Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,204
    vCash
    1500
    Thanks for freeing up that 14 million...

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Springfield IL
    Posts
    2,239
    vCash
    1500
    Glad he was with us this year but he can move on now =)

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    205
    vCash
    1500
    I bet he will. After the numbers he put up this year, he knows he got a big payday coming.
    ON THE CHASE FOR NUMBER 28

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,512
    vCash
    1500
    Yanks should get sourpuss a Mazda as a parting gift.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    that is excellent news!
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    22,772
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by JobaRules26 View Post
    Glad he was with us this year but he can move on now =)
    Absolutely. That money would be more useful in other places.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,878
    vCash
    1500
    hmmm, let's do the math shall we...
    From what I have been able to put up, 2012 salary for the NYY was in the neighborhood of $198 million.
    subtract 14, you get 184... sounds like we are below next years threshold already.
    We just call betances or another rookie up to take his place and we are that much closer to the 2012 goal.

    On top of that, the best closer of a year ago only got ~11 mil... Go ahead Scott... Let's see you get a better than 14 mil elsewhere... PLEASE!!!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    hmmm, let's do the math shall we...
    From what I have been able to put up, 2012 salary for the NYY was in the neighborhood of $198 million.
    subtract 14, you get 184
    ... sounds like we are below next years threshold already.
    We just call betances or another rookie up to take his place and we are that much closer to the 2012 goal.

    On top of that, the best closer of a year ago only got ~11 mil... Go ahead Scott... Let's see you get a better than 14 mil elsewhere... PLEASE!!!
    thats not counting any of the raises and re-signing we need to do. everyones contract doesn't simply stay the same year in and year out
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,734
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    hmmm, let's do the math shall we...
    From what I have been able to put up, 2012 salary for the NYY was in the neighborhood of $198 million.
    subtract 14, you get 184... sounds like we are below next years threshold already.
    We just call betances or another rookie up to take his place and we are that much closer to the 2012 goal.

    On top of that, the best closer of a year ago only got ~11 mil... Go ahead Scott... Let's see you get a better than 14 mil elsewhere... PLEASE!!!
    Math check assuming Soriano opts out:

    2013 payroll:

    A-Rod - 29 (signed)
    Jeter - 17 (signed)
    Cano - 15 (signed)
    Tex - 23 (signed)
    Martin - 7 (he made 7.5 last year and is a FA)
    Gardner - 3 (assumes arbitration increase from 2.8)
    Granderson - 15 (signed)
    Ichiro - 8 (assumes he's re-signed with a pay cut)
    Stewart - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Nunez - 0.5 (league minimum)
    [Jones or his replacement] - 2 (Jones made 2 last year)
    [Ibanez or his replacement] - 2 (Ibanez made 1.1 last year)
    [Chavez or his replacement] - 2 (Chaves made 0.9 last year)
    TOTAL ON POSITION PLAYERS = 124M

    CC - 23 (signed)
    Andy - 10 (assumes re-signs for this amount)
    Kuroda - 12 (he made 10 last year; assumes re-sign with raise)
    Hughes - 5 (assumes arbitration raise from 3.2)
    Nova - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Phelps - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Eppley - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Rapada - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Joba - 2 (assumes arbitration raise from 1.1)
    Logan - 3 (assumes arbitration raise from 1.9)
    Mariano - 15 (assumes he sign for the same as 2012)
    D-Rob - 3 (assumes arbitration raise from 1.6)
    Aardsma - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Pineda - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Burnett - 8 (the Yankees are picking up 1/2 of his 16M)
    TOTAL ON PITCHERS = 84M

    TOTAL PAYROLL = 208M

    To get below 189M in 2014, at least one of the expensive players has to be replaced by someone inexpensive. That means either Granderson is replaced by a cheap option, Andy retires and is replaced by Phelps or Pineda, Mariano retires and is replaced by someone cheaper, etc.
    Last edited by theslick1; 10-24-2012 at 01:35 PM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,942
    vCash
    1500
    I don't see how the yankees can justify giving 7 million dollars to a .200 hitter. His situational hitting is even worse! I'd rather take my chances with Yorvit Torrealba for like a million or maybe mike napoli for 5 or 6 million.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

    - Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,734
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I don't see how the yankees can justify giving 7 million dollars to a .200 hitter. His situational hitting is even worse! I'd rather take my chances with Yorvit Torrealba for like a million or maybe mike napoli for 5 or 6 million.
    Neither Torrealba nor Napoli is cut out to be a full time catcher. Torrealba has never caught more than 112 games in a season (and that was in 2007), and Napoli's high water mark was 96 games back in 2009. Plus, neither guy hits much anymore.

    If they want to go cheap at catcher, they'd be better off letting Chris Stewart catch, but I think they'll bring Martin back.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,112
    vCash
    1500
    Na na na na, na na na na...........HEY HEY HEY....GOODBYEEEEE!!!!!!!!
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees
    63-61



    G: 111 | AVG: .269 | HR: 3| RBI: 32| OBP: .319 | SLG: .322 | wOBA: .290 | wRC: 80

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    650
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JobaRules26 View Post
    Glad he was with us this year but he can move on now =)

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,878
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Math check assuming Soriano opts out:

    2013 payroll:

    A-Rod - 29 (signed)
    Jeter - 17 (signed)
    Cano - 15 (signed)
    Tex - 23 (signed)
    Martin - 7 (he made 7.5 last year and is a FA)
    Gardner - 3 (assumes arbitration increase from 2.8)
    Granderson - 15 (signed)
    Ichiro - 8 (assumes he's re-signed with a pay cut)
    Stewart - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Nunez - 0.5 (league minimum)
    [Jones or his replacement] - 2 (Jones made 2 last year)
    [Ibanez or his replacement] - 2 (Ibanez made 1.1 last year)
    [Chavez or his replacement] - 2 (Chaves made 0.9 last year)
    TOTAL ON POSITION PLAYERS = 124M

    CC - 23 (signed)
    Andy - 10 (assumes re-signs for this amount)
    Kuroda - 12 (he made 10 last year; assumes re-sign with raise)
    Hughes - 5 (assumes arbitration raise from 3.2)
    Nova - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Phelps - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Eppley - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Rapada - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Joba - 2 (assumes arbitration raise from 1.1)
    Logan - 3 (assumes arbitration raise from 1.9)
    Mariano - 15 (assumes he sign for the same as 2012)
    D-Rob - 3 (assumes arbitration raise from 1.6)
    Aardsma - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Pineda - 0.5 (league minimum)
    Burnett - 8 (the Yankees are picking up 1/2 of his 16M)
    TOTAL ON PITCHERS = 84M

    TOTAL PAYROLL = 208M

    To get below 189M in 2014, at least one of the expensive players has to be replaced by someone inexpensive. That means either Granderson is replaced by a cheap option, Andy retires and is replaced by Phelps or Pineda, Mariano retires and is replaced by someone cheaper, etc.

    You are making a large amount of assumptions... and we all know how that ends up...
    Still, there are other things that are not assumptions. The Yanks want to get below 189 mil for the 2014 season. A few knowns enter that mix:

    Doubtful that Andy and Hiroki will be sign for 2014 (~22 mil or so savings)
    Derek's contract appears to drop to 8 mil for 2014... ~9 mil in savings
    Mo is not signed, and if he does what he states, he might not even be around for 2013, let alone 2014... ~15 mil in savings.
    Robbie Cano and Curtis Granderson are both UFA's after 2013. Not speculating on savings, because totally unknown if the Yanks will even try and succeed in signing one or both of them after 2013.
    Burnett becomes a UFA, so his remaining salary is gone too ~8 mil.
    Hughes may be a UFA, and Joba will be as well. Who knows if the Yanks will try to resign or no.
    Soriano could opt out this season, and will be a UFA after this year. ~14 mil


    What is comes down to is this: If the Yanks want to cut the payroll, there are quite a few areas they can do so. Heck, just leaving Pettitte and Kuroda off the list will be huge enough savings to be close... but Robbie and Curtis will command more as well.... We will just have to wait and see.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,878
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by oak2455 View Post
    The Yankees probably will make the qualifying offer, but do have to think about the risk of Soriano taking it and potentially turning from a $14 million setup man to a $15.1 million setup man and also removing the possibility of using those dollars elsewhere.
    The beauty of this system is this. The Yankees will have to make the qualifying offer within 5 days. Soriano will then only have 7 days to either accept or reject the offer. That means that Scott Boras, will have to make a decision in November, which I have never seen him make any decisions until January. He won't be able to play the shop around and if nothing better comes up, take the Qualifying offer.... it is a take it or leave it EARLY deal.

    I would not expect any Boras client to accept the Q-Offers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •