Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Rangers talk with Shohei Otani

Newberg Report has an article about it. If you guys aren't already signed up for the Newberg Report, you should be, it is great writing and info on the Rangers. www.newbergreport.com

Anyways, this kid is being talked about as the next big thing coming out of Japan. He is 18 years old, and hits 99-101 on the radar gun. Texas, Boston, and LAD seem to be the 3 front runners for his services. Hopefully our success with Yu will sway him this way.

vCash
    I hope we get this kid, we could put him properly through the system before Japanese teams weaken his skills like with Darvish.

vCash
    The big problem is the new international cap. Hopefully our scouting department can convince this kid our 2.9 million is worth more than the other teams.

vCash
    Hopefully Yu, Koji, and Yoshi give him a call and tell him that the Rangers are the bee's knees.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    Hopefully Yu, Koji, and Yoshi give him a call and tell him that the Rangers are the bee's knees.
    The cat's meow.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    Hope we can get this kid. It would be interesting to see a great Japanese player being built through a MLB system especially ours with Nolan and Mike and Greg Maddux.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    The big problem is the new international cap. Hopefully our scouting department can convince this kid our 2.9 million is worth more than the other teams.
    Havent most teams spent a chunk of that already?

vCash
    This kid isn't Yu Darvish. He throws hard, sure, but its a straight fastball and his mechanics are messy. He's Neftali Feliz to me with lower value because he is a couple of years behind on development. A solid prospect but not a can't miss talent like Darvish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    This kid isn't Yu Darvish. He throws hard, sure, but its a straight fastball and his mechanics are messy. He's Neftali Feliz to me with lower value because he is a couple of years behind on development. A solid prospect but not a can't miss talent like Darvish.
    I dont think anyone is saying he is a cant miss prospect. It is just said that he is one of the best arms to come out of high school in Japan in a long time. But if he can develop in the MLB he might be able to have a high ceiling.

vCash
    i'd like to see this happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    I will admit I am not an expert on how the new international cap works. However, it appears that it has loop holes in it. What prevents a team from going way over the cap for one player? Sure there is a penalty, but if this kid is as good as the hype - so what if there is a tax penalty. Not only is there a tax penalty, but if you exceed the cap you forfeit your cap for the following year. Once again, so what? Would you rather get the best player every other year, or be forced to get so-so international players every year. If this guy is that good, I don't mind having the Rangers handcuffed the following year.

Someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding the penalty factors.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers:24074938
    I will admit I am not an expert on how the new international cap works. However, it appears that it has loop holes in it. What prevents a team from going way over the cap for one player? Sure there is a penalty, but if this kid is as good as the hype - so what if there is a tax penalty. Not only is there a tax penalty, but if you exceed the cap you forfeit your cap for the following year. Once again, so what? Would you rather get the best player every other year, or be forced to get so-so international players every year. If this guy is that good, I don't mind having the Rangers handcuffed the following year.

Someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding the penalty factors.
    I'm not sure on the exact details, but you also lose draft pick(s) due to exceeding the cap.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzik View Post
    I'm not sure on the exact details, but you also lose draft pick(s) due to exceeding the cap.
    You are correct. I found the details on the penalties:

Under the new rules, teams that exceed the signing budget by up to 5 percent will pay a 75 percent tax on the overage. Teams that go over by 5-10 percent will pay the same tax and lose a first-round pick in the next year's draft. Teams that go over by 10-15 percent will pay a 100 percent tax and lose a first- and second-round pick. And finally, teams that go over by more than 15 percent will pay the 100 percent tax and lose their first-round picks in the next two drafts.

Pretty steep...

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    I dont think I would want to lose a 1st round pick over a Japanese pitcher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    It would be good to get a guy with Feliz's velocity minus the "I blew the WS and may never get over it" mental block.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast