Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    yes an OF full of slap hitters is what this team needs to win, who is driving them in?
    Jeter, Cano, ARod, and Texiera should be doing that..

Or, maybe when the slap hitters get on, steal bases, then the other slap hitters, well I dunno, maybe slap a single through the infield, then they score.

See how easy that was?

Tried to include players that wouldn't break the bank, that would be realistic options, that would maybe actually improve this team. And if you went after one or 2 of these players, then traded away Granderson, would fit right in. None of those guys are costing a ton of money, they could be had. Plus, that would also mean Swisher is no longet here, so his money is off the books as well.

If you don't like my ideas, what would you suggest?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    We're aiming to lead the league in triples next year.
    Well we led in Homers, where did that get us?

Never said this was an ideal situation, but should we just keep churning out the same type of lineup every year that just isn't getting it done?

There aren't any magical fixes out there, and there isn't much money to go crazy and sign the great FA's that aren't even there. Rather try something different. I do know that Granderson and Swisher aren't the answers. Neither is Martin for that matter, but C is even harder to fix right now..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Well we led in Homers, where did that get us?

Never said this was an ideal situation, but should we just keep churning out the same type of lineup every year that just isn't getting it done?

There aren't any magical fixes out there, and there isn't much money to go crazy and sign the great FA's that aren't even there. Rather try something different. I do know that Granderson and Swisher aren't the answers. Neither is Martin for that matter, but C is even harder to fix right now..

Why not roll the dice on some of our youth? I trade Cano. I'm serious.

The guy is our best player, but also due for a massive contract. We know contracts like that don't work. I'd honestly see what we might be able to get for him and give Adams a shot. If Adams fails we could try Joseph and Nunez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Why not roll the dice on some of our youth? I trade Cano. I'm serious.

The guy is our best player, but also due for a massive contract. We know contracts like that don't work. I'd honestly see what we might be able to get for him and give Adams a shot. If Adams fails we could try Joseph and Nunez.
    I have no problem with that either.

Was honestly just saying stuff I thought had at least a slight possibility of happening, I know it was slight at best, though. We all know this team doesn't think like that, I'm sure the only two outcomes with Cano are either losing him for nothing, or overpaying big time.

Hoping for some kind of shake-up though, team needs it IMO. I'm not one of those "sky is falling" types, and I do realize we still made it to the 2nd round, but with some tweaks, could have what it takes to go further.

vCash
    you cant go all from Homerun power to slap hitters, thats just absurd .

that would fill the team with

jeter <---leadoff hitter
    ichiro
    bourne
    gardner <---Unproven
    with leadoff type play

you add Martin who other than september had a bad year and who i think will be back

that will put the bulk of the pressure of driving in runs to Teix cano and arod

still have no idea who the DH would be

Now as much as people want to complain about the homerun or nothing that I agree, those homeruns count, those homeruns were the main reason we made it to the post season on such an inconsistent year with the bats. the problem isnt hitting too many homers.

the defense would be much improved in the OF but then they would be banking on:

jeter - one year older, coming back from injury
    ichiro - one year older
    teix -
    cano - who doesnt seem to be someone to build around on
    arod - one eyar older and a question mark
    DH - who we dont know who he is
    russell martin - who is a question mark with the bat
    bourne - a lot of money for someone who replicates a better brett gardner
    gardner - a question mark

Theres no way to build a team for the post season as many here complain about, you just cant, post season performances factor from year to year depending on matchups, when you face better pitching your offense will suffer.

how many teams fill their team with slap hitters and have won a WS?
    i know the rays and angels used to focus on defense and small ball with good SP

what i would do? at the moment i wouldnt do anything , There isnt a quick fix, you could make trades based on future so dropping maybe a arod even if you dont get back anything is one way to go, dont make trades for brand names unless they make sense , no more long term contracts. involve more the minor leaguers, if they are letting swisher go then play dickerson and mustellier.

we might not win a WS in a couple of years but its the only way for this team to get younger and healthier

vCash
    Yes, 40 HR is 40 HR. But honestly, how many runs does Granderson cost us, when he comes up with men on and can't even make contact?

Or Swisher, who basically gets hot for a bit, and then is next to useless?

And it isn't like the guys we replace them with would have no RBI's or production. It would be a lineup that would put constant pressure on the opposition.

And how much does Bourn cost? Don't know yet. What I do know, is that he is a guy capable of hitting .280/.350 with 50 or more steals. Or Pagan, who I couldn't see costing a ton. He should be able to put up a legit .290/.350 with us, 30 steals, maybe 70 RBI.

How about making a deal for Choo, signing Bourn or Pagan, and then putting Gardner in there?

And get something back of use in a deal for Granderson?

The power or nothing lineup hasn't worked. It isn't like these guys are 40 HR hitters that also hit .330. And honestly, is there that much difference between what Swisher gives us, and what these guys would? 15 HR's or so, thats about it. The runs/RBI's would get spread around more, but they would be there..
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 10-21-2012 at 02:35 PM.

vCash
    Yes, 40 HR is 40 HR. But honestly, how many runs does Granderson cost us, when he comes up with men on and can't even make contact?

And it isn't like the guys we replace them with would have no RBI's or production. It would be a lineup that would put constant pressure on the opposition.

And how much does Bourn cost? Don't know yet. What I do know, is that he is a guy capable of hitting .280/.350 with 50 or more steals.

How about making a deal for Choo, signing Bourn, and then putting Gardner in left?

For all the "cold" spells Swisher had, he was our 2nd best offensive player.

vCash

And how much does Bourn cost? Don't know yet. What I do know, is that he is a guy capable of hitting .280/.350 with 50 or more steals.

How about making a deal for Choo, signing Bourn, and then putting Gardner in left?

A lot of those come from the benefit of playing in Yankee Stadium.

vCash
    For all the "cold" spells Swisher had, he was our 2nd best offensive player.
    All the more reason to make some changes. Although the injuries play a part in your statement. Don't hate the guy, but at the same time, he isn't the answer. And we know he can't get it done when it counts. Unless he somehow comes dirt cheap, which I don't see happening, how could you not want a change there?

vCash
    All the more reason to make some changes. Although the injuries play a part in your statement. Don't hate the guy, but at the same time, he isn't the answer. And we know he can't get it done when it counts. Unless he somehow comes dirt cheap, which I don't see happening, how could you not want a change there?
    Because he was our second best offensive player.

Who do you replace him with? A downgrade?

vCash

So is the answer paying him more than he is worth?

Want 4 or 5 more years of him? I don't.

Especially at anywhere near the numbers he is rumored to be looking for. How about trying for Choo? You don't think he could put up at least that production in Yankee stadium?
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 10-21-2012 at 02:58 PM.

vCash
    So is the answer paying him more than he is worth?

Want 4 or 5 more years of him? I don't.

Especially at anywhere near the numbers he is rumored to be looking for
    Do we make the team better or do we make the team worse?

It's easy to jettison everyone on the team. But if you can't replace them, the Yankees are worse off. Nick Swisher is the best OFer on the market save Josh Hamilton. So you can overpay a dude who will be on the field 70% of the season. Or see what Swisher wants. Or, downgrade with Ichiro, Ross, etc.

If you're worried about overpaying, look at the 2nd baseman. That's the guy to be scared of.

vCash
    Do we make the team better or do we make the team worse?

It's easy to jettison everyone on the team. But if you can't replace them, the Yankees are worse off. Nick Swisher is the best OFer on the market save Josh Hamilton. So you can overpay a dude who will be on the field 70% of the season. Or see what Swisher wants. Or, downgrade with Ichiro, Ross, etc.

If you're worried about overpaying, look at the 2nd baseman. That's the guy to be scared of.
    Rather downgrade than overpay him.

And I don't want Hamilton. Would be a disaster here. Honestly, would have to be a sweet deal for me to even think about rolling the dice on him.

Feel like we have overpaid enough, done with it..

vCash
    i rather keep swisher than go for someone else unless its a trade that makes sense.

here is the issue, everyone sees these players (upton, bourne, stanton, who ever FA) and see their production and automatically think ohhhh they are totally replacing swishers value , they are an upgrade because our team is all homer or nothing.

Well lets look at history:

Mark Teixeira
    Curtis granderson
    Jason Giambi

what do they have in common? you can go get and acquire their production based on past performances on their pre-yankee days, are those players the same after playing for the yankees? that short porch? the lineup? it has nothing to do with the player. its the stadium, the approach of the collective team

Those pre-yankee numbers doesnt mean they translate to what we will get from them, teix was a high avg high production guy who now cant seem to use the field, same was giambi, granderson was a triples machine SB threat and now is a power hitter.

Swisher has been consistent with his overall numbers across the board everywhere hes played. this year he cut off on the walks at the start f the year trying to get a good pay day with power numbers but he was back at it in the final months.

now Bourne is a top CF, there are many teams that will want to go after him, he will be expensive, sure the 50 sbs are good, and his High avg, but we cant guarantee his high AVG on our team, we cant guarantee the SB's unless hes playing down in the order cause the guys on top arent being sent that much cause you risk taking bats out of the "power guys"

Now swisher isnt the problem, he isnt the meat of the lineup, hes not the guy counted on to produce, hes a complimentary player to a team who if you surround with the right guys he will be good.

Swishers deficiencies are put on the view of the haters when the rest of the lineup isnt producing. If cano and teix and arod arent being the run producers then it falls on swishers hands to be that guy and he just isnt.

Now lets focus on Choo, hes put similar production to swisher but he adds a great RF arm and SB,s For the right price he would be a good fit ( granted we dont know how his numbers change once hes a yankee) but he would cost prospects something I do not want to part cause that means we have to keep signing one year deals on patch holes and keep getting old.

So i rather bring back swisher and not do any significant trade unless it makes sense than just trade away prospects and add patch hole old guys. Ibanez worked great but you arent getting that same production every year

vCash

but he didn't hit in the psotseason. a bad 2 week span clearly overrides the other 6 months of the season. clearly out bes thitters this year were ibanez, jeter and martin................
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast