Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Boras: ‘Strong chance’ Soriano will opt out

Scott Boras provided the strongest indication yet his client, Rafael Soriano, will indeed shun his $14 million player option for next season.
    In a conversation with The Post, Boras said he still has to have further conversations with Soriano and the Yankees before finalizing plans. But the Yankees are unlikely to make a long-term offer to the reliever in the next two weeks. That being the case, Boras never firmly said Soriano would opt out, but essentially made a case that logically led to this question: Why wouldn’t he?
    “There is a strong chance that he would have tremendous value as a free agent,” Boras said. The agent cited relative youth (33 in December), a strong walk-year season (40 saves, 2.26 ERA in place of Mariano Rivera) and a deep pool of clubs that could use a closer (big-market teams such as the Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers, Nationals and Giants could be in play) as reasons to test the market.
    Soriano signed a three-year contract through 2013 in which he controlled options for the final two seasons. He has until three days after the World Series to either accept or reject his option. If he rejects, he contractually receives a $1.5 million buyout. The Yankees would then have until five days after the World Series to make a qualifying offer.
    That offer (for the average of the top 125 salaries in the game) will be for about $13.3 million-$13.6 million. Soriano would then have an additional week to decide whether to accept that total or become a free agent. If he chose free agency, the Yankees would get a sandwich draft pick next June between the first and second rounds. But that would hurt Soriano’s marketability because a team that signs him would lose a high draft pick that would be determined by their 2012 record.
    POLL RESULTS: YANKEES FANS WEIGH IN ON ROSTER
    The Yankees probably will re-sign Rivera. But he turns 43 next month and is coming off a serious right knee injury. Thus, they would love to retain Soriano as a safety net. Nevertheless, the Yankees probably would feel better served using Soriano’s money elsewhere and hoping David Robertson, Joba Chamberlain, David Aardsma and whatever they find in the marketplace could back up Rivera.
    Soriano’s worth also is a question. He is not beloved in the industry, having come to the Yankees with a reputation for being distant, moody and self-interested. In addition, many teams have moved away from spending big on a closer. That might only be furthered following Heath Bell’s implosion for Miami after signing a three-year, $27 million pact and Tampa Bay’s ability yet again to construct a superb pen on the relative cheap.
    Soriano would be hunting a multi-year deal that makes it easy to walk away from $12.5 million (the $14 million option minus the $1.5 million buyout). If he feels a weak market, he could accept the Yankees’ qualifying offer, which would turn his $14 million player option into about $15 million (the $1.5 million plus the qualifying offer, which will be at least $13.3 million).
    The Yankees probably will make the qualifying offer, but do have to think about the risk of Soriano taking it and potentially turning from a $14 million setup man to a $15.1 million setup man and also removing the possibility of using those dollars elsewhere.
    joel.sherman@nypost.com

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees...s4kyCW3n5jiZwO

vCash

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    That would be fantastic.

vCash
    ADIOS SORIANO - This will help Yankees cover 114 million Boras and A-FRAUD robbed them of for the next FIVE years. Now let Swisher and Grandy walk.

vCash
    Please leave. Please!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    No need to start a thread every time you read an artice. These multiple threads should all be merged into one. Just saying dude!
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    No surprise with this news.

vCash
    I know everyone hates his contract but I've always like Soriano and I'm going to miss seeing him in Yankee pinstripes. Complain all you want about giving a 3 year, $35 million contract for a setup man but he earned it this year with the job he did filling in for Mo.

That being said, I have no doubts that our bullpen will do more than enough to fill the void of Soriano. I can't wait to watch a late inning trio in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings of Joba, D-Rob and Mo. Also, don't forget we'll have a healthy David Aardsma next year along with Mark Montgomery waiting in the wings down in Triple-A.

The bullpen isn't an area that the Yankees should really have to concern themselves with this offseason. So I hope that Cashman doesn't waste money on some scrub reliever like he has in the past with guys like Latroy Hawkins, Chan Ho Park and Luis Ayala.

vCash
    I love when the 7s are not readable blocking Is a must .....
    Last edited by oak2455; 10-20-2012 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrozansky View Post
    I know everyone hates his contract but I've always like Soriano and I'm going to miss seeing him in Yankee pinstripes. Complain all you want about giving a 3 year, $35 million contract for a setup man but he earned it this year with the job he did filling in for Mo.

That being said, I have no doubts that our bullpen will do more than enough to fill the void of Soriano. I can't wait to watch a late inning trio in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings of Joba, D-Rob and Mo. Also, don't forget we'll have a healthy David Aardsma next year along with Mark Montgomery waiting in the wings down in Triple-A.

The bullpen isn't an area that the Yankees should really have to concern themselves with this offseason. So I hope that Cashman doesn't waste money on some scrub reliever like he has in the past with guys like Latroy Hawkins, Chan Ho Park and Luis Ayala.
    I completely agree, hitting was our main problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    Squibble Squabble

vCash
    Music to my Ears

Goodbye; His Money gone; Swishers Money Gone; then Trade Granderson and Gardner in package deals that Bring In Upton

Sweet
    --Frankie LO---
    --@frankielo--

vCash
    That's some coin we can use on other players!!! Soriano filled the void big time go get your $$$

vCash
    Hopefully, Hank can somehow step in at the least minute and offer him a 10 year deal.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Hopefully, Hank can somehow step in at the least minute and offer him a 10 year deal.
    Lol.

Adios. Boras is helping us? Wow. Sweet.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast