Thread: Would you

vCash
    Otto... that is hilarious!!!

vCash
    Sure is.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Thought I would add this as I have seen that Greco in the last two weeks has been rated out by PFF the #1 Guard in run blocking. I don't even try to understand how they get all of their numbers but I think if the rest of the line can stay healthy all year that the O-Line could be a really nice building block for this team. If Pinkston comes back healthy next year then I think they will be ok with him probably replacing Lauvao and keeping him for depth but if he doesn't then they definately need to look at adding a Guard but I would do that in FA.

Also with the WR talk I have seen over the past couple comments, I really don't think they need to go find a #1 WR in the draft. I think they need to find a veteran WR in FA or in a trade to come in and help the youngsters out. Cribbs more than likely will be gone after this year in his FA year with how Banners rep apparently is so that is going to leave a very young WR core especially if MoMass isn't brought back either which right now he shouldn't be just based on not being able to stay on the field. I would love the team to bring on Greg Jennings, yes he has injury history, but he is a veteran that is still under 30 and I think could really help the young WR's with route trees and just becoming more professional. Malcolm Floyd would be my plan B.
    It is a very tedious process. I was a Center in HS until I dislocated my ankle playing basketball one year and then pinched my sciatic nerve in a car accident the next year. Both happened in the the off-season but I lost my spot to someone else. What the coaches came up with was me being a utility lineman. The starters would start and then the 2nd series I would take over at RT, next series at RG, and so on down the line. Luckily I was the only one of the OLmen that knew every blocking assignment for every play. Hell, one game I even got a series at TE when we went Jumbo due to an injury to the TE.

Knowing all that, you go play by play, position by position seeing if they engaged their defender and if they got push. You look at any pressures, hurries, sacks, TFL given up. Even if you were backside and away from everything and didn't get enough push or get a good enough turn on your guy we would get deductions. One thing that they look at is also the YPC when the RB runs to your hole. To break down just one team's OL can take a substantial amount of time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    I don't get how anyone can talk about QB's being an option in the 2013 draft when you watch the Brownies Defense week in and week out. I know that this team has had some injuries and suspension issues but good lord they still need a lot on that side of the ball and with the upcoming draft being stocked with higher end prospects on the D' side if they do not obtain a freak rushing DE, or a freak rushing OLB, or a shutdown Corner, or a play making ball hawk Safety with their first pick then I am going to be extremely upset. Sign me up for Jarvis Jones, Mingo, Montgomery, the "Germanator", or Dee Miliner and I will be very happy with anyone of those with the first round pick.

Browns have their QB I believe in Weeden for at least the end of the 2013 season as if he doesn't get this team to 7-9 or 8-8 next year with signs of improvement leading into 2014 then that is the time you start looking at a younger QB of the future. Yes his age is an issue but that shouldn't be a concern for another 4-5 years with the lack of wear and tear his body has experienced from years of not getting hit but only throwing a baseball. He is progressing weekly with a very limited offense, limited run game right now and very suspect and awful play calling, etc. and still throw out the Week 1 stats and is right up there in the top half of QB's this year. The pass deflections can be worked on as well as his reading coverages before the snap but that all comes with experience and getting a feel for the NFL which seems that he improves on each week. I after 7 weeks am not ready to give up on the best QB the Browns have had since they re-entered the league just because there might be a flashier younger name the next year to turn everything over again with that at this point don't look like an improvement over Weeden. Barkley has looked inept at times this year and finally when two teams take away the deep option from Geno and he cant connect on his underneath, immediate routes he has been very exposed. Tyler Wilson IMO is the best looking QB in this draft and you can see how much he means to that Arkansas team from when he went down.

Give Weeden his ample time and he might not be a top 5 or top 10 QB stat wise but I believe he can lead this team to the playoffs if they continue to build the quality of players and quality of depth around him. I feel finally confident that I can say this about a QB and not second guess myself (Like I did with Colt because he cant do half the things Weeds can with a football and we should all see this by now).
    While you may not agree with drafting a QB, I do not see how you could not even understand why someone would ask the question. I think that the Colts were brilliant in how they built (while they got lucky for sure, no pun intended). Their offense is set to build together for years. Now, keep drafting and going after free agents on defense. It is a great strategy.

The question on QB is- do you see any of the guys in this draft class as a franchise stud. If so, they come by every once in a while. When one is available, you get them. If Wheeden led them to a 6 win season, and then they decided to upgrade, that can set you back again for years. Just look at the disaster in Jacksonville. Gabbert is hideous. They will have to replace a top 10 pick with another pick this year. 2 years, having to draft two top 10 QBs. So, it really comes down to- do you see Wheeden as a stud, and do you see any of the guys in this draft Barkley, Klein, Landry, as studs (I think Geno Smith is exposed). If not, you go DE, because they are great high draft picks when they turn out. But if the Colts were willing to cut Peyton to maximize their draft position, then people should with Wheeden. Unless, again, they are convinced that he is a stud. Mediocre does not do it, unless you are great on defense and other skill positions, which we are not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    While you may not agree with drafting a QB, I do not see how you could not even understand why someone would ask the question. I think that the Colts were brilliant in how they built (while they got lucky for sure, no pun intended). Their offense is set to build together for years. Now, keep drafting and going after free agents on defense. It is a great strategy.
    So you are comparing us to the Colts? Manning was coming off of multiple neck surgeries, the velocity on his ball has declined, and Andrew Luck was pegged as the best QB to come out since John Elway.

Meanwhile, Weeden is showing to be a very capable QB that can win games for us. He is on pace for over 4000 yards and keeps improving week to week. All of the QBs coming out this year have serious flaws.

So while the Colts had no trust in Manning coming off of a year off due to major medical concerns, we have a QB improving and is playing like a top 20 QB as a rookie. The Colts were able to get Andrew Luck. Who would we get? Barkley? He has been a disappointment this year. Geno? Is able to put up huge numbers with good WRs against practically no defense. When defenses actually decide to show up and put pressure on him he is worse against college defenses than Weeden is against pro defenses.

The only reason to go for a different QB is due to age. But the question is, are you OK with the Richardson pick? If you are you should have no problem with the Weeden pick as they will both have a similar shelf life in the NFL.

vCash
    I'd honestly take the next 6 years of Weeden over reaching for one of the QBs in this draft. None of them strike me as elite and the ones with tools to be elite such as Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, and Tyler Bray all have glaring weaknesses and red flags. As I said earlier, I like Geno Smith, but he's not a guy that strikes me as elite and none of his tools really stand out to me. Barkley would probably look the best right away in the west coast offense but his arm strength really worries me.

None of these QBs are sure things, that has been shown. I really like what we have in Weeden not only as a passer but as a leader. He's more than capable of leading our team. I'd much rather improve the roster around him rather than starting over. It makes no sense to go QB at this time.

vCash
    i agree Melo15. looking at the qb's coming out for this draft class, I would take weeden over all of them! he's getting better every week and his passing totals are actually pretty impressive for a rookie. The browns need to target a veteran WR (mike wallace) and pass rusher (Cliff Avril). yes, big money will be needed for both of them but this team is in a good position to spend a little cash.

vCash
    I think that if the Browns keep it up we will play ourselves right away from Jarvis Jones. I'm ok with that. For some reason I see the Browns picking #7. I don't know why it just flashes in my head. With that pick I think Jones and mingo will be gone. I think we should grab Manti Teo. I know we have some good you d lbs but I think this kid brings that extra something to the table when he plays. Kinda like Haden, how when he returned everyone played a lil bit better.

vCash
    I agree to not drafting another QB.

vCash
    We're in the same boat as you guys honestly. I don't see us going QB if Gabbert keeps being allowed to throw it downfield like he's gotten to do in the last 2 weeks. My only worry as well as you guys, generally when you get a new GM and possibly a new coaching staff, they sometimes want "their guy".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by billyclubdude View Post
    I think that if the Browns keep it up we will play ourselves right away from Jarvis Jones. I'm ok with that. For some reason I see the Browns picking #7. I don't know why it just flashes in my head. With that pick I think Jones and mingo will be gone. I think we should grab Manti Teo. I know we have some good you d lbs but I think this kid brings that extra something to the table when he plays. Kinda like Haden, how when he returned everyone played a lil bit better.
    It should be interesting to see where Jones goes in next years draft. The good thing though is that even if the team plays out of range for Jones there is a very good plethora of Defensive options in next years draft at the top and also the Brownies have a whole at basically every defensive unit where they could go a number of ways if say they are in the 6-14 range which most likely they will be. Someone will take 3 QB's in the top of the draft as it just bound for teams to over reach for guys like Smith, Barkley and Tyler Wilson where some defenders should be falling as well as the big DT's that a lot of teams will like aka Hankins, Nix, and Star.

Bjorn Werner
    Sam Montgomery
    B. Mingo
    Dee Miliner
    Jonathan Banks
    Xavier Rhodes
    Kenny Vacarro
    Tony Jefferson
    Eric Reid
    Last edited by ottograham14; 10-29-2012 at 03:40 PM.

CAN MY DREAMS BECOME MY REALITY?

vCash
    It's got to be either a defensive end or defensive back for the Browns in the 2013 draft. They have loaded up on talent on the offensive side of the ball and those guy will continue to develop. They have some really good players in the front 7 but you can always use another stud on the d-line. But in the secondary the talent level drops off considerably after Joe Haden. I'd like to see them take Sam Montgomery from LSU if he's still on the board.

vCash
    On the right cirumstances I would love to take a 3rd round flyer on Matheu (sp?) from LSU even though he was kick off his team for weed.

vCash
    Right now with us not having a 2nd round pick I wouldn't touch Honey Badger unless we're talking 5th rounder or later. We really need to hit on our 3rd and 4th round picks.

vCash
    True. I just think if he fell into our lap somehow he could be solid with Haden and Ward..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast