Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kj244 View Post
    I tend to agree that we are in no position to sign Cano to a 10 or 8 year deal for $22 to $25 per yr. But, if we lose him, our chances of winning in the short-term are unlikely and we should probably blow up our entire roster.

1. Cano to Marlins for a package led by Giancarlo Stanton.
    2. Sabbathia to Texas for a package of young players headlined by Profar so
    we finally get a young shortstop for the future.
    3. Granderson and Hughes in a 3 team deal to bring us Justin Upton.
    4. Mark Teixeira to Washington for a package of young MLB ready players.
    5. Swisher leaves via FA and we take a pick. Save the cash to be applied
    later.
    6. Soriano leaves via FA and we take a pick. Save the cash to be applied
    later.
    7 A-Rod is moved with significant salary relief for a bag of balls.

FYI - I realize that no of the above will happen. But, it would be interesting to rid ourselves of all of our long-term salary commitments ala the Boston Red Sox.
    A core of Stanton, Profar, J-Upton, and possibly Rendon from the Nats
    New York Yankees
    Los Angeles Lakers (Jimbaco)
    Detroit Lions

vCash
    If this is the case, and he's sure he won't budge, TRADE NOW!! And let's be real...no one is taking our long term contracts for some of the best prospects/players in baseball. Other teams have to worry about there own future as well.

I love Cano, but FK THAT!
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUTH-TELLER View Post
    not the best 2B man come playoff time
    He was good the previous two post seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    That's the only person i'd trade Cano for
    Too bad Felix hates the Yankees.
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jojofry View Post
    I like this .. We need to start over...
    Would you be willing to live through a 4-5 yr rebuild?
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Cano is awesome. But, anything more than 5 years is crazy at his age. 32, 33, 34, 35, 36. That's still 3 good years. 2 declining years. However, he'll probably get 8 and/or at least test the open market. They really made a serious mistake not locking him in to an 8 year deal after 2009.

The Yankees really don't have a choice here, except to trade him. Even if they committed to 8 years (which would probably force them to backload the contract to make the 2014 limit), how will this move put them over the top? Offense still will falter in playoffs.

My vote is to blow up the roster.

vCash
    If we do go ten years for him, then we should spend another $10 mil and open up a steroid research facility in DR so that we can get some value from these players in their mid to upper 30s.

vCash
    Why would you "blow up" the roster? Because Cano wants a 10 year deal and the likelihood of him getting traded just went up? You act like this is a make or break move. Well it is not! Someone on PSD once said this, and I have used it multiple times. The Yankees are the one team in baseball who, even NOW, can make zero moves (with the exception of re-signing) and still pretty much be guaranteed a playoff spot. You want to trade that for a couple years of mediocrity? You think trading A-rod ACTUALLY will give us any salary relief? Minimal, if any.

Spoiled, spoiled fans you.

We have some money coming off the books, and with the likelihood of Soriano opting out, that is an additional 14 million. We have a little bit of flexibility to work with regardless of what happens with Cano. Not to mention: A-Rod no trade clause, Tex no trade clause, CC no trade clause, Jeter not going anywhere. Those are our highest paid guys. So how would blowing the roster up with the players we have left necessarily benefit us?

Don't get me wrong, if a team came calling and said we'll take Grandy for whoever, and it's a no brainer then yes, you do it. But there really isn't anyone we can trade who doesn't have a no trade clause that would benefit us salary wise.

Get a new right fielder. Sorry Swish, I love you, but you suck in the postseason and disappear for about 3 months during the season. Catching wise, I would like if we got someone better, but I just read earlier that Martin is the best framer in the game, saving an average of 10 runs a year just by how he frames pitches. And he'll hit you a few dingers every now and then so i guess can't ask for much more.

Remember, the other 29 teams are NOT here to help the Yankees. If Cano wants more then 6-7 years at 20 million per, then he needs to be traded. This needs to be figured out NOW. No doubt we can get a pretty decent haul for him. Something along the lines of 1 Top MLB ready player, 1 Top Prospect, and a very good Double-A type player.
    Last edited by Yankees90.; 10-21-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Honestly, if I'm the Yankees, I offer 5 for 100 to start. I wait for the ridiculous counteroffer/demand, and then I come back with 6 years, and offer a few more million per year. If that won't get it done, then I tell Cano good luck, and thanks for everything...

Anything more than that, and we end up regretting it, big time. Might even end up regretting that long a deal, but I'll live with that.

I know the team doesn't negotiate until deals are up, but I'd float that scenario out there to him now, and see what the reaction is. If that isn't working, deal him now. I like Cano, but committing that money to him makes me very nervous...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kj244 View Post
    I tend to agree that we are in no position to sign Cano to a 10 or 8 year deal for $22 to $25 per yr. But, if we lose him, our chances of winning in the short-term are unlikely and we should probably blow up our entire roster.

1. Cano to Marlins for a package led by Giancarlo Stanton.
    2. Sabbathia to Texas for a package of young players headlined by Profar so
    we finally get a young shortstop for the future.
    3. Granderson and Hughes in a 3 team deal to bring us Justin Upton.
    4. Mark Teixeira to Washington for a package of young MLB ready players.
    5. Swisher leaves via FA and we take a pick. Save the cash to be applied
    later.
    6. Soriano leaves via FA and we take a pick. Save the cash to be applied
    later.
    7 A-Rod is moved with significant salary relief for a bag of balls.

FYI - I realize that no of the above will happen. But, it would be interesting to rid ourselves of all of our long-term salary commitments ala the Boston Red Sox.
    guys, this is not a video game. you cant just ignore no trade clauses. Tex is not going anywhere. CC in not going anywhere.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    cano has a snowballs chance in hell of getting a 10 year deal
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    He may want 10 years but that does not mean anyone will offer him that deal. 31 year old 2B at the end of next season who wants to be locked up until he is 41. Only the most crazy of teams will touch that. Of course he is a Boras client so they will seek the absolute max until the very end.

I have been saying for awhile that the Yanks should work out something this offseason with Cano and if it looks bad let him walk at the end of next season. Yanks would have gotten the best years out of him and would not be locked down in some huge contract. If he wants to rework his deal and sign for 5 with a team option for a 6th that makes more sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    He may want 10 years but that does not mean anyone will offer him that deal. 31 year old 2B at the end of next season who wants to be locked up until he is 41. Only the most crazy of teams will touch that. Of course he is a Boras client so they will seek the absolute max until the very end.

I have been saying for awhile that the Yanks should work out something this offseason with Cano and if it looks bad let him walk at the end of next season. Yanks would have gotten the best years out of him and would not be locked down in some huge contract. If he wants to rework his deal and sign for 5 with a team option for a 6th that makes more sense.
    Instead of letting him walk, wouldn't it make more sense to trade him and get some value back in return?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Instead of letting him walk, wouldn't it make more sense to trade him and get some value back in return?
    This.

vCash
    Trade. Him. Now.
    This guy will be a great player for three or four more years. So, we will be sitting on six or seven payroll burdening, dead years from this guy. Sound familiar?
    He will never be a Yankee icon. He doesn't play with any heart or soul. Does not inspire the players around him.
    Yes, he goes on a couple of regular season tears that are impressive. But mostly he doesn't bother.
    If we are ever to enjoy another dynasty like the late-nineties we need talented young players with heart. Jeter was the heart and soul of that dynasty. His presence inspired all around him.
    Don't know if we'll ever find another Jeter.
    But Cano aint it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post

The Dodgers will give him a 10 year deal, book it!

Eric Berry Strong

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast