Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Brandon Nimmo Prospect Profile

"Tall, athletic frame with loads of bat speed and quick wrists. Has everyday regular potential. He can stick in center"

-Dave Gershman

"Nimmo has some swing and miss in his game. His pre-swings action are much calmer now than they were in his pre-draft scouting videos, but he still has his hands very high which can lead to a long path to the ball. He's especially vulnerable to soft stuff away and left-handed pitching in general, though he otherwise commands the strike zone well. Has enough bat speed to compensate for the deficiencies elsewhere in the swing, but projects as .270 type guy for me. Pitch recognition skills suggest he will continue to draw walks as he moves up the ladder."

"Nimmo can barrel a baseball. Right now it's mostly gap power to all fields, but that should develop as he ages/fills out."

"A lot of people I talked to project him in a corner, and while I think it's possible he stays in center, it's far from a lock."

"Nimmo is one of the best position prospects I saw in the NYPL league this year. There is some question about his ultimate position, but if he can stay in center field, he projects as an above-average centerfielder. If he loses speed of fails to develop better instincts, he will likely have to move to left field where he's more a solid-average type guy. I see a peak line in the neighborhood of .270/.350/.420 with 15-20 home runs."

-Jeffrey Paternostro

Statistical Analysis

As mentioned above, Nimmo flashed more gap power than home run power in 2012, hitting just six home runs, but 20 doubles and two triples. His ISO was .157 -- good for ninth in the league -- and he was the only player in the top 20 who was under 20 years old.

Nimmo showed gap power, but as Paternostro mentioned above, he has an advanced approach at the plate. He walked in 14.5% of his PAs in the NYPL this year, facing older and more advanced pitching. Nimmo does not come without his flaws, however, as he only posted a meager .594 OPS vs lefties. This flaw is going to be something to watch, as if he fails to figure out lefties, that could severely limit his value and make him a platoon player.

An important factor (as I alluded to above) in looking at minor league performance is age, and Nimmo is no exception. Of the 14 players aged 19 or younger in his league (minimum 200 PAs), Nimmo finished third in OPS, second in line-drive percentage, and first in ISO.

Overall Summary

Nimmo is the kind of prospect that the Mets system has not seen in a while, presenting a lot of upside coupled with a lot of risk. It will be interesting to watch if he can overcome his deficiencies and become a starting center fielder in the majors, or even a platoon bat. One thing is sure for Mets fans, there is certainly reason to be excited about Brandon Nimmo.
    http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...etric-analysis

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    That's really good to see he is showing that much power at a very young age.

It should be very interesting to see how he progresses going forward.

vCash
    A peak line of .270/.350/.420? They think that's the best he can do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I'd be disappointed if that's where he peaked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Yeah I'd say his peak is .270/.370/.450. That isn't unreasonable.

He has a lot of work to do to get there, but he has so much time.

vCash
    Granted, that is just one scout's opinion, but limited power potential, struggles against lefties, and the fact that he's unlikely to stick in CF combines for a pretty underwhelming prospect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Granted, that is just one scout's opinion, but limited power potential, struggles against lefties, and the fact that he's unlikely to stick in CF combines for a pretty underwhelming prospect.
    He's only 19 years old.

How is his power potential limited? He had some of the best power numbers in the league and he was one of the youngest. His power won't peak until his late 20's, but it's nice that he is showing some already.

vCash
    Yeah i don't think they can get a full handle on a guy who hasn't gotten past A- ball yet.

He's very raw, very young, and should have considerable time to continually develop.

vCash
    He's only 19 years old.

How is his power potential limited? He had some of the best power numbers in the league and he was one of the youngest. His power won't peak until his late 20's, but it's nice that he is showing some already.
    By "limited," I mean that he'll never be a 30+ HR guy. So not bad power, but if his ceiling is a .270/.350/.450 player in RF, that's really not all that great of a ceiling for such a raw kid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    By "limited," I mean that he'll never be a 30+ HR guy. So not bad power, but if his ceiling is a .270/.350/.450 player in RF, that's really not all that great of a ceiling for such a raw kid.
    You can't possibly know that. It's not very likely sure, but to say he can't is wrong. No one though Josh Reddick would hit 30+ HR and he did.

You are also assuming he will never improve vs. LHP, he has time to do that.

And I'd take an .800 OPS plus defender in RF or LF.

vCash
    Only 15-20 HR's? I thought he was supposed have solid power. If he sticks in CF that's perfect, but if he has to move to a corner spot, those are very underwhelming numbers for a guy we are supposed to be excited about.
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    The possible high OBP and overall tools get me excited.

vCash
    I was kinda hoping he would be a .280-.300 20-25 Hr 20-25 Sb guy with a high OBP to boot.

Hopefully this scout is wrong cause this scouts peek line on him is very underwhelming.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    .280 20 HR with high OBP seems reasonable. The speed reports weren't good though from what I heard so that's a little disappointing.

vCash
    I totally forgot we even had him, then got really excited because he's looking like he's going to be a very productive player. We need more guys like him in our farm system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast