious....

  8. #503
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,886
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshunde4 View Post
    They have to find a way to get Beltran and Holliday more rest in '13.. Jeffy I think your right on the money with Hairston for 2/10 million. Solid RH OF with power.. Fill in for both Holliday and Beltran couple of days a week and pinch hit everyday he isnt in starting 9..
    I dont see Skip staying at this point... He has been a great Cardinal but his time appears over..

    Why do you like Baker so much Jeffy? Just curious....
    He mashes lefties, but for some reason, everyone who has ever had him has used him to face righties too much.

    He is Jay Bruce/Carlos Quientin offensively when he faces a lefty. He is that strong and good. Career .342 OBP, .498 slugging vs lefties. He is Carlos Beltran with a little lower OBP.

    He just can't hit righties, and everyone has used him to face righties too much.

    And he can play second base, is crazy cheap, and fills a lot of holes for us very easily.

    He is just a perfect fit, that's why I want him so badly. Doubt it happens.

    Harriston is a good solution, and a two year deal would be nice. In case of injury and extra use this year, and next year, after Beltran is gone, if Taveras isn't ready and Carpenter isn't hitting like we would want, we would at least have someone that could play right field every day if we had to have him.

    2/10 is fair to him and us. He would probably get 300-350 PA, starting everyday against lefties, playing second base occasionally, and corner outfield positions and backing up in center if necessary. Gives us room in case someone gets hurt and Taveras isn't ready. And is basically our right handed hitting Matt Carpenter....in every way.

    And he would get a lot of pinch hitting opportunities. Basically 3 out of every 4 games that he doesn't start, he'll get a chance to pinch hit.

    About 300 PA in 2013....would be worth the 5 million because he gives us a lot of room.

    He may want more than that, since he did just hit 20 home runs last year, and thinks he is worth a starting job, but I don't see anyone giving him a starting job. Might as well go to a good team where you can get used a lot.

    Give him 4 in 2013, and 6 in 2014 after Beltran, Carpenter, and Furcal are off the books and we will have filled out budget for 2013.

    And that's more money than he has ever made in a single season in his career...in fact, it's double.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 12-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.

  9. #504
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Decatur, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    513
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    He mashes lefties, but for some reason, everyone who has ever had him has used him to face righties too much.

    He is Jay Bruce/Carlos Quientin offensively when he faces a lefty. He is that strong and good. Career .342 OBP, .498 slugging vs lefties. He is Carlos Beltran with a little lower OBP.

    He just can't hit righties, and everyone has used him to face righties too much.

    And he can play second base, is crazy cheap, and fills a lot of holes for us very easily.

    He is just a perfect fit, that's why I want him so badly. Doubt it happens.

    Harriston is a good solution, and a two year deal would be nice. In case of injury and extra use this year, and next year, after Beltran is gone, if Taveras isn't ready and Carpenter isn't hitting like we would want, we would at least have someone that could play right field every day if we had to have him.

    2/10 is fair to him and us. He would probably get 300-350 PA, starting everyday against lefties, playing second base occasionally, and corner outfield positions and backing up in center if necessary. Gives us room in case someone gets hurt and Taveras isn't ready. And is basically our right handed hitting Matt Carpenter....in every way.

    And he would get a lot of pinch hitting opportunities. Basically 3 out of every 4 games that he doesn't start, he'll get a chance to pinch hit.

    About 300 PA in 2013....would be worth the 5 million because he gives us a lot of room.

    He may want more than that, since he did just hit 20 home runs last year, and thinks he is worth a starting job, but I don't see anyone giving him a starting job. Might as well go to a good team where you can get used a lot.

    Give him 4 in 2013, and 6 in 2014 after Beltran, Carpenter, and Furcal are off the books and we will have filled out budget for 2013.

    And that's more money than he has ever made in a single season in his career...in fact, it's double.
    With the Yanks in disarray and in need of a RF I can see them overpaying Hairston a 1 year deal..

    Read some tweets about Alex Gonzalez might be looked at.. Gotta wonder how that knee is?? He would be cheap enough if they spent on guy like Hairston.

  10. #505
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    1500
    Jeffy/Skippy--What is your take on Lombardozzi? Any idea what the Nat's would want from us in a trade? Seems like a good, young utility guy that wouldn't cost as much as someone expecting a starting job. Can play corner OF, SS and 2b, and hits from both sides. Sounds like someone who would fit for us.

  11. #506
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,996
    vCash
    1500
    I think he is a great fit if he can play SS some more than he has. Only 18 innings in mlb and not a ton in the minors, He has a good average for a bench player, which to me means he can come up and get a base hit for, the bench. He's a plus fielder everywhere but SS but it wasn't to bad. For a guy only playing there a few games he would be okay. Unless Descalso would be the back up SS and Lombardozzi he back up 2B. To me he seems like a better hitting Descalso. He hits lefty pitching very good and he is a .281 pinch hitter.

    Only thing I don't like is a lack of power. That's why I think the better move is Gonzalez or trading for Lombardozzi and signing Hariston. But if we traded for him I wouldn't be upset about it. He can be a very good bench player, last year was his first year so he should get a little better.

    No matter how we have to get some power on the bench. It hurt us last year. As far as what it would take to get him? I'd say not much. Probably a quality bench player for another quality bench player.

    So overall I think he could be a solid match. Good pinch hitter. Versatile. Plays the positions we really need. I'd be happy with a trade for him.

    I say Kozma while people still think he has some value lol
    Last edited by Skippy15; 12-06-2012 at 01:35 PM.

  12. #507
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,886
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by salto View Post
    Jeffy/Skippy--What is your take on Lombardozzi? Any idea what the Nat's would want from us in a trade? Seems like a good, young utility guy that wouldn't cost as much as someone expecting a starting job. Can play corner OF, SS and 2b, and hits from both sides. Sounds like someone who would fit for us.
    A couple of reports suggest the Nationals favor him over Espinoza.

    He has more years of control, but is just as good as Espinoza. He would take slightly more most likely to trade for then Danny.

    Lombardozzi would be a nice fit as well. The Nationals are dangling him/Espinoza because they have 3 guys to play 2 positions, and all 3 are pretty equally valuable. I'm not as positive on his defense as I am about Espinoza. Espinoza for a fact would be a league average defensive shortstop. Lombardozzi might be as well, but there are conflicting reports and not enough metrics and defensive innings to really say just yet.

  13. #508
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,886
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post

    I say Kozma while people still think he has some value lol
    Nationals might actually think Kozma has some value after Game 5 of the NLDS lol

  14. #509
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,996
    vCash
    1500
    lol. Suckers. Better go big then. Descalso had a big series vs them also. Okay. It's decided

    I guess we will take Harper and Strasberg for Descalso and Kozma. But we are taking a loss on the deal

  15. #510
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,819
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    lol. Suckers. Better go big then. Descalso had a big series vs them also. Okay. It's decided

    I guess we will take Harper and Strasberg for Descalso and Kozma. But we are taking a loss on the deal
    we might even have to throw skip in to make it even more fair

    Michael Wacha

    5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •