Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 126

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    My Happy Place
    Posts
    11,289
    vCash
    1500

    Mods for Night Hours

    It's been clear for a long time now that virtually most if not all current mods are asleep during late night hours. Mostly around 1-7 AM Eastern Time. This applies to most of the forums (NBA, NFL, MLB, GD Forum especially, etc.). Due to this being the case, this is around the time when Spammers come and attack. The GD is full of porn, posts in sports forum threads are filled ads for hand bags and what not.

    Obviously I don't blame any of the current mods for this. Their human, they have their own personal lives and need sleep. But what about the people that are the most active around these hours? There are quite a number of people that who even posts just on these hours due to either being in another country or because they just like being active on these times.

    So the solution here is quite simple. Hire new mods for these hours so that more spam is prevented and more dupes/flame wars/etc are banned.

    Any way for this to be possible?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    12,849
    vCash
    1500
    If this were to actually happen, I'd throw my hat in the ring for consideration. I know for almost sure that because of my job, I'm the most active overnight poster in the Entertainment forum (and maybe the Cubs forum, which was for a long time the most active on the site), which I think is second only to the GD forum in overnight spam.

    That said, I'm probably excluded from consideration due to my couple day bans over the course of 5 years for doing outrageous things like copy/pasting some Packer fan quotes to the Bears forum after the Bears beat the Pack. And I'm a Bears fan. The madness.


    Jill Garvey <3

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    37,188
    vCash
    2100
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    That said, I'm probably excluded from consideration due to my couple day bans over the course of 5 years for doing outrageous things like copy/pasting some Packer fan quotes to the Bears forum after the Bears beat the Pack. And I'm a Bears fan. The madness.
    You have two infractions and a 20 day ban this year for insulting a moderator.

    I've never even seen you post before, so I'm not about to judge you as a poster, but your history isn't promising.

    Feel free to shoot SI a private message if you would like to offer your services, though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    You have two infractions and a 20 day ban this year for insulting a moderator.
    Is this frowned upon?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    22,682
    vCash
    8600
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Costanza View Post
    Is this frowned upon?
    Apparently






  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    14,865
    vCash
    3312
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Costanza View Post
    Is this frowned upon?
    Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    12,849
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    You have two infractions and a 20 day ban this year for insulting a moderator.

    I've never even seen you post before, so I'm not about to judge you as a poster, but your history isn't promising.

    Feel free to shoot SI a private message if you would like to offer your services, though.
    I wasn't serious.

    That particular moderator is the exact reason I would never actually consider moderating on this site. In fact, for that same reason, I'll probably have to preamble this next statement by advising to those who read it that it is not meant to be an insult, but rather a simple opinion of a half-decade tenured poster of PSD.

    And that opinion is that if the powers that be on this site allow that particular moderator, who I wont name, to continue to moderate on this site, despite complaints from DOZENS of users (including other mods, who again, obviously shouldnt be named here), then there's some pretty serious issues with those in control around here.

    Not to pull the Canadian girlfriend card, but I'm actually a mod on two other sites (or more accurately, currently just one and retired on the other), and the equivalent of a TM on a third. On atleast two of those sites we've had to deal with disruptive/abusive mods before, and never has there been any hesitation to force one to step down when warranted. But for whatever reason, that has always been totally out of the question here. I'll never understand it, but as it stands currently, I most certainly wouldn't want to be a part of it.

    /rant


    Jill Garvey <3

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,352
    vCash
    1500
    At the moment, it looks like SDI are considering spam-o-matic, but if that does not workout for whichever reason, this is something I am willing to do. I think this is a very solid idea that I would be willing to implement.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    24,731
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Illustrator View Post
    At the moment, it looks like SDI are considering spam-o-matic, but if that does not workout for whichever reason, this is something I am willing to do. I think this is a very solid idea that I would be willing to implement.
    **********

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    68,790
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Illustrator View Post
    At the moment, it looks like SDI are considering spam-o-matic, but if that does not workout for whichever reason, this is something I am willing to do. I think this is a very solid idea that I would be willing to implement.
    NOOOOOOOOOOO Lol.... Now the Spam-o-matic is stopping me from becoming Mod.

    All Jokes aside this is really good news and thanks SI

    What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    35,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Illustrator View Post
    At the moment, it looks like SDI are considering spam-o-matic, but if that does not workout for whichever reason, this is something I am willing to do. I think this is a very solid idea that I would be willing to implement.
    Pick meeeeee!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,007
    vCash
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Illustrator View Post
    At the moment, it looks like SDI are considering spam-o-matic, but if that does not workout for whichever reason, this is something I am willing to do. I think this is a very solid idea that I would be willing to implement.
    Make me a mod. I've earned it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    37,188
    vCash
    2100
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    I wasn't serious.

    That particular moderator is the exact reason I would never actually consider moderating on this site. In fact, for that same reason, I'll probably have to preamble this next statement by advising to those who read it that it is not meant to be an insult, but rather a simple opinion of a half-decade tenured poster of PSD.

    And that opinion is that if the powers that be on this site allow that particular moderator, who I wont name, to continue to moderate on this site, despite complaints from DOZENS of users (including other mods, who again, obviously shouldnt be named here), then there's some pretty serious issues with those in control around here.

    Not to pull the Canadian girlfriend card, but I'm actually a mod on two other sites (or more accurately, currently just one and retired on the other), and the equivalent of a TM on a third. On atleast two of those sites we've had to deal with disruptive/abusive mods before, and never has there been any hesitation to force one to step down when warranted. But for whatever reason, that has always been totally out of the question here. I'll never understand it, but as it stands currently, I most certainly wouldn't want to be a part of it.

    /rant
    My fault. It's hard to tell sarcasm sometimes

    If you have problems with a specific mod or you think something is unfair, feel free to shoot me a PM to get another opinion in the future

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,421
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JNA17 View Post
    It's been clear for a long time now that virtually most if not all current mods are asleep during late night hours. Mostly around 1-7 AM Eastern Time. This applies to most of the forums (NBA, NFL, MLB, GD Forum especially, etc.). Due to this being the case, this is around the time when Spammers come and attack. The GD is full of porn, posts in sports forum threads are filled ads for hand bags and what not.

    Obviously I don't blame any of the current mods for this. Their human, they have their own personal lives and need sleep. But what about the people that are the most active around these hours? There are quite a number of people that who even posts just on these hours due to either being in another country or because they just like being active on these times.

    So the solution here is quite simple. Hire new mods for these hours so that more spam is prevented and more dupes/flame wars/etc are banned.

    Any way for this to be possible?
    Should they get paid more or less than regular working joes?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    22,389
    vCash
    1500
    I don't think there is really enough user activity at night to warrant having mods camping out and waiting for spam

    The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •