I tend to agree that we are in no position to sign Cano to a 10 or 8 year deal for $22 to $25 per yr. But, if we lose him, our chances of winning in the short-term are unlikely and we should probably blow up our entire roster.
1. Cano to Marlins for a package led by Giancarlo Stanton.
2. Sabbathia to Texas for a package of young players headlined by Profar so
we finally get a young shortstop for the future.
3. Granderson and Hughes in a 3 team deal to bring us Justin Upton.
4. Mark Teixeira to Washington for a package of young MLB ready players.
5. Swisher leaves via FA and we take a pick. Save the cash to be applied
6. Soriano leaves via FA and we take a pick. Save the cash to be applied
7 A-Rod is moved with significant salary relief for a bag of balls.
FYI - I realize that no of the above will happen. But, it would be interesting to rid ourselves of all of our long-term salary commitments ala the Boston Red Sox.
A core of Stanton, Profar, J-Upton, and possibly Rendon from the Nats
New York Yankees
Los Angeles Lakers (Jimbaco)
Detroit Lions Draft this man