Marquez to Keep on Fighting, Chavez Jr's "Miserable" Offer, More Mexican Boxing News
COMMENTARY | According to various sources, Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KOs) has decided to continue with his career and have at least two fights in 2013.
The decision to keep fighting was an expected move, considering that two fights with a probable cumulative worth of well over $10 million are already on the table for the Mexican star.
Rumors have been circulating about a proposed April date for Marquez and, most recently, 23-year-old Jessie Vargas (21-0, 9 KOs) has been mentioned as a leading candidate for the big-ticket tune-up. It still remains to be seen, however, whether Marquez will share the bill on a split-site pay-per-view with Manny Pacquiao, as rumored, or whether the future hall of famer will be featured in his own stand-alone date.
Marquez, who will be 40 in August, would then move on to a fifth bout with arch-rival, Pacquiao.
-- Former WBC middleweight titlist, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KOs), reportedly reached out to Hall of Fame trainer, Ignacio "Nacho" Beristain to help him get back on track after his loss to Sergio Martinez last September.
By his public response, though, Beristain, who currently trains Juan Manuel Marquez and has had a hand in the careers of several high-profile Mexican fighters, seems more insulted by the offer than tempted by the possibility.
"I Charge to train, we have spoken about an offer, I can't speak about the money, but I can say it was a miserable offer," Beristain told Fox Sports Latino.
Trainer, Robert Garcia, has also confirmed that he has been contacted by Chavez Jr. and appears much closer to accepting the offer, saying that he is just "one phone call away" from closing the deal.
-- British promoter, Frank Warren, has announced that his fighter, WBO lightweight titlist, Ricky Burns (35-2, 10 KOs), will face IBF lightweight champ, Miguel Vazquez (33-3, 13 KOs) on a March 16 show at the Wembley Arena in London.
Vazquez, a native of Guadalajara, Jalisco with five defenses under his belt, has spent the last couple of months calling out WBC 135 lb. champ, Adrien Broner, but seems ready to take this somewhat lateral move first.
By all accounts, the winner of Burns-Vazquez would then move on to a Broner bout, but that remains to be seen in the case of a Burns win.
-- A bout featuring two of Mexico's most distinguished lighter-weight fighters is close to being a done deal as Edgar Sosa vs. Ulises Solis has been tentatively set for a March 9 date.
Sosa (47-7, 28 KOs) was a long-reigning WBC junior flyweight titlist and is currently the WBC's silver flyweight champion. Solis (35-2-3, 22 KOs) was also a long-reigning junior flyweight champ with two reigns as IBF titlist. This will be Solis' second fight since returning from a 15-month layoff due to injuries reportedly sustained in a street fight with Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.
-- A purse bid is planned for the right to promote a WBC junior featherweight title bout between defending champ, Abner Mares and Victor Terrazas.
Mares (25-0-1, 13 KOs) has said time and time again that he'd like to face either Nonito Donaire or Guillermo Rigondeaux in title unification bouts. However, seeing that Mares is promoted by Golden Boy and both Donaire and Rigondeaux are with promotional rival, Top Rank, the likelihood of either fight happening is slim.
Terrazas (36-2-1, 21 KOs), a 29-year-old from Guadalajara, is a solid enough fighter and certainly fits into the "best of the rest" category in the 122 lb. division. His career highlights so far feature a unanimous decision win over Fernando Montiel in 2011 and a split decision over Nehomar Cermeno earlier that same year.
-- Former two-time middleweight title challenger, Marco Antonio Rubio (56-6-1, 49 KOs), has been given the no. 1 spot in the WBO's middleweight rankings. This makes the 32-year-old veteran from Torreon, Coahuila the mandatory opponent for the upcoming Peter Quillin-Fernando Guerrero world title clash on February 9.
Rubio was defeated in 2009 via ninth round retirement in a bid for Kelly Pavlik's WBO and WBC titles and two years later was beaten by unanimous decision in a spirited effort for Julio Cesar Chavez's WBC belt.