Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Here's what we need to do-

Sign some of these guys. (Marcum, Jair Jurrjens, Dallas Braden, Linstrom)

Trade for Headley (Matusz, Arrieta, Hunter, Hoes, Avery) would all be guys to consider trading- shift the infield to the left.

Trade for Smoak not Kubel (We need a 1B not another DH/ Poor OF). I heard that Smoak can play a good 1B- let Roberts, Davis come off the bench and DH. Try to keep Roberts healthy.

Maybe Davis could play 3B a little too. Any thoughts?

That leaves Reinold, McCloud and Roberson to compete for LF.

vCash
    I would love to sign Marcum or Jurjenns.

I would also love Headley, but SD isn't going to accept spare parts in a trade. If we could convince them Bundy and Manny were untouchable, they would surely ask for Schoop as the centerpiece.

Maybe Schoop, Tillman and Avery would do it. I see Arrieta having little trade value, and I think we value Matusz higher than everyone else. Maybe we could use Matusz/Patton to acquire Michael Morse of the Nats. I read an article saying they need a lefty reliever.

Davis has played third, but he is strongest at first and I know he wants to be a full time player and not a DH this year. Davis had good scouting reports on his defense when he was on Texas, I think he just eneds to see the diamond instead of the batters box all the time.

If we trade for Smoak/Morse, they would surely be sent to DH unless we move Davis to LF and bench McLouth.

vCash
    Don't know how I feel about this... Sounds like Derrek Lee part 2, he could still DH and be productive IMO.

Orioles Interested In Lance Berkman
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 4 at 9:01am CST]
    Lance Berkman said he’s “still a little bit in limbo” as he considers his options for 2013, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. The switch hitting first baseman/designated hitter received two offers before Christmas and hopes to resume discussions with interested teams.

The Rangers have reached out, and the Rays and Red Sox are also interested. Goold adds a third AL East team to the list of Berkman’s suitors: the Baltimore Orioles. It's clear that Berkman has opportunities, but he suggested he’d have to be well-compensated to return for another season.

“If I’m going to play, I’m going to give my heart and soul to the team,” he told the Post-Dispatch. “But if the carrot’s not big enough, the mule isn’t going to want to go.”

Berkman, a Texas native, added that the Rangers have a geographic advantage. His first MLB team, the Astros, could also have interest. But now that the Astros have added Carlos Pena, Houston’s not an ideal fit.

Berkman missed most of the 2012 season because of knee injuries. When healthy he hit .259/.381/.444 in 97 plate appearances for the Cardinals. Moye Sports Associates represents the 14-year MLB veteran, who turns 37 next month.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#6WuQsboIggFgREdr.99

vCash
    I do know how I feel about this:

Orioles, Showalter Progressing Toward Extension
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 4 at 7:45am CST]
    The Orioles could announce a contract extension for manager Buck Showalter as soon as early next week, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports. Owner Peter Angelos will meet with Showalter again today to discuss the manager’s next contract.

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reported last month that the sides were close to a deal. Showalter and Angelos met several times last month, Kubatko reports. If everything goes according to plan, they’ll agree to a multiyear deal within a few days.

The Orioles made their first postseason appearance in 15 years this past season after finishing the regular season with a 93-69 record. Showalter, 56, finished second to A's manager Bob Melvin in the 2012 American League Manager of the Year voting. Now entering his fourth season with Baltimore, Showalter has a record of 1078-1018 in 14 seasons managing at the MLB level.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#6WuQsboIggFgREdr.99

vCash
    The suggested trade for Headley is going to take quite a bit more than what's indicated. The Padres view Headley as the face of their franchise/a foundation player for the club to build on. He'd be, in many ways, similar to Adam Jones is to the Orioles. The Justin Smoak idea, OTOH, does seem to make some sense. The Orioles have exactly what the Mariners are looking for in SS JJ Hardy who is pretty much affordable (a two year deal for just under $ 15 MM).. While trading for Justin Smoak (along with a BP arm, like Carter Capps or Stephen Pryor) would fill two holes, it would delay the move to SS for Manny Machado. Perhaps a straight one for one trade of JJ Hardy for Kyle Seagar would work better for both clubs? They're both exactly .259 hitters.. one a primary 3B and one a primary SS.. Due to the cost, the O's may be asked to supply the 'extra' prospect in this case..

vCash
    I wouldn't trade Hardy fo Smoak straight up. Not even close. JJ Hardy is an MLB regular with an exceptional glove and pop at a power weak position. Smoak is a failed prospect who cannot seem to break through the glass to become a regular. I think any trade where we would get Smoak would be a "change of scenery" trade and it would not require one of our starters. Smaok has trade value, but it is minimal. The M's don;t really need him unless they want to DH him and move Montero to their fulltime catcher, which I do not see happening.

vCash
    Agreed. I think the mlb community has really undervalued Hardy for some reason. Smoak is a throw in, flier type player at this point. If some of the other players mentioned in the post above were in play I think we would have to listen. Honestly, I think Kyle Seagar straight up is a, "No Way" move too. He'd need to have a full season with the same type of production to be worth an All-Star/ Golden Glove SS like Hardy.

The only way is if other prospects were involved. Maybe Smoak, Pryor and Seagar for Hardy and Reinold but I don't understand why Hardy would be on the M's radar- they have a top prospect at SS on his way up (Nick Franklin) and Ryan is very good defensively there as well. I see closer and OF as the two biggest areas of need for the M's . They do seem to have depth at 3B so the Seagar thing may be a possibility.

What about Jim Johnson and Reinold for Seagar, Prior, Paxon, and Smoak? We could move one of our 100 bp arms into the closer role and although I hope they change their minds, I don't think the Os are going to resign Johnson so I think that works.

I think we keep Hardy and move him to 2B. I really have doubts about Brian Roberts's ability to stay on the field.

vCash

The Naughty List

Here's a list of guys I hope we do not get at Baltimore-

Jason Kubel
    Justin Morneau

Who's missing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeydady View Post
    Here's a list of guys I hope we do not get at Baltimore-

Jason Kubel
    Justin Morneau

Who's missing?
    Vernon Wells
    Josh Willingham

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeydady View Post
    Agreed. I think the mlb community has really undervalued Hardy for some reason. Smoak is a throw in, flier type player at this point. If some of the other players mentioned in the post above were in play I think we would have to listen. Honestly, I think Kyle Seagar straight up is a, "No Way" move too. He'd need to have a full season with the same type of production to be worth an All-Star/ Golden Glove SS like Hardy.

The only way is if other prospects were involved. Maybe Smoak, Pryor and Seagar for Hardy and Reinold but I don't understand why Hardy would be on the M's radar- they have a top prospect at SS on his way up (Nick Franklin) and Ryan is very good defensively there as well. I see closer and OF as the two biggest areas of need for the M's . They do seem to have depth at 3B so the Seagar thing may be a possibility.

What about Jim Johnson and Reinold for Seagar, Prior, Paxon, and Smoak? We could move one of our 100 bp arms into the closer role and although I hope they change their minds, I don't think the Os are going to resign Johnson so I think that works.

I think we keep Hardy and move him to 2B. I really have doubts about Brian Roberts's ability to stay on the field.

I don't think the M's would majke that trade. If anybody wants Jim Johnson, it will be a contending team with asemi weak bullpen and they feel Johnson would be the final piece to the puzzle.

They aren't trading James Paxton unless they get someone like Justin Upton or Giancarlo Stanton. They are a rebuilding team and will not mortgage the future for a closer who is about to get paid via arbitration and free agency soon after.

I would be all ears if I was Dan Duquette right now though regarding to trades involving Jim Johnson. I love the guy, but they fact of the matter is, we cannot afford to sign a pitcher who throws an inning every third game to a significant portion of our payroll (10 mill plus a year)

He had 51 saves, and although he hiccupped in the playoffs, he was lights out. His value is at an all time high. We could go out and sign K Rod or someone to a one year deal and throw Strop in the role if the signing falters.

Reimold to SEA could make some sense though. I would rather hold onto him. What about Reimold for Smoak straight up?

vCash
    The Justin Smoak inclusion is really a change of scenery / who cares part of this deal. The Mariners are looking for a veteran SP, ANY SS THAT KNOWS HOW TO PLAY and a lead off hitter. The M's also have some money to spend on at least one of these needs.

w/r to Kyle Seager: he is five years younger, has vastly superior minor league offensive stats compared to JJ Hardy and is at least as good offensively today. Seagar is under team control for five years, Hardy will become a FA in two. Both Seagar & Hardy play premium defensive positions. They're both rated around 3.5 WAR. Using the thought process that the O's would LOVE to move Manny Machado to his natural SS spot where, imho, he'd rival Tulo for the best SS in the game, a fit seems likely. The O's really can't move Manny to SS as long as Hardy is on the team..

w/r to Nick Franklin: He's a 'tweener' type middle infielder. He doesn't have the range or the elite arm to play SS (the M's do have a kid, Miller that does) and his bat is 'just okay' Best guess for him will be an ever accelerating decline in his prospect ranking as he becomes a ML Utility guy or, if he progresses, a starting ML 2B..

The Pryor Paxton Seager Smoak trade suggestion for a closer is pretty bad.. and you know it..

vCash

Rienold for Smoak

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    I don't think the M's would majke that trade. If anybody wants Jim Johnson, it will be a contending team with asemi weak bullpen and they feel Johnson would be the final piece to the puzzle.

They aren't trading James Paxton unless they get someone like Justin Upton or Giancarlo Stanton. They are a rebuilding team and will not mortgage the future for a closer who is about to get paid via arbitration and free agency soon after.

I would be all ears if I was Dan Duquette right now though regarding to trades involving Jim Johnson. I love the guy, but they fact of the matter is, we cannot afford to sign a pitcher who throws an inning every third game to a significant portion of our payroll (10 mill plus a year)

He had 51 saves, and although he hiccupped in the playoffs, he was lights out. His value is at an all time high. We could go out and sign K Rod or someone to a one year deal and throw Strop in the role if the signing falters.

Reimold to SEA could make some sense though. I would rather hold onto him. What about Reimold for Smoak straight up?
    I don't think straight up would work but what about Rienold and some of our bullpen help like Hunter, Arrieta, Ayla, Matuzs, Britton for Seagar and Smoak. I think that would work.

vCash
    Hardy is a much, much, much... better defensive player than Seagar ever hopes to be. He's is younger and plays third but if it comes to being raped by a team to move Manny to short, I think they'd just keep Hardy at short and Manny at 3rd and call it a day. Seagar is younger and under control but at best he one day becomes what hardy is on an average year. Also, Hardy is under control for two yrs with a very good contract. Last time I check SS is much more important than 3B.

PS- As far as WAR- who cares besides Billy Beane's fat assistant in "Money Ball" and Video Gamer Nerds

Paxon was a reach but what about Capps and Pryor. Also, if Franklin is a tweener can he play 2B then would they be willing to move him? I've read a lot of good reviews on him and would definitely be willing to increase the offer for him. Say Smoak and Franklin for Reinold and one or two of those bullpen guys. That would take care off OF and lead off for you guys. Isn't Brandon Ryan a plus defender and really bad at the plate? Actually, Andino is a very good defender who can play SS. He should give your young SS a chance to learn to hit.

vCash

What about these Cuban guys?

Aledmys Diaz and Dariel Alvarez. We need to do something here. These guys are young and have huge upside. They'd definitely add something to our farm system depth. Also, I just read that their contracts would not count against the cap.

Also, anybody hear about this guy Henry Urrutia? The Os signed him last year and waiting to see if they can get him a VESA. Anybody have a scouting report on him?

vCash
    Urrutia, has good skills and some pop. It concerns me though he still can't get into the country.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast