Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you

vCash
    Yeah it's one thing to try and pinpoint who the Browns will be selecting but discussing different players is certainly reasonable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttackJack View Post
    I think no matter what, the team needs to focus on Defense and setting themselves up to be able to make trades to get Clowney when he comes out of S Carolina after his junior year.

Cooper needs to stay in the lineup, he has what, 6 receptions and 6 first downs? Gordon will be #1 receiver and Little showed his potential on Sunday...WR may not be the weakest link anymore.

Browns top priorities, IMO, is FS, OLB, DLINE, OG
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruzor12 View Post
    Yeah, Clowney is a beast. I think defense is definitely a must. I would maybe take a WR in mid-late rounds just for some competition, but I think OLB is top need. Mine would be as follows: COACH (couldn't resist), OLB, FS, CB, OG, DLINE

If we do get one of top picks, hope situation arises where we can trade down to someone that wants QB. Jarvis Jones is a name that sticks out to me. Haven't seen him all that much, any of you guys seen him play? I heard he was pretty good against South Carolina. Otto- like your idea of having an area to talk about college football players that people notice. WAY to early for Mock Drafts
    Well one thing should be clear to Banner/Haslam and whoever they bring in next year and that is the needs of this team in the offseason. It seems that in no particular order every Browns fan that I know states the same sentiments in that the team needs a CB, FS, OLB, OG, and pass rushing DE.

I like Clowney a lot but I hope I do not see him on the Cleveland Browns and the reasoning for that is that he is without question the #1 overall pick in the 2014 draft unless an injury occurs in the next year and half and that will mean that the Browns did not grow at all in 2013. I am hoping that they are at least in the middle say 16-22 range in 2014 neglating the ability to get Clowney. Now if they get the #1 pick in 2013 and parlay that into a 2014 1st round pick from a team who knows where that team would pick and if they could possibly trade the 2 #1's at that point to get up to get Clowney. But that is too far down the road for even my own imagination.

vCash
    This is my first time posting in the Browns forum. Don't let the name fool ya, I lived in Ironton as a kid and have been a Browns fan for years.

Me and my dad had this same discussion during the game last week. He thinks that Weeden is going be a stud, while I do not see it. My hope is that Barkley's early year was a fluke and now he is getting healthy and last week was more of a picture of who he really is. he was like 19 for 20. That's impressive even if it is against Colorado. I would say take a QB or trade down. Those are the only options I see. This is going to be a weak draft, so I would not waste a pick on top 5 talent, when we could get extra picks. I'd love a tackle to play right side to book end with Thomas

vCash
    This doesn't look to be the strongest draft at this point, at least not so much at the playmaker positions but there are a few defensive position groups that are stacked with talent. All along the defensive line there are some really good prospects. I really like the two LSU defensive ends, different players all together but both stand out constantly. The secondary players are strong as well. Plenty of big, strong corners and some good ball hawking safeties.

If the Browns are able to get another blue-chipper either on their d-line or in the secondary they will have quite the roster of talented young players.

vCash
    I don't really see why people want to throw the towel in on Weeden this year, especially with how the QBs coming out aren't that stellar and have lots of flaws.

Since Week 2 Weeden is 142 for 237. That is a 60% completion percentage. Thrown for 1665 yards, good for 277.5 per game. He is over 7 yards per attempt, and at 11.7 per completion. He has thrown 9 TDs to only 6 INTs. His passer rating also jumps to 83.4. All of this if you take out Week 1 where the entire offense looked in over their heads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    This is my first time posting in the Browns forum. Don't let the name fool ya, I lived in Ironton as a kid and have been a Browns fan for years.

Me and my dad had this same discussion during the game last week. He thinks that Weeden is going be a stud, while I do not see it. My hope is that Barkley's early year was a fluke and now he is getting healthy and last week was more of a picture of who he really is. he was like 19 for 20. That's impressive even if it is against Colorado. I would say take a QB or trade down. Those are the only options I see. This is going to be a weak draft, so I would not waste a pick on top 5 talent, when we could get extra picks. I'd love a tackle to play right side to book end with Thomas
    Mitchell Schwartz has been very good lately. He's graded out by a lot of people as a top 10 RT thus far. No reason at all to displace him.

As far as Weeden goes he's certainly talented enough and is becoming comfortable enough to lead our team. I understand the age issue, I harped on it before the draft, but it's an interesting dynamic. While he's 29, his body, football wise at least, is relatively young. Obviously he didn't take any hits playing baseball and it was extremely rare for him to be touched at Ok St. so from that point of view he's still fresh. However, I don't think we know how much of a toll pitching took on his arm. Obviously he still throws with a high velocity but who knows when he'll start to lose it. Really going to be interesting to track these next 5-10 years.

vCash
    Weeden isn't the problem. He is actually catching on to the professional game quite quickly. He has been getting some decent pass protection the last couple of games and is making far better decisions. If they ever decided to run the ball more teams might not be looking for a pass on every play. You also have to factor in that the Browns lead the league in dropped passes with 25. That could easily be another 200 to 250 yards and a couple more TD passes for him.

I would be disappointed if Haslem and Banner decided to start over again at QB but I would understand that they may want their own guy. However, do I see Barkley, Geno or any of these other prospects as a major upgrade over Weeden? Hard to say. Barkley was exposed against Stanford and Geno didn't look great the last couple weeks.

My thinking is that Weeden has potential to be in the range of 11th - 15th best QB in the NFL in the next 3-4 years which coupled with a strong running game can still win you a lot of football games. Think more along the lines of Big Ben, Flacco and Dalton and not Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Keep Weeden and try to develop a young guy behind him. True he is 29 now but they could easily get another 5 or 6 years out of him. Worry about a replacement in a couple years.

vCash
    I agree with everything you just said. What I'm curious about watching with Weeden though is when he starts to show signs of decline. Like I said, football wise, he's very fresh. He's barely been hit at all over the last 10 years. Now, how much wear and tear is on his arm from pitching is to be seen. I honestly think he could give us 8 years of very solid play which should thrill Browns fans.

vCash
    I think we can honestly say that the Browns are in a position where best player available can be taken and it would be ok. Excluding Qb and Rb. I didn't like the Weeden pick but he has slowly started to win my approval. TRich....man I can't wait to see what this guy looks like after a healthy off season.

Other than that improvement can be made everywhere.

I've heard jarvis jones' name mentioned a lot and have heard comparisons of him to Von Miller. A player who can play de and outside backer as well.

Manti Tao is another person I would consider if we were picking in the 6-15 range.

vCash
    I don't get how anyone can talk about QB's being an option in the 2013 draft when you watch the Brownies Defense week in and week out. I know that this team has had some injuries and suspension issues but good lord they still need a lot on that side of the ball and with the upcoming draft being stocked with higher end prospects on the D' side if they do not obtain a freak rushing DE, or a freak rushing OLB, or a shutdown Corner, or a play making ball hawk Safety with their first pick then I am going to be extremely upset. Sign me up for Jarvis Jones, Mingo, Montgomery, the "Germanator", or Dee Miliner and I will be very happy with anyone of those with the first round pick.

Browns have their QB I believe in Weeden for at least the end of the 2013 season as if he doesn't get this team to 7-9 or 8-8 next year with signs of improvement leading into 2014 then that is the time you start looking at a younger QB of the future. Yes his age is an issue but that shouldn't be a concern for another 4-5 years with the lack of wear and tear his body has experienced from years of not getting hit but only throwing a baseball. He is progressing weekly with a very limited offense, limited run game right now and very suspect and awful play calling, etc. and still throw out the Week 1 stats and is right up there in the top half of QB's this year. The pass deflections can be worked on as well as his reading coverages before the snap but that all comes with experience and getting a feel for the NFL which seems that he improves on each week. I after 7 weeks am not ready to give up on the best QB the Browns have had since they re-entered the league just because there might be a flashier younger name the next year to turn everything over again with that at this point don't look like an improvement over Weeden. Barkley has looked inept at times this year and finally when two teams take away the deep option from Geno and he cant connect on his underneath, immediate routes he has been very exposed. Tyler Wilson IMO is the best looking QB in this draft and you can see how much he means to that Arkansas team from when he went down.

Give Weeden his ample time and he might not be a top 5 or top 10 QB stat wise but I believe he can lead this team to the playoffs if they continue to build the quality of players and quality of depth around him. I feel finally confident that I can say this about a QB and not second guess myself (Like I did with Colt because he cant do half the things Weeds can with a football and we should all see this by now).

vCash

Thumbs up

I agree Otto. Defense.,Defense,Defense. We really do need help with the pass rush and anothe CB and FS. We can move on with our WR's we have right now. I would not be opposed to another guard or two either, but later in the draft. I kind of want to see Ryan Miller play a few snaps to see his frame and style against real competition. I do like Greco. He does a decent job. I would not mind another later round TE as well (a run blocking TE).
    Here's to the Future Men!!!
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    I don't get how anyone can talk about QB's being an option in the 2013 draft when you watch the Brownies Defense week in and week out. I know that this team has had some injuries and suspension issues but good lord they still need a lot on that side of the ball and with the upcoming draft being stocked with higher end prospects on the D' side if they do not obtain a freak rushing DE, or a freak rushing OLB, or a shutdown Corner, or a play making ball hawk Safety with their first pick then I am going to be extremely upset. Sign me up for Jarvis Jones, Mingo, Montgomery, the "Germanator", or Dee Miliner and I will be very happy with anyone of those with the first round pick.

Browns have their QB I believe in Weeden for at least the end of the 2013 season as if he doesn't get this team to 7-9 or 8-8 next year with signs of improvement leading into 2014 then that is the time you start looking at a younger QB of the future. Yes his age is an issue but that shouldn't be a concern for another 4-5 years with the lack of wear and tear his body has experienced from years of not getting hit but only throwing a baseball. He is progressing weekly with a very limited offense, limited run game right now and very suspect and awful play calling, etc. and still throw out the Week 1 stats and is right up there in the top half of QB's this year. The pass deflections can be worked on as well as his reading coverages before the snap but that all comes with experience and getting a feel for the NFL which seems that he improves on each week. I after 7 weeks am not ready to give up on the best QB the Browns have had since they re-entered the league just because there might be a flashier younger name the next year to turn everything over again with that at this point don't look like an improvement over Weeden. Barkley has looked inept at times this year and finally when two teams take away the deep option from Geno and he cant connect on his underneath, immediate routes he has been very exposed. Tyler Wilson IMO is the best looking QB in this draft and you can see how much he means to that Arkansas team from when he went down.

Give Weeden his ample time and he might not be a top 5 or top 10 QB stat wise but I believe he can lead this team to the playoffs if they continue to build the quality of players and quality of depth around him. I feel finally confident that I can say this about a QB and not second guess myself (Like I did with Colt because he cant do half the things Weeds can with a football and we should all see this by now).
    Couldn't have said it better. Having a top flight pass rushing DE would really free up Sheard from getting extra attention. That is the last missing piece to the DL. We have 2 very good DTs when healthy and the two rooks look like they are great backups to have. Then you have Sheard on one side, who had good stats his rookie year, but now is getting all the attention. Jauron doesn't like to blitz unless he absolutely has to, like in the Philly game, so getting a stud DE to apply pressure would go a long way in getting pressure with only sending 4 guys. I know Jauron probably won't be back, but that would be huge for whoever the new DC is.

The other main addition that could be made is a 2nd CB. Haden is a lockdown CB. The ability to put a 2nd CB opposite him would be incredible. It would go a long way in limiting the passing game and also allow Ward to creep down into the box more often to help with the run game. It would also help give the DL more time to get to the QB.

vCash
    Weeden has played very well the last few weeks and really if you take away the eagles game he is having a good season.

If we draft in the top 3 i would not mind trading back and getting more picks. But I want a pass rusher number 1, then a corner.

With weeden playing well im ok with Little, Jordon, travis, cooper and mass at WR for now because of bigger issues.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosar4president View Post
    I agree Otto. Defense.,Defense,Defense. We really do need help with the pass rush and anothe CB and FS. We can move on with our WR's we have right now. I would not be opposed to another guard or two either, but later in the draft. I kind of want to see Ryan Miller play a few snaps to see his frame and style against real competition. I do like Greco. He does a decent job. I would not mind another later round TE as well (a run blocking TE).
    Here's to the Future Men!!!
    Quite a Fill In

For the second straight week, left guard John Greco was very impressive starting in place of Jason Pinkston. With Pinkston still hospitalized with blood clots in his lungs, Greco (+5.1) filled in and was the highest-graded Browns player in the game. Greco was a beast in the run game, and got the better of defensive tackle Antonio Johnson on numerous plays. With running back Trent Richardson leaving the game early with an injury, Browns running backs struggled to find room to run. However, they did find some success running behind Greco, to average 5.2 yards per carry. He was also steady in pass protection, and didn’t allow a single hurry, hit or sack. With Pinkston now on injured reserve Browns fans should be confident that they won’t see a drop off in performance at left guard — in fact, if these performances improve they’ll have one of the in-form guards in the league stationed next to Joe Thomas.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-colts-week-7/

Thought I would add this as I have seen that Greco in the last two weeks has been rated out by PFF the #1 Guard in run blocking. I don't even try to understand how they get all of their numbers but I think if the rest of the line can stay healthy all year that the O-Line could be a really nice building block for this team. If Pinkston comes back healthy next year then I think they will be ok with him probably replacing Lauvao and keeping him for depth but if he doesn't then they definately need to look at adding a Guard but I would do that in FA.

Also with the WR talk I have seen over the past couple comments, I really don't think they need to go find a #1 WR in the draft. I think they need to find a veteran WR in FA or in a trade to come in and help the youngsters out. Cribbs more than likely will be gone after this year in his FA year with how Banners rep apparently is so that is going to leave a very young WR core especially if MoMass isn't brought back either which right now he shouldn't be just based on not being able to stay on the field. I would love the team to bring on Greg Jennings, yes he has injury history, but he is a veteran that is still under 30 and I think could really help the young WR's with route trees and just becoming more professional. Malcolm Floyd would be my plan B.

vCash
    I can't wait for Benjamin to get healthy again. He and Gordon seem to provide a potential nightmare for defenses. Benjamin's size leads you to think his natural spot would be in the slot but he is dangerous on the outside. Moving these two as well as Greg Little around and I think there is a good future in the receiver group. Wasn't so optimistic going into camp but Gordon and Benjamin have impressed so far.

I'd like to see them at to the TE group going forward. Cameron is coming along nicely but we haven't seen a lot out of either Ben Watson or Alex Smith. With Cameron being the athletic pass catching TE I'd like to see them add a TE that could stay in-line and block for Richardson.

I really like the Michigan State junior Dion Sims if he decides to come out. At 6'5" and 285 lbs. he plays like a 3rd tackle. He's a beastly run blocker sealing edges for Le'Veon Bell all season and was a player Kirk Cousins liked to look for in the red zone. Perfect fit in the AFC North in my opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast