Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Carpenter Done?

vCash

Carpenter Done?

http://www.bnd.com/2013/02/05/248472...but-chris.html
    By Scott Wuerz Belleville News Democrat
    It's a lose-lose situation for the Cardinals as ace pitcher Chris Carpenter has decided that he's no longer going to try to pitch -- but he's not going to formally retire.Because of that last little wrinkle, Carpenter will continue to collect his $12.5 million 2013 salary.If he would have just retired, the Cardinals might have been able to take that cash and spend it on another pitcher -- say, perhaps, Kyle Lohse who seems to be in need of work.I don't know how I feel about Carpenter's decision to hold out for the cash. On one hand, I can understand why a guy wouldn't give back a stack of cash when he didn't have to. But, the Cardinals paid Carpenter $23.5 million for two seasons that he nearly missed in their entirety.Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said Tuesday that he thought it was unlikely that the Cardinals would be able to make a move like trying to re-sign Lohse. That takes them from a team that was one game from a World Series berth and turns it into a club that has Adam Wainwright and a bunch of question marks in the starting rotation.The Cardinals, with Lohse's departure as a free agent and Carpenter's as a casualty, will be without two of their top three pitchers from the last five years. Jaime Garcia's health was more in doubt than Carpenter's a month ago and who knows if Lance Lynn can pitch like he did last year when a guy who the organization had basically lost faith in turned around and won 18 games.There's a lot of difference between pitching against the other club's fourth or fifth starter and being a guy who is counted on near the top of the rotation.I hope the Redbirds can come to some sort of agreement with Carpenter to defer his 2013 paycheck over several years so they can afford to try to sign a veteran starter. But I don't know if that's possible this late in the game.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2013/02/05/248472...#storylink=cpy
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    well ****

NFL: Denver Broncos
    MLB: St. Louis Cardinals
    NHL: St. Louis Blues
    NBA: Chicago Bulls
    NCAAF: Iowa Hawkeyes
    NCAAB: Iowa Hawkeyes
    EPL: Chelsea Football Club
    FIFA: Deutschland and USA

vCash
    The bummer is that I knew last year that this would happen. Of course we can all do good in hindsight. The problem is that the 2 guys it would have been easy and great to trade for, Vargas and Shields, have been traded to other teams. We need someone to fill the gap until the young guys are ready. I know what they showed last year, but they are not ready, as of yet.
    This is the pitching the Cards need.

Pro 24:10 If you slack off on a day of distress, your strength is small indeed.
    Pro 24:11 Yes, rescue those being dragged off to death won't you save those about to be killed?
    Pro 24:12 If you say, "We knew nothing about it," won't He who weighs hearts discern it? Yes, He who guards you will know it and repay each one as his deeds deserve.

vCash
    We don't need anybody.

We have too much pitching as it is, and the Wainwright is the only veteran starter we need to lead the charge.

And even he might be gone after this year.

I'm very happy we didn't go after Shields or Vargas. I love the pitching depth and youth we have coming.

vCash
    Agreed jeffy. I do believe MOZ likes pitching and wants wainwright back and we will get him back for 5 years I'm sure.

vCash
    Well the price just went way up on Wainwright.

vCash
    I honesty don't think it did.

Wainwright has already said when asked about a home town discount said that "I love it here and this is where I wanna be"

To me that says I want a fair deal but I'm not trying to break the bank. He knows he could get much more on the open market but as long he gets a fair deal here even for less money. I think we can get him signed still for around 20 million per year

vCash
    he already kinda gave us a huge discount on the last contract. I kinda doubt he gives us another.

i still think its gonna take at least 5/100 to get him back, if not more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Well the price just went way up on Wainwright.
    We will find out.... Wonder how or if this changes the dynamic of talks with Waino..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    he already kinda gave us a huge discount on the last contract. I kinda doubt he gives us another.

i still think its gonna take at least 5/100 to get him back, if not more.
    I don't think he will take a huge one but I don't think he will raise his price to the point he knows they won't be able to keep him.

I think he will give the cardinals a break he won't give others in free agency. Regardless the guy is looking at close to or over 20 million.

Basically my feeling is if he feels like he will get 22 million per year on the open market I don't think he will leave if they over 20 million per year. He won't take a huge discount but he's not gonna split hairs over a small amount of a 100 million dollar contract

vCash
    i'd agree with that for sure. i do think a deal will get done too, i just dont think it will be for much less that what he could get on the open market like you said

vCash
    Personally I'd give Waino 4 yrs and 85-90M and negotiate on a mutual option for a 5th. Though I wouldn't be surprised that Waino asked for a Matt Cain type deal 6 yrs and 130m or something. Though the consensus of around 5/100 is probably where the deal will settle. Seeing that Wainwright is 31 I don't want a deal that goes past to age 36-7 in light of Chris Carpenter's unfortunate situation.