Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

I would like to hear your opinions

Being that we are 49er fans, and being this a site that allows you to get feedback and talk amongst other fans of your favorite team, I wanted to get your opinions on something?

Last year the 49ers forced 20 fumbles alone in the regular season, and thats not including special teams, we also had 20 interceptions. As of week 7, we have 5 forced fumbles and 5 interceptions. Im not an expert but I think I know enough of football to have a pretty good and respectable opinion as to why this is, and it could be a couple reasons. Number 1 being, we play a different philosophy: that philosophy being with our safeties. Countless times last year you can see Dashon playing deep, and we played zone, and this led to interceptions. We dont play zone as far as I can tell. If we do its minimal. Our philosophy has also left us less aggressive. Number 2: Teams have countered our way of playing last year, forcing the defense to play a certain style. I think this is partly true, that being said, nobody forces us into playing man defense. We can play man defense with culliver, and even brown i believe, thats also including the linebackers willis and bowman. However any fan who watches games knows that carlos rogers and perrish cox get beat on double moves consistently, most of rogers's INT's last year were from zone. Lastly Number 3: Our special teams sucks- It is our weakest spot, and im not including punting and kicking, this is strictly coverage unit. Our coverage unit is terrible, and everytime ackers doesnt kick it in the back of the inside I shake in fear that the opponent is going to take it back. Lets be honest this is clearly baakle and harbaughs fault. I absolutely despise them getting rid of colin jones, and blake castanzo (spell check). Those two brought life not only to our special teams, but to our team. They forced turnovers. Last year, most of the time, when teams decided to take it out of the end zone, they would be met at the 10 or 15 yard line cuz of these two guys. They brought it Trent Robinson and also left dobbs and ian williams on the roster, both dont contribute much at all even though i believe they have potential, especially dobbs. Harbaugh needs to get over his two position fantasy because thats the only reason Williams is on the roster. If dobbs wasnt playing TE he would be on the roster because of The D-Line over williams. We have chose Mcbath over Colin Jones??? No way, and our special teams sucks because of it.

ANyways just a little fun convo

vCash
    First of all, we had 38 total turnovers last year, not 40 just on defense. And this year we have 11 so far, not 10. We are on pace for around 25. Anyone who thought we would repeat last year's turnover numbers is an idiot. Go back and look at teams who have led the league in causing turnovers in the past; they never repeat that in back-to-back years. The main reason being that part of turnovers is luck--being at the right place at the right time. Our defense is doing fine. If the Lions score 15 or more points against the Bears tonight, we will have the lowest points allowed per game. We allow the fewest amount of yards per game. Also, as much as people want to hate on our offense the past two weeks, if you look at our stats for the season, we are 4th in total yards...meaning that our offense is on the field much more than last year, which gives the defense fewer opportunities to create turnovers. I think the secondary can play better than they have, but this defense is still playing at an extremely high level.
    Last edited by Lakers211221; 10-22-2012 at 05:30 AM.

vCash
    About the secondary, yes it's true the turnover stats are way down this year.... but the 49ers have allowed WAY fewer deep plays this year than they did last year. The defense isn't getting beat deep as many times as they did last year and there are stats to back that up....so the defense/secondary is drastically improved in that aspect. As for special teams.... we never should have let Blake Costanzo go...even Colin Jones. The special teams production isn't as good as it was last year, but I'm not too worried as of now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    First of all, we had 38 total turnovers last year, not 40 just on defense. And this year we have 11 so far, not 10. We are on pace for around 25. Anyone who thought we would repeat last year's turnover numbers is an idiot. Go back and look at teams who have led the league in causing turnovers in the past; they never repeat that in back-to-back years. The main reason being that part of turnovers is luck--being at the right place at the right time. Our defense is doing fine. If the Lions score 15 or more points against the Bears tonight, we will have the lowest points allowed per game. We allow the fewest amount of yards per game. Also, as much as people want to hate on our offense the past two weeks, if you look at our stats for the season, we are 4th in total yards...meaning that our offense is on the field much more than last year, which gives the defense fewer opportunities to create turnovers. I think the secondary can play better than they have, but this defense is still playing at an extremely high level.
    While all of what you said is true, it still remains to be seen if this "new" defense is enough to get us past those elite teams deep in the playoffs. Last year, the combination of a turnover-forcing juggernaut combined with a conservative offense worked out great. The offense was average at times last year and nothing to brag about compared to other elite teams...but that turnover-forcing defense always made it so much easier for our offense. Great field position, more scoring opportunities, play conservative and rely on the defense, etc. For example, in the Saints game, they forced SO MANY turnovers which ultimately was just barely enough for a win. In the NFCC, no turnovers forced (because Goldson blasted Tarell Brown and Rogers) and we lost that game. In the first meeting vs NYG, Rogers had 2 interceptions and the defense was making plays. We won that game. Everything you said is true, but will this new style defense (that doesn't get as many turnovers and gives up less yards) combined with a conservative offense be enough to beat the elite teams deep in the playoffs? That remains to be seen. UNLESS the offense opens up more as the season progress. You pointed out the offensive improvement, so we'll see how much more they improve by playoff time. And a side note: Culliver and Brown have been getting beat quite a few times in the past few weeks. Hopefully they turn it around and play like they normally have the last year and a half.
    Last edited by tapajafri; 10-23-2012 at 01:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapajafri View Post
    While all of what you said is true, it still remains to be seen if this "new" defense is enough to get us past those elite teams deep in the playoffs. Last year, the combination of a turnover-forcing juggernaut combined with a conservative offense worked out great. The offense was average at times last year and nothing to brag about compared to other elite teams...but that turnover-forcing defense always made it so much easier for our offense. Great field position, more scoring opportunities, play conservative and rely on the defense, etc. For example, in the Saints game, they forced SO MANY turnovers which ultimately was just barely enough for a win. In the NFCC, no turnovers forced (because Goldson blasted Tarell Brown and Rogers) and we lost that game. In the first meeting vs NYG, Rogers had 2 interceptions and the defense was making plays. We won that game. Everything you said is true, but will this new style defense (that doesn't get as many turnovers and gives up less yards) combined with a conservative offense be enough to beat the elite teams deep in the playoffs? That remains to be seen. UNLESS the offense opens up more as the season progress. You pointed out the offensive improvement, so we'll see how much more they improve by playoff time. And a side note: Culliver and Brown have been getting beat quite a few times in the past few weeks. Hopefully they turn it around and play like they normally have the last year and a half.
    Culliver is in the top 10 CBs when it comes to QB rating when thrown at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Culliver is in the top 10 CBs when it comes to QB rating when thrown at.
    The times where he has been beat, he's looked really bad. It was about 3-4 times this year and all came from week 3-now. And it wasn't him getting beat deep, it was more on the short routes. He had no idea the passes were being thrown. 3-4 times is 3-4 too many for a player who rarely makes small errors like him. Very solid player.

vCash
    Every corner gets beat. For him to be in the top 10 is remarkable
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    My opinion is: Alex Smith must grow a sick black beard. Then we'll win the Superbowl. Apparently its what champions in San Fran do! Time for Alex to get with the program! Lol

vCash
    i am not too worried about the INTs some games last year they got 2 in the 4th in a game that didn't really matter as long as we get them in big situations i am fine with it

vCash
    turnovers are tough to predict. The 49ers got a lot of turnovers last year, and had several good bounces to win games.

This year the team is much better, and doesn't need "lucky" bounces to win games. This is another year, and the team is different.

The defense is better, the special teams isn't. They have more depth in the passing game, but have now suffered two poorly coached / played stinkers (blowout losses).

Different year, different team. Let's hope SF can just continually get better as the season progresses. They won't go 13-3 most likely, but they might be better. How much better? Who knows. They'll probably have to win a road playoff game. (or two)
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

England to LA and now in the City of the Bay
    vCash
    I'm really happy with our secondary, look it how they batted balls away from Fitz last night, no one does that. We do give up a lotttt less big plays than we have in the past 5 years at least, including last year. We are clean tacklers and every single person on our secondary looked great yesterday. We will still probably finish top 3 in turnover margin this year and no one expected us to repeat +28 on turnover ratio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ9yOmJr7Tw

Good stuff but the best highlight comes at 51 secs.