Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    No, me either.

I'm talking about getting him on a minor league deal with a spring training invite. If it works great if not to bad.

I would really love Reed Johnson. No real power, maybe 7 on a really good year but he's a great defender and a great pinch hitter.

A guy with power off the bench would be great but at the same time sometimes a single is just as effective lol

Maybe we could get Reed Johnson and just make sure we get a back up SS with some pop. Bartlett had some, Don't know if he could regain it

vCash
    Chone figgins DFA. To bad he doesn't have any power. If he gets released he would add some to our bench and he will be very cheap after last few years but he doesn't have much value to us without some power

vCash
    I have always wanted Figgins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Hit .295 with Texas in AAA. .362 OBP, 8 homers. I'd say he still has something left to offer in a limited roll for the price he will come at. In Texas he just had no where to play.

Wasn't in Cleveland's system long. Don't see why he couldn't add something just because he didnt play in the majors in 2012, only 33
    Scouting him by box score isnt a true measure of what he has left..

Hate to even say this but what about Gomes? Ive always hated this guy, but he carries a .894 career OPS vs LH pitching.. It doesnt help CF backup, but looks as though Oscar is the guy for that from the way Mo is talking.

vCash
    Hey Jeffy do you think Carpenter could handle a full season of 3B?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshunde4 View Post
    Scouting him by box score isnt a true measure of what he has left..

Hate to even say this but what about Gomes? Ive always hated this guy, but he carries a .894 career OPS vs LH pitching.. It doesnt help CF backup, but looks as though Oscar is the guy for that from the way Mo is talking.
    Tavares only makes this team to start the year if he has a great spring and has shown he has been able to smooth out some rough edges. Or if A starting outfielder comes up with a major injury

As far as by his box score, how much have you watched him the last 3 years? I haven't and honestly if you say you've watched more than 5 at bats I'm gonna say your full of it. What your saying is true but I don't believe you've seen him play enough to know he's done either.

A great example of why what your saying is sometimes right and sometimes wrong is lance Berkman

In 2010 Berkman looked horrible with the Astros and Yankees, he couldn't catch up to a mid 90s fastball to save his ***, he was constantly injured and his power was almost completely gone from what it used to be. Baseball experts almost unanimously said he was done and it was more than just injury issues. He was just done. How'd that turn out?

And again, like I said. It's a minor league tryout with possible really good upside. It's not a risk at all.

As far as Gomes no, not impressed. Bad defender and extremely streaky. Also a guy who will sign somewhere looking for more playing time than he'll get here most likely.

vCash
    Tavares only makes this team to start the year if he has a great spring and has shown he has been able to smooth out some rough edges. Or if A starting outfielder comes up with a major injury

As far as by his box score, how much have you watched him the last 3 years? I haven't and honestly if you say you've watched more than 5 at bats I'm gonna say your full of it. What your saying is true but I don't believe you've seen him play enough to know he's done either.

A great example of why what your saying is sometimes right and sometimes wrong is lance Berkman

In 2010 Berkman looked horrible with the Astros and Yankees, he couldn't catch up to a mid 90s fastball to save his ***, he was constantly injured and his power was almost completely gone from what it used to be. Baseball experts almost unanimously said he was done and it was more than just injury issues. He was just done. How'd that turn out?

And again, like I said. It's a minor league tryout with possible really good upside. It's not a risk at all.

As far as Gomes no, not impressed. Bad defender and extremely streaky. Also a guy who will sign somewhere looking for more playing time than he'll get here most likely.

I dont think for a minute Tavares makes the big club out of ST.. First injury to OF I bet he is called up..

I havent seen Spillbourghs play in couple of seasons nor am I a scout...

Its fair to say Berkman had a longer and more successful track record of production then Spillbourghs. But I understand your point that WE dont know if he has anything left...

Which would you prefer in a RH 4th OF? Power? Or Speed?
    I would prefer a guy with power..

vCash
    I dont think for a minute Tavares makes the big club out of ST.. First injury to OF I bet he is called up..

I havent seen Spillbourghs play in couple of seasons nor am I a scout...

Its fair to say Berkman had a longer and more successful track record of production then Spillbourghs. But I understand your point that WE dont know if he has anything left...

Which would you prefer in a RH 4th OF? Power? Or Speed?
    I would prefer a guy with power..
    Just depends.

I would prefer power for sure but if they come out and sign Reed Johnson I'd be thrilled also.

Johnson is a guy who is a great pinch hitter, which isn't easy to find and he's a great defensive player.

We Definately need power off the bench but at the same time our pinch hitters were pathetic last year. We could use a great pinch hitter.

So basically to answer the best I can.

I'd take Reed Johnson over Spillbourghs. Spillbourghs over signing a guy that will add home runs and nothing else. Spillbourghs is just an Idea because be plays all 3 outfield spots and his shown okay power and on base ability
    Last edited by Skippy15; 11-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.

vCash
    Given contractual commitments in the years ahead, I believe Zack Greinke would fit into the budget. Greinke & Wainwright give the team two bonafide aces at the front of the rotation, complemented by Carpenter, Westbrook & Garcia. It gives the Cardinals one year to keep Shelby Miller at AAA, thereby slowing the start of his arbitration clock.

But more than anything, the future rotation would project to Greinke (6 Year Deal), Garcia (controlled through 2017), & Shelby Miller. The residual question would be retaining Wainwright following his walk year.

In terms of the 2013 Budget, Greinke's figure between 22-24 million replaces Berkman and Lohse.

The Angels stole Pujols, Cards should respond accordingly.

vCash
    We have so much starting pitching.

Greinke while it would be great to have really would just be a guy we are over paying to have here. He isn't really needed. I have a feeling Shelby miller will be better anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquest8089 View Post
    Given contractual commitments in the years ahead, I believe Zack Greinke would fit into the budget. Greinke & Wainwright give the team two bonafide aces at the front of the rotation, complemented by Carpenter, Westbrook & Garcia. It gives the Cardinals one year to keep Shelby Miller at AAA, thereby slowing the start of his arbitration clock.

But more than anything, the future rotation would project to Greinke (6 Year Deal), Garcia (controlled through 2017), & Shelby Miller. The residual question would be retaining Wainwright following his walk year.

In terms of the 2013 Budget, Greinke's figure between 22-24 million replaces Berkman and Lohse.

The Angels stole Pujols, Cards should respond accordingly.
    How does this fit into the budget? It would IMO send Waino right out the door... Other then TJ surgery Waino has been an excellent starter and a leader in clubhouse.. Greinke is a good pitcher but not a great one..

1. Waino 2. Carp 3. Westy 4. Garcia 5. Lynn Then throw in Miller and Rsoenthal and Kelly to the mix.. Never mind that Wacha and C-Mart are a year away..

Miller is the only young guy in a position to provide 180 ip next season. Rosie hasnt logged enough ip in minors to make the jump from low 100's to 180 to 200 ip range. Kelly looks like a 8th setup guy to me..

A lot of people are expecting Carp to be gone after next season just because his contract is up.. I wouldnt put it past Carp IF he is healthy to stick around longer..

As far as stealin Greinke from Angels as payback for King Angel... King Angel chose to leave.. As some have said the infatuation is over and the spell is broken.. He was great when he was here and left in a snit over perceived lack of respect and commitment.
    So be it... Time to move on....

vCash
    How does this fit into the budget? It would IMO send Waino right out the door... Other then TJ surgery Waino has been an excellent starter and a leader in clubhouse.. Greinke is a good pitcher but not a great one..

1. Waino 2. Carp 3. Westy 4. Garcia 5. Lynn Then throw in Miller and Rsoenthal and Kelly to the mix.. Never mind that Wacha and C-Mart are a year away..

Miller is the only young guy in a position to provide 180 ip next season. Rosie hasnt logged enough ip in minors to make the jump from low 100's to 180 to 200 ip range. Kelly looks like a 8th setup guy to me..

A lot of people are expecting Carp to be gone after next season just because his contract is up.. I wouldnt put it past Carp IF he is healthy to stick around longer..

As far as stealin Greinke from Angels as payback for King Angel... King Angel chose to leave.. As some have said the infatuation is over and the spell is broken.. He was great when he was here and left in a snit over perceived lack of respect and commitment.
    So be it... Time to move on....
    Thisssss.

Though I will add I still consider Lynn young and if he comes in in better shape and gets passed some of his mental blocks he could hit 200 IP

vCash
    Thisssss.

Though I will add I still consider Lynn young and if he comes in in better shape and gets passed some of his mental blocks he could hit 200 IP
    Agree! Lynn still young and has some hard earned experience on both good and bad.. Id expect him to continue working hard and trying to get better...

Is it me or does it seem like the season has been over a long time?

vCash
    Agree! Lynn still young and has some hard earned experience on both good and bad.. Id expect him to continue working hard and trying to get better...

Is it me or does it seem like the season has been over a long time?
    It for sure feels like than a month lol.

I think if Lynn comes to camp more trim and better conditioned he will be okay.

vCash
    Greinke is just too much.

He is an awesome pitcher, but he doesn't fit in with what we have.

Just because we appear to have future budget room doesn't mean we won't have future needs that will need to be assessed at those times.

We already have too much pitching that we have worthy starters forced into the pen the next two seasons even without locking up Wainwright. Greinke would just be too much, cost us our first round draft pick, and we would be paying him to decline and he doesn't really fit into our needs right now.

Would love to have him, but not for what it's going to cost us, and in more ways than one.

Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast