Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

OJ Mayo: "I wanted an opportunity to start in this league. . .position wasn't open"

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...enix-suns.html

He went on to said that the Suns front office told him they were building around Dragic and Dudley. Sounds fishy he might be trying to justify his crappy comments.
    Last edited by mdm692; 10-19-2012 at 01:26 PM.

vCash
    Interesting. Why were we interested if we wouldn't start him? Also, didn't we offer him starter money?

vCash
    I have no idea maybe he realized he made the wrong decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by king4day View Post
    Interesting. Why were we interested if we wouldn't start him? Also, didn't we offer him starter money?
    agree. why would we offer him starter money and then play him off the bench?

i think mdm692 is right, he probably is second-guessing himself, he would've been part of a young rebuilding team

vCash
    I heard we offered him as much as $6mill/per yr: that's definitely starter money.

He was clearly wanting a team to offer him big money and build around him. And obviously no team wanted to do that.

vCash
    I sure hope we're not planning on building around Jared Dudley. He's a 6th man on a good team.

Also I really doubt Mayo wouldn't start over Dudley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntey View Post
    I heard we offered him as much as $6mill/per yr: that's definitely starter money.

He was clearly wanting a team to offer him big money and build around him. And obviously no team wanted to do that.
    Well we would of build around the core of Dragic-Mayo-Beasley but in regards to the money he can't be asking for much when he hasn't done much. He coulda taken the Beasley route and take a decent deal then prove he deserves more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm692 View Post
    Well we would of build around the core of Dragic-Mayo-Beasley but in regards to the money he can't be asking for much when he hasn't done much. He coulda taken the Beasley route and take a decent deal then prove he deserves more.
    While in practice we would have been building around him, the fact that we didn't say 'you are our best player and we're going to buid around you' to him probably put him off coming to PHX.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntey View Post
    While in practice we would have been building around him, the fact that we didn't say 'you are our best player and we're going to buid around you' to him probably put him off coming to PHX.
    That makes no sense regardless though. He went to the Mavs who clearly are just making room to go after CP3 or D12. I'm sure Cuban fed him a bunch of lies and bs but either way no matter how you look at it the situation is as follows.

Phoenix Suns
    -Nearly guaranteed starting SG
    -Decent starter money
    -Chance to prove you are a superstar with no proven star in the roster

Dallas Mavericks
    -The man is and will be Dirk
    -Short fat contract so the Mavs can make room for a true superstar in CP3 or D12
    -Guaranteed starting spot

The only way I see him signing with the Mavs a positive is if he plays like an all-star and then cashes in next off-season on a bigger contract. The problem is what if he sucks? Then he would be stuck with a crappy contract. Either way he passed on us so whatever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm692 View Post
    The only way I see him signing with the Mavs a positive is if he plays like an all-star and then cashes in next off-season on a bigger contract. The problem is what if he sucks? Then he would be stuck with a crappy contract. Either way he passed on us so whatever.
    my thoughts exactly! good riddance to him! not our loss i say

vCash
    I really doubt Mayo would have been handed a starting spot. Gentry is a loyal guy and Dudley was a clearly superior player to Mayo last year. Also Gentry loves spot up shooters. And Dudley has been among the best in the league for 2 years now in that role... and Mayo is god awful in that role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrazbit View Post
    I really doubt Mayo would have been handed a starting spot. Gentry is a loyal guy and Dudley was a clearly superior player to Mayo last year. Also Gentry loves spot up shooters. And Dudley has been among the best in the league for 2 years now in that role... and Mayo is god awful in that role.
    Not handed the starting job, but he would of been up there for consideration. Could of signed here for the 6 million and tried to compete for the starting job. His loss.

I'm more than comfortable with Dudley starting or even Brown. Hold the Mayo

Phoenix Suns
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Arizona Cardinals
    Arizona Diamondbacks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Not handed the starting job, but he would of been up there for consideration. Could of signed here for the 6 million and tried to compete for the starting job. His loss.

I'm more than comfortable with Dudley starting or even Brown. Hold the Mayo
    LMAO! yep! Hold the Mayo!!

vCash
    Mayo can go **** himself for all I care. What a douche.

Machine Gun Kelly!!!!!!

vCash
    Mayo's words aside, he doesn't turn down more money cuz he has a problem with Phoenix. He's using Dallas to be able to start with hopes to get a big contract. It doesn't look like he cares where he plays. If Charlotte, next year, has an opening and offers him 4 years @ 8mil per, I'm sure he jumps on it.