5 38.46%
  • West Virginia Mountaineers

8 61.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 8 GT

Week 8 GT

Notable Matchups
    #3 Oregon Ducks @ Arizona State Sun Devils (Thursday @ 9 PM ET)
    #6 LSU Tigers @ #18 Texas A&M Aggies (Saturday @ 12 PM ET)
    #7 South Carolina Gamecocks @ #2 Florida Gators (3:30 PM ET)
    #17 Texas Tech Red Raiders @ #23 TCU Horned Frogs (3:30 PM ET)
    #4 Kansas State Wildcats @ #13 West Virginia Mountaineers (7 PM ET)
    Rest of Week Seven Schedule

Heisman Pundit Update
    1. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia – His team’s rout at the hands of Texas Tech weakens his candidacy somewhat, but not enough to knock him from the top spot. Keep in mind that he still has a ridiculous 25-0 touchdown-to-interception ratio and remains on pace to have 4,542 yards and 50 touchdown passes (with an absurdly-low interception total, maybe even zero) by the time Heisman ballots are due. Those numbers should easily lock down the trophy as long as West Virginia doesn’t collapse. While future games against K-State and Oklahoma are potential pitfalls, they are also opportunities for Smith to strengthen his case. Can he rebound mentally from the debacle in Lubbock in time to come up big this Saturday?

2. Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State – Klein continues to impress and is the most immediate threat to Smith’s Heisman hopes. He’s on pace to finish with 2,158 passing yards, 14 touchdowns, four interceptions, plus 1,030 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns. If Kansas State knocks off West Virginia on the road next week and Klein plays well, he could wrench control of the race away from Smith. Because his numbers are very good, but not overwhelming, it’s likely that K-State will have to go undefeated for him to win the trophy over Smith.

3. Braxton Miller, QB, Ohio State – The argument that Miller is hurt by Ohio State’s probation doesn’t hold a lot of water at this point. He’ll play 12 games before the Heisman vote is due, but so will the other top candidates in this race. As with Klein, Miller’s numbers aren’t out of this world, but they will likely be good enough to be considered Heisman worthy when also paired with an undefeated season. Miller is on pace to have 2,179 passing yards and 19 touchdowns (with seven picks) plus 1,560 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns. Outside of the season-ender againstMichigan, he doesn’t have any spotlight games left in which to make his case, so he’ll need to close out strong to have a shot at the trophy.

4. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M – I’ve always been on record that a freshman will never win the Heisman. I still stand by that notion, but I’m also open to the possibility that I may one day be proven wrong! Manziel looks to me to have the capability to mount a once-in-a-lifetime run at the trophy. ‘Johnny Football’ already has two games of 550-plus yards of total offense this season and he’ll likely end up a 3,000-yard passer and a 1,000-yard rusher in his first campaign–and in the SEC, no less. He is on pace for 48 combined touchdowns on the season, which approximates what the last four Heisman-winning quarterbacks produced. The schedule is set up perfectly for a late charge, as he takes on No. 6 LSU next Saturday and then Alabama on November 10. Call it a long shot, but here it is: Beat LSU and‘Bama and this freshman might win.

Others to watch: De’Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon
    Source: Heisman Pundit

Did you know that at one point Manziel was committed to Oregon at the same time as Marcus Mariota? Ironically, Manziel decided to look at options closer to home when blue chip QB Jerrard Randall committed to Oregon, and Manziel felt like he wouldn't have much of a shot at it. Randall ended up going to LSU, Mariota is Oregon's QB, and Manziel is a stud at A&M. I know that was kind of random, but it kind of relates to steelcityroller's thread about why kids choose to go to schools with loaded positions.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Gimme dat chalk.

Oregon walks away with an easy win, I think LSU stifles A&M, Florida won't lose to USCe at The Swamp, Texas Tech is too much for TCU, and KSU plays defense so I have them over WV.

West Virginia is back home and I seriously doubt their offense plays as clunky as they did against Tech two weeks in a row. Plus Kansas State hasn't been as impressive on the road this season. I like the Mountaineers in a close one.

A&M will give LSU a scare and I think that could be a 4th quarter game. Johnny Manziel has played one legitimate defense all season and granted that was his first college game of his career but it was also by far his least productive. LSU's speed at defensive end allows them to contain mobile quarterbacks as well as any team I've seen this year. That will be a game changer against A&M IMO.

Muschamp is pretty unreliable as far as injury information but if his claim that our starting offensive linemen are back in action for Saturday's game is accurate, I think we'll beat South Carolina. Connor Shaw's track record on the road in the SEC is nowhere near as impressive as what he does at Williams-Brice and Brent Pease just isn't going to let Jeff Driskel lose us a game throwing the ball this year. You can't say the same for Spurrier and Shaw.

Very interested to see who wins the KSU/WVU game. USC is going to crap all over Colorado hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLuver View Post
    Very interested to see who wins the KSU/WVU game. USC is going to crap all over Colorado hopefully
    They will, Colorado is all kinds of awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    West Virginia is back home and I seriously doubt their offense plays as clunky as they did against Tech two weeks in a row. Plus Kansas State hasn't been as impressive on the road this season. I like the Mountaineers in a close one.

A&M will give LSU a scare and I think that could be a 4th quarter game. Johnny Manziel has played one legitimate defense all season and granted that was his first college game of his career but it was also by far his least productive. LSU's speed at defensive end allows them to contain mobile quarterbacks as well as any team I've seen this year. That will be a game changer against A&M IMO.

Muschamp is pretty unreliable as far as injury information but if his claim that our starting offensive linemen are back in action for Saturday's game is accurate, I think we'll beat South Carolina. Connor Shaw's track record on the road in the SEC is nowhere near as impressive as what he does at Williams-Brice and Brent Pease just isn't going to let Jeff Driskel lose us a game throwing the ball this year. You can't say the same for Spurrier and Shaw.
    Oregon should beat Arizona State easily.

I look at that Florida vs Texas A&M game and see Johnny Manziel going off in the 1st half and then Florida figuring them out and shutting it down after halftime. LSU has film and will be ready so he won't go off like he has been this year. Also Texas A&M isn't anywhere near as good defensively.

I got Kansas State over West Virginia because they play football not two-hand touch. I joke with you but seriously when you play with the big boys at some point you have to smack somebody in the mouth and play defense.

I got TCU over Texas Tech by being better coached and just overall better prepared for this game. Also Texas Tech is probably gonna come out a little flat after a big win over WVU.

Florida vs South Carolina is a coin toss IMO

Marcus Mariota

i say florida dominates sc, not necessarily blow them out. it could be a score of 21-10 but the stats are on uf's side. i think they'l come out as hungry and ready as they were against lsu, sc embarrassed them in the swamp 2 years ago and i bet they remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLuver View Post
    USC will be up three touchdowns halfway through the 1st quarter. Colorado is absolutely terrible.

Why in the world is it so important to get the calls right ?
    -7chuck7

Now they are saying that Marcus Lattimore may not be able to play this weekend against Florida.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Now they are saying that Marcus Lattimore may not be able to play this weekend against Florida.
    I've heard he's missed a lot of practice time with a bruised hip. They've got three defensive linemen who probably won't play and Clowney is apparently limited with a foot injury. They've also got the flu bothering some important players (Ace Sanders and Bruce Ellington among others).

I'm still more worried about our own injuries though. We could still be without three starting offensive linemen for that game, regardless of what Muschamp says.

I'll be shocked if Lattimore doesn't play. As far as championships go, National and SEC, Saturday will be South Carolina's season.

Oregon looks damn near unstoppable right now. I know they haven't played any serious threats yet but Washington,Arizona and now ASU, those are all good teams...they beat them by a combined 144-42, 21 of those points against Oregon came against backups. It's impressive that they haven't had a hiccup yet, complete domination so far. I think they have a really good chance at beating whoever they play in the BCS championship game if they were to make it.

LSU will handle A&M easily. The defense is just too good, and the A&M defense has not looked good against good opponents. I'm still going to stand by my LSU-Oregon national title game prediction. LSU can beat Alabama at home, no question in my mind.

I see the Gators taking care of business and beating an overrated Gamecocks team. I was really shocked when the Gamecocks blew out Georgia, because for me personally it came out of nowhere. Florida's D will stifle them just like LSU did last week, and as everyone who watched the game knows it should have been a blowout.

Kansas State and West Virginia...its the big 12, and I always predict their games wrong. It will be high scoring, my gut says Klein and Wildcats take it but who knows.

Looking forward to 3 big games
    LSU VS A&M
    MIAMI VS FSU
    WV VS KSU

Manziel is giving LSU a lot of problems so far

Wow gutsy call by Purdue to run the fake punt deep on their own side of the field

LSU takes the lead boooo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast